+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amber - Bachelor 10

Re: Amber - Bachelor 10

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;2362271;
    Fort Bend principal reassigned over The Bachelor
    She approved teacher's taking time off to appear on the TV show

from the Houston Chronicle.

Fort Bend principal reassigned over Bachelor | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
    Wow, that's really upsetting. Why on earth would a school board transfer AND demote the bachelorette's boss? Makes no sense at all. I wonder if the school board had instructed the principal to deny the leave-of-absense but the principal went against their wishes and granted it? Or, perhaps the school board has previously experienced trouble with that principal and were simply looking for an excuse to get her out of the principal job? Too much past head-butting?

That's pretty bad that the person getting the punishment wasn't even the contestant. Perhaps the school board is trying to use this situation as a deterrant to future reality-show wanna-bes? Teachers normally get only a couple personal-leave days per school year, plus some sick days. That is one of the sacrifices of teaching... your commitment to your employer's calendar has to be stronger than your commitment to your personal life. But then you get 10 weeks in the summer to make up for it. Their leave is much more restricted than in normal jobs, since teachers have fewer annual work-days than most careers and they HAVE to be replaced by a substitute. Maybe the board is P.O.ed cuz they had to pay a substitute all those days?

Anyway, there must be more to this story, and I bet it has to do with the principal's history rather than Amber's absence.

And who are these parents who are freaking out because the kids' teacher is gone for a month? Would they complain if she'd been in an accident and been injured for a month, or ill, or maternity-leave, or death in the family? Just seems weird... as if the parents would care at all about the absense except it happened at TEST-time. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;2362363;
    Anyway, there must be more to this story, and I bet it has to do with the principal's history rather than Amber's absence. And who are these parents who are freaking out because the kids' teacher is gone for a month? Would they complain if she'd been in an accident and been injured for a month, or ill, or maternity-leave, or death in the family? Just seems weird... as if the parents would care at all about the absense except it happened at TEST-time. Good grief.
    Who are these parents? They're the ultra-comptetive folks who freak out if their school's test scores aren't the best. They're the people who drive good people out of education. We don't know how many people were upset. The truth is that it could have been two, and unfortunately, a few bad apples can run off a principal. And don't you know Amber is feeling horrible about that and is reconsidering her career choice.

That's ridiculous about the firing of the principal. I'm glad that Amber had proper permission to do the show. But it must be awful for her to find this out.

I'm more impressed with Amber this week. She's the younger one, but she's really quite mature and seems to work really well with Andy. And he really seems to have fun and appreciate her love for her children and teaching.

But the preview shows that the family date thing doesn't go well at all for Amber.

I think I saw in the preview that Andy carries Bevin, and Tessa to the overnight special date, but I don't remember seeing the third girl. And the Andy said that going down to 3 girls was the hardest decision. So I wonder if he has to choose between Amber and Danielle?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;2362363;
    And who are these parents who are freaking out because the kids' teacher is gone for a month? Would they complain if she'd been in an accident and been injured for a month, or ill, or maternity-leave, or death in the family? Just seems weird... as if the parents would care at all about the absense except it happened at TEST-time. Good grief.
    I don't know. Seems to me they're probably parents who care about their kids' education, who know that their kids benefit emotionally and intellectually from having consistent contact with their teacher and may feel distressed and have their learning unduly interrupted without it, and who would likely be perfectly understanding if the teacher were sick or injured or in a family crisis or attending an important class or something.

Nevertheless, they don't think it's right to sacrifice consistency in their kids' education and their emotional lives right smack dab in the middle of the school year for the sake of a silly reality show and a 23-year-old's desire to be on tv and to meet a guy, especially when they -- and their kids -- were lied to about it.

Very seldom are substitutes able to seamlessly educate the kids like their regular teacher can, just because the substitute doesn't know the kids and isn't in the learning rhythm of the class at first; plus, the district has to pay for those substitutes, and that money could obviously be better used elsewhere. I think it's no wonder the principal got canned.

I felt bad that Amber's parents didn't step up and support their daughter. She really wanted them to. I can relate, but I wouldn't want Andy to meet my family...lol They are all nuts!

FORT Fan

I did not see Amber melting the way she did - from what we have seen, she seemed put together - i think having to leave coupled with her family not giving Andy a welcome like the others all did just did her in - but then the reference to all other men - ouch - i thought she would have a graceful exit - guess not -

FORT Fogey

I think that Amber's meltdown unfortunately proved that Andy's concern about her was right -- she's not as mature as he'd hoped. TZ, I agree that her reaction was a surprise. If she'd responded to being cut as the class act, "I thought we had something special, I wish you the best" (until the cameras were away when the breakdown could ensue) that I would have expected from her, I think Andy would have been left thinking "uh-oh, did I do the right thing?" But given her reaction, and given the portrait of her we got to see with her roommate (along with the "I pictured us coming home at the end of the day, making dinner, and watching TV") it did appear that the "mature for her age" appearance was an act that Amber knew she had to put on to overcome her age. She came close, but she fell short for a good reason. That just shows that as boring as Andy seems, his perceptions of the women seem to be pretty much spot on ... or else Fleiss is determined to paint them that way!

LG.

I think part of the parents' issue (that resulted in the principal being reassigned) was due to the fact that they brought cameras into the school and filmed the kids in their classroom. The kids saw their teacher for the first time in weeks, and here she was holding hands with some guy, and he's actually dating three other women besides their teacher at this point. It is an odd thing to present to kids in a school context, and as a mom, I'd like to teach my daughter to date guys one-on-one, not 25 women to 1 man. I dunno. Based on her meltdown last night I think Andy made a good call. Now lets see if he can ditch Bevin the Drama Factory/
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by katgib13;2376510;
    I felt bad that Amber's parents didn't step up and support their daughter. She really wanted them to. I can relate, but I wouldn't want Andy to meet my family...lol They are all nuts!

I have no idea whether it's true or not, but I read somewhere that one of Amber's parents comes from an arranged-marriage tradition -- is Indian, maybe? -- and doesn't believe that this is a proper way to find a mate. If that's the case, then there is a pretty major family rift going on here for her to not only spurn an arranged marriage but go on television in hopes of getting proposed to by some guy chosen by Mike Fleiss! You can kind of see how that would produce a significant family fight!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2376545;
    I think part of the parents' issue (that resulted in the principal being reassigned) was due to the fact that they brought cameras into the school and filmed the kids in their classroom. The kids saw their teacher for the first time in weeks, and here she was holding hands with some guy, and he's actually dating three other women besides their teacher at this point.
    Plus, the kids had been led to believe that she was off caring for a sick aunt, right? I thought that was the cover story. So not only would they get sort of exploited for tv but they'd be further confused because who was this guy and what happened to the sick aunt -- Was our teaching lying to us? ... It's all pretty poor judgment on the part of Amber and her principal, it seems to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast