+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Reflection on the Military Wife

My son is a captain in the Air Force and his wife is the rock of the family. She is WONDERFUL. They have been married for 13 years, have two adorable children, one 3 and one 4 mos, and have lived in Europe, Saudi Arabia, Japan, and the US. His TDY's are difficult, especially with the kids, and he is soon to deploy for another 4 months. She probably has more understanding of military life because she spent 10 years of active duty herself. She is supportive, understanding, strong, resiliant, and adaptable to any and all situations. I am constantly amazed by her and know that my son is a very lucky man.

I have read this before and it just hits it on the nose about military spouses. I have been a military wife for 7 years now and am looking forward to many more years as one. It is very challenging but rewarding too. I have learned alot about myself and did things that I never thought I could do. I comend Andy for what he does in the Navy and hope that the one he chooses has the strength and commitment to stand by him no matter what may come.

Michelle

quality not quantity

Re: A Reflection on the Military Wife

Trying to bump this up a month after the fact in case some of the newer members might like to see it.

..."measures time in terms of places, rather than years". I can certainly relate to that. We were a Navy family for 17 years (he had been in for three years before we got married). He has been retired for many years now but we still have fond memories of all the friends we made, and the places we lived. (We moved 14 times in 17 years). Yes there were some very stressful and scary times, but I was always so proud that he had such pride in serving our country, and especially serving in the Navy. That is all he wanted to do since he was a small boy. It is a great life if you like adventure and seeing the world. Just glad I was so young when we were moving! Thanks for sharing this article......I had never seen it, but will be sure to print a copy for my scrapbook.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

I could not do it, not in a million years. A military wife has a strength I can never hope to emulate. Same for firefighters and police officers wives. I'd be a wreck. Hats off to military wives and military husbands!!
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

FORT Newbie

I made this point weeks ago in regard to Tessa. I just don't see a social worker in San Francisco being happy with a military lifestyle. As an officer, I know how it works when it comes to balancing families.

on the other hand, it could be that Andy wants out of the active navy and will just become a civilian doctor in the end. I think he is best with Bevin who will put aside her career for his..

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2376064;
    I could not do it, not in a million years. A military wife has a strength I can never hope to emulate. Same for firefighters and police officers wives. I'd be a wreck. Hats off to military wives and military husbands!!
    I agree - hats off to anyone in public service! but nliedel, don't sell yourself short. You could do it! I just happened to fall in love with a military medical officer who was on his way to a navy base in Japan. I think the challenges I faced as a newlywed only made us stronger as a couple. I remember our first fight when I was tempted to pick up the phone and call home. Then I remembered - if I were to call my family or best friend, what could they do? Plus I would just worry them. I wouldn't trade my experiences overseas for anything!

on the other hand, it could be that Andy wants out of the active navy and will just become a civilian doctor in the end.
    Absolutely true. He has another career besides being a naval officer. He is also a doctor and has said a few times that he wants to do an orthopedic surgery residency. He's done one year of general surgery internship. He'll have 5 years more to go I believe. I suppose he can do this within the Military or as a civilian. But there is no reason to think that Tessa cant have a career in social work in Hawaii or wherever they go. It's not like she's a career path financial analyst at Wells Fargo Bank in San Fransisco and cant find an equivalent job in Hawaii, or in San Diego. If she's in love and their relationship is working, they'll figure it out I am sure. He's also got his eyes set on NASA. He said that there is a spot for a Naval officer (Naval physician?) on their roster. I know they take a certain number from the military and some others from civilian life. If they want him, they'll be settling down in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;2378428;
    He's also got his eyes set on NASA. He said that there is a spot for a Naval officer (Naval physician?) on their roster. I know they take a certain number from the military and some others from civilian life. If they want him, they'll be settling down in Houston.
    When he makes it to NASA, we can all say we "knew" him when. . .! ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;2378996;
    When he makes it to NASA, we can all say we "knew" him when. . .! ; )
    Yeah, we knew him way back when he had a harem and was dating several people at the same time.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast