+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bachelor fans Researched and Critiqued

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar

Bachelor fans Researched and Critiqued

I found this article and thought it was worth a discussion while we "Bachelor" fans wait for Bachelor Rome. My first impression of it was, "Very interesting that message boards about the Bachelor( ette) were worth doing a college study" (did you guys realize we are specimens to be studied, just like we dissect the show's participants? ). My second impression was that, the author of this article must not be able to distinguish sarcasm from reality as he seems to be accusing some fans or else he wasn't reading the FORT's snark-a-lious (and yes, Mr. Pettus, that word is probably not taught in the public school system ) comments to know that the majority of us watch this show not just with a grain of salt but an entire shaker! What do you guys think of the comments in this article? Do we need to "get real"?

Fans of this TV show need to get real

By Gary Pettus
    gpettus@clarionledger.com

Viewers of reality TV prefer fantasy over reality in some shows, says a researcher who studied message boards for ABC's The Bachelorette.

Beth Montemurro, assistant professor of sociology at Penn State, has come to that conclusion in the case of bachelorette Jen Schefft, who was blasted by a bitter band of message boarders - on one board nearly 100 attacked her; only 15 backed her up.

Her crime? Schefft admitted she had not fallen in love and turned down all her suitors. Viewers of The Bachelorette (an updated Dating Game) expressed contempt for Schefft. It seems they preferred a fake happy ending to her "unhappy" reality.

After reading some of those messages, I drew a conclusion of my own: The U.S. education system needs a complete overhaul. Or, as it might be spelled on some message boards: "overhawl."

A REAL BASKIN CASE

I also concluded that it might be fun to copy these messages and reply to them in this column, which I've done, in italics. I'm assuming that the sentiments expressed in them are real:

... What a bummer! You spend all this time watching someone whittle away at a pool of 25 suitors, and she picks no one?

That's worse than going to Baskin Robbins and discovering they ran out of pralines and cream.

I know what you mean. It's like picking out a necktie pattern and discovering they ran out of pigs in tutus. It's like choosing a birthday present for your dog and discovering they're out of fake vomit.

You spend "all this time" watching a TV show when you could have been talking to your kids or reading a book or writing a letter to your sick grandmother and this happens to you. Jen is so selfish.

Does anyone know what became of 2 time loser Jen Schift? It was bad enough she got Andrew Firestone, broke that off and then had her own show and screwed two guys around because she doesn't know what she wants in life. ...

Imagine how screwed-over they felt - going on national TV knowing they had a 1 in 25 chance of winning, realizing that millions of other women would see them and try to contact them to offer a loving balm for their wounded souls. They're like those candidates who run for office with little chance of winning, but get thousands of dollars worth of free advertising for their businesses. Let's tattoo a scarlet "A" on Jen's forehead.

BYRON BEWARE

... I decided right then and there never again would I get snookered into believing this show was going to give us one choice over the other... I have not watched an episode of The Bachelor since. I loved it when Byron & Mary took their relationship a step further.... wonder if they are still together?

Let's see: They met on a TV show, they've been subject to criticism of their every move by strangers, and their professions of love were notarized by a dead flower the color of spilled blood.

What more do you need for a lasting relationship?

I hate getting "snookered" by TV, too. It's usually so honest.

... She was a terrible bacelorette. How could she not pick that yummy John Paul? OMG he had it all. And only 25.....Wow.... She was sickening.

Sickening? OMG, yes! As opposed to living your life through someone else, then condemning her for living it as she sees fit. Now that's healthy.

link
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

This person is an assistant professor of sociology at Penn State?

Awww, poor thing.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Thank you Cafegirl! That author of this article is a riot!
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

I guess I have to check with my daughter whether or not she graced this professor's classes.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Yeah, that's brilliant. Read the ABC boards and think you know all about the show's fan base. If she spent any time over there, she won't have enough brain cells left to teach first grade recess.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    MissThing brought me in. She said something about initiation by moonlight and a chicken. I'm telling you now, no matter what you promise me, I won't get naked. Well, maybe for a prince.

everyone!

I'm fairly certain that others will fill in for MajiH when she's not totally 'in step', so to speak.

If there's anything this forum could use a few more of's (and what forum couldn't?) it's a more with the sense of Bachelorness that we all embrace.

Welcome, MajiH! Let the Fall schedule begin!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH View Post
    MissThing brought me in. She said something about initiation by moonlight and a chicken. I'm telling you now, no matter what you promise me, I won't get naked. Well, maybe for a prince.

everyone!
    Welcome to the Bachelor threads, MajiH! I see you're a BB fan. I'd say we're just as fanatical and crazy as the BB board, once the show gets going! As for that getting naked bit, I'd say that's more with the RockStar Super Nova, streaking around the pool, vein ........ we just get a little crazy about hair parts and fingernails and other various body parts here!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Hi Majih! I'm enjoying reading your take on the feeds on the BB thread. Glad to have you as part of the mania known as Barfelor - ooops - tried for witty word and blew chunks. Anyway, get ready to sleuth and snark (sometimes in the same breath.)

The author of that laughable article clearly got his research from the ABC board. We are much more articulate with any scathing remarks. Hell hath no fury like a Bachelor watcher who has been set up to crash.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Thanks, everyone! Yes, I am a huge BB fan. Techinically I am a huge everything fan. I watched The Bachelor religiously long back but fell out of step during the last two seasons. I'm ready to rip it up again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast