+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bachelor 10: Inspired? Family, Exercise, Give Back etc

Bachelor 10: Inspired? Family, Exercise, Give Back etc

How has Bachelor 10 inspired you? Family, Exercise, Give Back etc

I found the Bachelor 10 interesting for many reasons this year.

Andy, and the woman made me think of some things.

Andy brought up something he was told as a child to ask:

What can I do to help?

This question has impacted on who he is. He volunteers and is driven by this.

I want to instil that question into my kids.

I do not volunteer in major things, I do little things when I see how I can help.

I am not telling anyone to overextend themselves. There is a right time and a wrong time to volunteer.

But the question of What can I do to help? Should be more in the for front. Little things, helping a mom with a stroller, someone get off a park bench, giving someone change at the grocery store, helping answer some phones for a few minutes at the kids school, when the secretary is busy etc. Little things as well go a long way.

Children find their own ways to help early on: picking things that fell for other adults, giving other kids their own Halloween candy, bringing in the neighbours garbage can or recycle bin, so the wind will not move it etc. The important thing is to see what the need is and to act on the littlest of needs.

At a young age he was into swimming etc.

Athletics is such a part of who he is. I understand that Project Active, is much more then just sports and running shoes. But it had me thinking if people are collecting running shoes for others, should I at least not use mine for being more active. I may not be able to run, but at least I should do as much as possible to get my body the healthiest it can be.

Tessa mentioned in an interview, that her family would wake up and go for a run before opening presents on Christmas. I found this odd, but then I thought, about the family being together and exercising.

Danielle's parents crossing the finish line together.

Of course it depends on everyone's individual physical health. (See your doctor).

I have been inspired to make a point to exercise more, (what I can do.)

Now the catch phrase is to spend family time with board games. What if that family time is outside, playing in the snow, playing or swimming together, going for a walk, biking, or a run, etc.

As a family, emphasis will be placed on spending time being physical.

I have always knew it is up to me to decide what I want my family and children to remember and think about many years from now. Watching Tessa and Andy as adults talking about things from their childhood, real brings that message home.

Tessa's mom mentioned she did not know how the Inca trail event impacted Tessa. (Paraphrasing) I know and knew this, but to see it in others enforces my resolve that my children should be seeing a very good film. It is our attitudes and how we make our children feel that may determine the rest of their lives.

Last but not least: I really liked Tessa's decorum. Tessa and some of the other ladies set good examples for other young girls and ladies on how to behave. Hopefully more of this kind of behaviour seen on TV will send a better moral messages to young ladies then some of the not so nice messages of idols out their. (I am not saying all idols are not nice.)

Were you inspired in any way, or have you paused to think of things you may not have thought of?

Re: Bachelor 10: Inspired? Family, Exercise, Give Back etc

MomLady

Now we have to walk the walk. My heart is in it, my head is in it, my checkbook is in it, and now I'm read to be involved in a hands-on approach as well. The best way to show that we were touched by these kids is to follow their example.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Commit random acts of kindness!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

There is a lot of good suggestions and food for thought in your post MomLady. Thank you for that, it was really very lovely.

I found Danielle to be inspiring. She has not allowed grief to squash her like a bug. It may have squashed her for a time, but she is a butterfly now.

Quote Originally Posted by blasie;2441860;
    MomLady

Now we have to walk the walk. My heart is in it, my head is in it, my checkbook is in it, and now I'm read to be involved in a hands-on approach as well. The best way to show that we were touched by these kids is to follow their example.
    I totally agree, the best way is to lead by their example. I wonder if Andy and Tessa will ever realise or imagine how many people they have reached not just as viewers but also as people that want to follow their example.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2442296;
    There is a lot of good suggestions and food for thought in your post MomLady. Thank you for that, it was really very lovely.

I found Danielle to be inspiring. She has not allowed grief to squash her like a bug. It may have squashed her for a time, but she is a butterfly now.

lopevian, that is so nicely said. Very true of Danielle, she has a beautiful smile.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2442296;
    This is so beautifully said!!! And I totally agree with you, I found Danielle to be very inspiring, too! She has definitely grown from that tragical experience, she's very mature and has class, and she also seems to be a real sweetheart. I think there are many people who should take a leaf out of her book!
    Live well, laugh often, love with all your heart and as though you've never been hurt before

Andy has inspired me to lose weight. I was 300 pounds, and was needing to lose weight to stay alive. I figure if Andy can ride about 80 miles a day and do everything he does, I can lose some weight. I started May 6 and I have already lost 30 pounds. He is a doctor and he has saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by lyn0521;2444695;
    Andy has inspired me to lose weight. I was 300 pounds, and was needing to lose weight to stay alive. I figure if Andy can ride about 80 miles a day and do everything he does, I can lose some weight. I started May 6 and I have already lost 30 pounds. He is a doctor and he has saved my life.
    Lyn,

I am so happy for you.

Congratulations on make the all important decission to start making the difference.

I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by MomLady; 06-18-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Lyn0521 way to go on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.

! Congratulations on your weight loss. You are doing it and you should be so proud! Keep it up!

Lyn - I'm so glad for you. Keep up the good work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast