Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byron Velvick buys a resort in TX

"Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Fascinating. Thanks for the article, Jelle. It sounds as though he's done his homework and has a perfect partnership for this type of business. It made me want to go fish Amistead! oh, and stay at the resort.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Speaking of Byron (and Mary, too) - they are doing some of the commentary on this year's BassMaster Classic. It's this weekend, in Alabama, and you can catch some of it on ESPN2, if you get that. They both look good.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey
    I really liked watching this guy as The Bachelor so I hope things go well for him.

He and Mary have been "engaged," though, since 2004 so I can't help but wonder, What's taking Byron and Mary so bloody long to get married??

Just curious.

I'm wondering the same thing, Pom. This is one Bachelor couple I really really want to see get married.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2254595;
    Speaking of Byron (and Mary, too) - they are doing some of the commentary on this year's BassMaster Classic. It's this weekend, in Alabama, and you can catch some of it on ESPN2, if you get that. They both look good.
    Yes I saw them both . Just wondering why they have taken so long to get married? especially since Mary wanted children.. ummmmm

Quote Originally Posted by HotMomma;2265811;
    Yes I saw them both . Just wondering why they have taken so long to get married? especially since Mary wanted children.. ummmmm
    Perhaps that was Mary's stereotype that season - like Sadie's virginity - or Lisa's obsession with all things Bachelor. Pretty obvious that it has not been a priority after the second season
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar

Runaway boat pins Velvick's hopes

I thought rather than start a new thread, I'd post this article about Byron here. I am very thankful for him that he wasn't hurt seriously as a result of this accident. Read on:

Runaway boat pins Velvick's hopes
    Byron Velvick will be fishing the Battle on the Border with two bum legs
    By Kyle Carter
    ESPNOutdoors.com March 8, 2007

Byron Velvick was at the launch ramp on Day One, despite being ran over by a boat and trailer on the last day of practiceDEL RIO, Texas

Just looking at Byron Velvick sitting in his boat, waiting for takeoff at Diablo East Marina in the Battle on the Border Thursday morning, you wouldn't have thought anything was wrong.

But after what happened to him at his Del Rio, Texas home on Wednesday, Velvick is just glad to be on the water.

"Walking hurts," Velvick said. "Sitting and fishing is okay, but walking hurts."

Aaron Martens was helping Velvick hook up his boat trailer to his truck at Velvicks house on Wednesday morning as they were getting ready for their last day of practice.

Martens went inside and Velvick, thinking that the boat was hooked up, started to pull the truck out of his driveway, but the boat didn't come with him.

By the time Velvick realized the trailer had come unhooked, the boat had gained momentum down Velvick's steep driveway and was rolling toward Velvick and the truck he was in.

"I move forward and I see the boat coming at me, but it's too far away [to still be hooked to the truck]," Velvick said. "So I get out of the truck and try to slow it down. I grab it, but it keeps going and pushes me toward the truck, which is still running, and it pins me into the truck."

The boat hit the truck first and then took a turn toward the motor home of fellow Elite pro Chris Lane, where Lane's wife and family were still sleeping. Velvick was able to stop the boat's momentum by using his body as a wedge between the boat and the truck, but he paid the price.

"I start screaming for my friends to help me, but for five minutes they were inside and they couldn't hear me," he said. "I'm hurting real bad and the trucks running and the tail pipe is burning my leg, but I'm just pinned. I checked to see if I can do anything, but I can't even wiggle or move from the waist down."

Martens eventually made it out of the house and saw the situation, but he wasn't able to push the boat off of Velvick.

"He had to run back in and grab [help]," Velvick said. "They had to chock two tires on the trailer and pull the truck forward to get me out of there."

Velvick said he was in a lot of pain, but he had to get on the water and see if he would be able to fish.

"I had to," he said. "I was hurting, but I wanted to get out and fish and see if I could get through it."

After testing his legs on the water, Velvick went to the hospital to get everything officially checked out. The doctors said he had a severe contusion on his left thigh and right calve, but there were no broken bones. He was prescribed pain killers and an anti-inflammatory.

As a result of the incident, Velvick said he is going to fish from his seat all day which will affect what he was hoping to do.

"It's going to slow me down," he said. "I'm not going to be running and gunning like I was. I was going to cover a lot of water, but I can't now. I am going to pull up to a spot and spend a little more time there. Hopefully it will work out."

link-ESPN
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Ouch! Poor Byron, but glad that he will be okay. Thank you for the article, Cafegirl.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac;2254809;
    I really liked watching this guy as The Bachelor so I hope things go well for him.

He and Mary have been "engaged," though, since 2004 so I can't help but wonder, What's taking Byron and Mary so bloody long to get married??

Just curious.

Has it really been that long? Wow. I kind of forgot about them but I really do wish they would get married already.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast