+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dr. Andy Baldwin - Bachelor 10

Re: Dr. Andy Baldwin - Bachelor 10

Great post, jelle! ITA..I dont think Bevin cares what's going on in Andy's life as far as relationships. She's happy in her own.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

The interview with Andy's mom has helped me to understand "why the broken engagement?" I don't believe the status of their relationship has changed, just the label of it so that people stop asking "when is the wedding?" Putting myself in their shoes it has got to be tough feeling like everyone is judging the depth and commitment of your relationship based on whether you've set a date or not. Now they can just be in love and have their relationship and do it their way, on their own timetable, without that nagging question coming up at every turn. I really wish this show would not deem a success as an engagement. That is not realistic after 6 weeks, in a reality show type setting. It puts too much pressure on and then does not allow a couple to be real afterwards in developing the relationship in a normal way without the public and media judging their every move.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by toni;2528839;
    sad to hear about the engagement, but glad they're still a couple. andy's my space page is no longer private and there's a picture of the "new" ring on page 3.
    I look at the positive in all of this maybe it's a good thing that they broke off the engagement but not their relationship. I'm sure we all read the article in the Lancaster News paper posted here from Andy's mother. What she said make alot of sense they realized they were doing things backwards. Andy & Tessa need to get to know one another first before being engaged. In all their inteviews when asked about wedding plans they always commented we are taking is slow. I remember an interview from Andy & Tessa that they called their engagment a date-gagement. I agree with his mother that Andy & Tessa have been put under a lot pressure from the media, fans about getting married. As his mother stated that they are no longer engaged but still a couple.

I don't really know why they have to go through the broken engagement.They still have to deal with the questions of why,what went wrong and the media will still hound them.A long engagement would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by TNmomof4;2529462;
    The interview with Andy's mom has helped me to understand "why the broken engagement?" I don't believe the status of their relationship has changed, just the label of it so that people stop asking "when is the wedding?" Putting myself in their shoes it has got to be tough feeling like everyone is judging the depth and commitment of your relationship based on whether you've set a date or not. Now they can just be in love and have their relationship and do it their way, on their own timetable, without that nagging question coming up at every turn. I really wish this show would not deem a success as an engagement. That is not realistic after 6 weeks, in a reality show type setting. It puts too much pressure on and then does not allow a couple to be real afterwards in developing the relationship in a normal way without the public and media judging their every move.
    Yep! I can't imagine the pressure of being in a relationship at that stage with all the pressure of expectations from well meaning people, such as us, who just want our HAPPY ENDING! We can all speculate on where their relationship is going from here and what the main issues are (I have my own theories which I'm struggling to keep to myself since their relationship is no longer any of my business and I don't know them at all), but it's so good for them that they can step back and reclaim their lives and keep things as private as they wish. I'm sure we'll hear the ultimate ending in time.
    btw: I'm still waiting to hear if Meredith ever found true, lasting love. I hope so. I would imagine that we would know if she has gotten married.
    Also, The ONLY way that I'll be be watching Bach 11 is if it's entertaining, no way would I expect true love to result, NO way at all.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cape;2527686;
    If this is true - does it affect your desire to watch this season?

I have to be honest - I knew Mary and Byron would make it and Trista and Ryan - and I feel like Tessa and Andy rank up there - I will be pretty disappointed if this is true! I never felt like any of the other bachelors were in love - but I really thought they had what it takes!!

I doubt I will fall into Fleiss' love story trap again!! Although - Andy and Tessa do seem to have given it a real chance!

Just because they aren't sure now that they're on the fast track to marriage doesn't mean that they didn't and don't have genuine feelings for each other. Seems to me that the show did give us the only thing we have the right to hope for -- People who really fall for each other over the course of the show. I just don't think they could possibly have faked the feelings that I saw.

If they have strong feelings that ultimately fade or that they doubt for awhile before they ultimately make them sure again, well, then they're just like everybody else.

On the show, they truly didn't get to know each other as well as you need to to be engaged, that's all. Congratulations to them for having the good sense to figure that out, especially given that Andy's situation is so much in flux at this point.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nutty1;2528827;
    I totally see your point, and agree with you. You have to work hard & compromise to make a relationship work. The long distance relationship is going to be tough to endure. There will always be the chance of deployment/relocation if he is in the military, and she knew that. They were my favorite ever couple, but I don't think her heart is in it as much as his.

I agree with that, but I think he was free to have his heart in it more only because, from his point of view, having Tessa would be all gain for him, without him having to make any changes in his way of life. She was just icing on the cake, and I truly can't imagine the very very driven Andy Baldwin contemplating big changes in his plans, goals, dreams, and approaches just to be with a partner.

For Tessa, she could clearly see from the beginning that fitting into his life would demand a lot of changes in her life, her goals, etc., and that's inevitably going to make you a bit more hesitant, especially if you're in such a whirlwind romance situation, which makes many sensible people uneasy in the first place.

Love didn't have to carry Andy nearly as far. She woudl come to him. She would live where his career plans take him. She would do the shopping and work out and wait for him to come home. Nothing wrong with that, on his part, but there's nothing in that to make him doubt whether his love is a really strong commitment. He would remain having to be *only* really strongly committed to the life he already had planned for himself, while having the added benefit of a lovely woman to revel in as well.

She has to give up her own visions and commit herself to his, and it takes a much much stronger love to be willing to commit to that, for some people. "Engagement" had to be a much bigger word, for her.

ETA: Rileymeboy wrote: Tessa has made several trips to HI, each time, there seemed to be something Andy was involved in which they were to particapate in. Where was the alone time, to simply enjoy their time together and get to know each other better. I can only imagine how exhausted she is.

To which I say, exactly. Andy has a very very very full plate of a life for himself, and, I suspect, plans an even fuller plate in the future. He's pretty much already demonstrated, with this kind of thing, that he isn't a person who can easily slow that down, even to see his beloved for a few days. Some partners will be happy with that, but not all will. I think Tessa's wondering whether she's one who can be, having noticed by now that it's true.
    Last edited by natashapierre; 08-16-2007 at 12:20 PM.

ITA...Andy's time will not be his own for several years. Among his committments to the Navy, his surgical residencies, and triathlon what time is left to set up housekeeping now? It makes absolutely no sense for Tessa to make a huge life-style change which would most likely lead to resentment on her part for being thrust into a situation where neither one of them have any say in where they will go or what they will do.

Regardless of how this plays out long term, for now if and when they are with each other it will be because they want to be together, and it will take some degree of effort, and with any luck not only on Tessa's part.

If Andy wants to make this work he should meet Tessa half-way. I said this on another board and was criticized by some who were supposedly in the know, who said that he was very aware of her feelings. Getting up at 4A.M. to swim in the dark sounds like a deal breaker to me. My guess would be that the last swim race that was over 2 miles long was the last straw. Tessa may be athletic, but she has nowhere near the muscle-mass Andy has and a sports medicine doctor should be able to assess her abilities.

Whatever their hopes and dreams are we may never know, but I doubt this is the last we hear of Andrew Baldwin, M.D. As for Tessa, lovely, poised, intelligent, kind; I wish that she attains personal fulfillment and inner peace.

Don't drink the KoolAid

Commit random acts of kindness!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by blasie;2529694;
    Whatever their hopes and dreams are we may never know, but I doubt this is the last we hear of Andrew Baldwin, M.D.
    Me, too. I expect him to go for astronaut training, finish more medical training during which time he'll be a spokesperson and charity leader for some high-profile causes, fly some space missions and be the handsome and charismatic spokesperson for the shuttle crew or whatever, then run for Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by cape;2529023;
    I just read this on Andy's myspace page
    30 y/o Navy diver, doctor, triathlete based in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. I love Tessa so much and cherish the time we spend together. She is a dream come true. But it is definitely so long fantasy, hello reality. Sometimes people forget that we too are human beings, with emotions, stressors, fears and real life ups and downs. I have been doing my job as undersea medical officer, providing coverage on submarines, and diving operations, racing triathlons for the Navy, helping with recruiting, and trying to make a difference in the Hawaii community. My passion is health and fitness and working with children. Life works in mysterious ways, you never know what is going to come your way, anything is possible, so smile, help others in need, and live life to the fullest because you never know which day will be your last.
    To me, it sounds like he's doesn't have enough time for their relationship.

+ Reply to Thread