+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

Can you SMELLLLLLLLL what Gina is pouting about?

Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

A couple years ago in the middle of the bachelor craze, ABC Family did a movie called "Who wants to marry Ryan Banks" It was pretty much set up the same way as the bachelor but they used "keys" to his heart instead of roses and it was interactive with the viewing audience. Maybe they could do something along these lines so the couple wouldn't be separated for so long. Travis and Sarah both said this was their undoing and I think it has been the undoing of several of the couples, you can't spend 6 weeks together and then spend 4 months apart and expect things to still work, or be the same especially after the woman who is chosen views the show. I don't know if this idea would work or not, but it is a thought.

FORT Fogey
    It wouldn't reel me back in as a viewer. I'm done.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    It wouldn't reel me back in as a viewer. I'm done.

I was done after Jerry and hateful wench Jen......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Newbie
    I would think that they have to look at the long delay in between filming and the FRC. I realize that they need to edit the show, promote the show, etc, but while they're off doing that the couple is forced to be apart and fall out of love/lust/puppy love. If Fleiss and Co. weren't so caught up in making stories where there aren't any or waiting to see who wins before crafting the earlier episodes maybe they'd have a fighting chance.

I know that profits are key to continuing production, but an increase in the filming time might yield better results than rushing into production. If the bachelor cut 5 night one and had more of an opportunity to get to know those left in dating pool, his chances of finding a special someone may improve.

I wonder, if there was someone that hit the streets first night, that might have made a better impression had their been time. I believe another week or two of filming, may give some of the less aggressive a chance to shine.

Just my $.02:

After Andrew Firestone, every season the online community gets together to rant about what can be done better. Fleiss and Co. have paid no attention (even though the online community make up a small portion of the viewing audience).

Nothing will be done to fix it save a few small rule changes each season. I truly believe finding a couple who make a match is secondary to the drama, gossip and trainwreck viewing that sucks us all in.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Newbie
    No.

I think it is time for The Bachelor/Bachelorette to fade into the sunset. The premise is old and predictable. We have seen seasons when new "twists" were added and they didn't add to the show. (The exception being in the Byron season when Mary returned. If that had not happened, wonder who would have been the "one"?)

I'm through. I wouldn't have watched this season except that The Bachelor was from nearby Nashville and the ABC affiliate there gave fun updates/interviews and reeled me into watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ohforheavensake View Post
    I think it is time for The Bachelor/Bachelorette to fade into the sunset. The premise is old and predictable. We have seen seasons when new "twists" were added and they didn't add to the show. (The exception being in the Byron season when Mary returned. If that had not happened, wonder who would have been the "one"?)
    This show had an archaic premise from the get-go. When I first heard about this show, back when Alex was the bachelor, I thought "Gee, a matchmaking show, how Victorian."

After all those repeated failures, it's crystal clear, and has been since at least Jen's season, that this show is not really about bringing two strangers together and letting them find love. On a philosophical level the show is about us the viewers really, about our perverse fascination with the concept of strangers in love and of course about our own voyeurism. It caters to our curiosity about seeing other people struggle through relationships, seeing them winning and losing and witnessing their elation or disappointment.

On a more basic level, the show is about entertainment and fun, drama and conflict at the expense of a bunch of good looking people, and how a combination of those can spell warm bodies in front of TV screens and advertiser money for the network. Which is basically what all television is about. It's really not much worse than any other show in the reality genre, and it's vastly more entertaining at times.

Which is why they should find people who want to be on the show, are willilng to work to make the show work and have a bit of honesty that they are willing to share onscreen. I'm going to keep watching because the whole dynamic that we create on this board while watching the show is what makes it worthwhile for me.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    I was done after Jerry and hateful wench Jen......
    That makes two of us!

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Which is why they should find people who want to be on the show, are willilng to work to make the show work and have a bit of honesty that they are willing to share onscreen.
    What that means, paradoxically, is that anyone who isn't "there for the wrong reasons" is actually there for the wrong reasons.

There has to be a happy medium between Jesse Palmer and Travis Stork, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe Charlie O'Connell was the ideal Bachelor after all - he was under 30 (appealing to Fleiss's treasured MySpace demographic), knew how to act (a little), could be funny (occasionally), wasn't above snarking on the more flawed Bachelorettes, took the process just seriously enough to make an effort with the one he chose, and didn't fall for all the "forever" hype and end up making a proposal he would regret later (like Andrew).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast