+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top THIS!!

FORT Newbie

Top THIS!!

This season's The Bachelor now presents ABC with a real dilemma. FINALLY, we did see a real love story emerge. We probably saw it develop faster than Andy and Tessa realized it! Their relationship appears to have a real chance of lasting. Not everyone is satisfied, but I can't imagine anyone NOT feeling that we've seen something special.

So how is ABC going to do better next time (other than the manipulative editing)? Many viewers will no longer be satisfied with just watching the surreal dating scene of 20-somethings lusting after each other in fancy locales and dream places. Other than the voyeurs among us, I'd think that most of us want to see participants that are "more real", relationships develop that aren't just "eye candy", and results that last. Everyone likes a happy ending; how is ABC going to give us one that tops Andy and Tessa?

Here's an idea: either change the name of the show to "Dating for the Desperate", or have the next set of episodes show us Trista/Ryan, Mary/Byron and "where are they now" segments on other participants. Give us a break from failed love stories and bring us up-to-date on our favorite bachelors/ettes. Give us some closure and let us feel good about the few "matches" that actually worked.

CI

Re: Top THIS!!

Here's an idea: either change the name of the show to "Dating for the Desperate", or have the next set of episodes show us Trista/Ryan, Mary/Byron and "where are they now" segments on other participants. Give us a break from failed love stories and bring us up-to-date on our favorite bachelors/ettes. Give us some closure and let us feel good about the few "matches" that actually worked.
    CarolinaInsider I love that idea
    Last edited by lildago; 05-29-2007 at 09:44 AM.

FORT Fogey

I love that idea too - maybe for the in-between seasons! If they continue to cast real people with true intentions, or at least older casting (forget the 21-24 crowd) then there might be hope. I think 25-35 would be best! At least they have a little time post-college to "find themselves" and we might have more chance for the love stories to emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;2423165;
    I love that idea too - maybe for the in-between seasons! If they continue to cast real people with true intentions, or at least older casting (forget the 21-24 crowd) then there might be hope. I think 25-35 would be best! At least they have a little time post-college to "find themselves" and we might have more chance for the love stories to emerge.
    I'm in agreement on your casting idea. For the previous "I found Love on the Bachelor" though, a one hour special slipped into the summer schedule sometime in August would be perfect. This would get us primed for the next season.

TPTB take potluck every year with the casting. I doubt (though I hope to eat my words) that they will be so lucky the next go-round. They have to find a bachelor with Andy's commitment to finding a mate, and women who will respond to that commitment. Not so easy to find.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Great idea!
    I've been thinking for days that the next Bachelor show won't compare to the wonderful ending of this one. What are the odds that the result would be back-to-back happy endings? Not much chance of that happening so soon again is my thought. Doesn't give me alot of desire to watch a big party with empty promises and meaningless dates!

Quote Originally Posted by bandmfan;2423177;
    Great idea!
    I've been thinking for days that the next Bachelor show won't compare to the wonderful ending of this one. What are the odds that the result would be back-to-back happy endings? Not much chance of that happening so soon again is my thought. Doesn't give me alot of desire to watch a big party with empty promises and meaningless dates!
    Unfortunately for us happy ending folks, I think you are spot on in this assessment as previous seasons tell you. Let's look at it:
    Alex/Amanda: Broke up (I am not sure they made it to the airing of the finale)
    Aaron/Helene: Broke up less than a month after the finale
    Trista/Ryan: Married and Pregnant!!
    Andrew/Jen S: Broke up less than a year after the finale airing, they lived together for awhile before the break up.
    Bob/Estella: Broke up and barely made it past the airing of finale (you could tell at Trista/Ryan's wedding that there was tension btwn Bob and Estella.
    Merideth/Ian: Broke up but lasted as an engaged couple for a year.
    Jesse/Jessica: Broke up, barely made it past the finale
    Byron?Mary: Engaged to be married, date set for this fall (is it me or have they changed the date more than any couple in history? lol)
    Jen/Jerry: Broke up on the ATFR show when Jen blindsided him with the "we're just friends" when he thought she would say yes to marriage proposal. I almost stopped watching after that season.
    Charlie/Sara: Still together, living together in LA
    Travis/Sarah: Broke up, didn't make it to the finale airing
    Lorenzo/Jen: Broke up within a week of finale airing
    Andy/Tessa: Engaged w/Tessa moving to Hawaii pending.
    They were not sucessful until the third season, and there were 4 unsuccessful seasons between Trista and Byron. Only one unsucessful season between Byron and Charlie but two unsucessful seasons between Charlie and Andy. They have not as of yet had back to back seasons of total sucess though the caveat is that Andrew and Merideth did last awhile with their f1's before the break ups.

Compare it to "real life dating". The track record appears to be the same or slighty better. We aren't successful with every person we date either.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Great idea CarolinaInsider!

I'd love to see and hear about the happy couples after all this time.

FORT Fogey

Wonderful idea!

I would love to see a special showing the happy and successful couples from the TB. Perhaps they could include some of the footage that never made the cut for TV.

I would love to see an OUTTAKES show - scenes not shown before. There have got to be lots of GREAT scenes that were never shown for various reasons that would be really interesting to see. The only marketing issue might be that only previous viewers would really appreciate them, so there may not be enough of an audience. Still, I would personally find that interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast