+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Ditto Pomeraniac. I stopped watching around Byron's season and vowed not to watch again. I got sucked in midway through Travis's season in hopes that they had finally gotten back to the original formula I liked...but then I was totally disappointed. And really mad at myself for expecting them to "get" it this time when they've been getting steadily so much worse for ages. No more for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac View Post
    It wouldn't reel me back in as a viewer. I'm done.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Please explain

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9 View Post
    ... in hopes that they had finally gotten back to the format I liked... And really mad at myself for expecting them to "get" it this time when they've been getting steadily so much worse ...
    To preface: My first Bachelor was Andrew. I didn't find the "boards" until Jesse

So ... what do you all mean by "the original formula"?
    and what do you expect "them" to "get"?
    and what has gotten worse??

Seems to me that the successes are recent, so what do you want to go back to????

Pom - we missed your comments this season ...
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Quote Originally Posted by jelle View Post

Seems to me that the successes are recent, so what do you want to go back to????
    Well, it boils down to this:

1) Byron's season worked because all of the participants were older.

2) The ratings weren't that great because all of the participants were older.

3) Fleiss is thus groping around for a gimmick ('"An architect!" "A chef!") that will work without having to resort to the older participants that might make his treasured MySpace female demographic react with "Ewww, she's so, like, got wrinkles!"

Quote Originally Posted by PDilly View Post
    Maybe they should consider doing the show outside of the US again and only having a 2 week delay. It would be a nightmare for the editing folks, but it could be done.
    Maybe only two weeks to edit would be a good thing...less time to screw around with what is really going on. Or maybe they should get together with the eHarmony people and let them match up participants.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catsparks View Post
    Maybe only two weeks to edit would be a good thing...less time to screw around with what is really going on. Or maybe they should get together with the eHarmony people and let them match up participants.
    I personally love to see a shorter time period between filming and the show but I doubt it's going to happen. What I am wondering is, if the time schedule for filming in May is correct and they do the usual 6 to 7 weeks of filming, when are they going to air the show? The wrap up of filming if started around the first of May, would go through about the 2nd week of June. This would leave an even longer time than usual for the couple to be separated (unless they allow the final 2 and the guy (or girl if it's a Bachelorette series) to continue dating). I would imagine if ABC worked this into the fall schedule the earliest it would air is toward the end of Sept. That would be almost three months apart! Disaster AGAIN!! Don't these guys ever learn? I guess not!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    Well, it boils down to this:

1) Byron's season worked because all of the participants were older.

2) The ratings weren't that great because all of the participants were older.

3) Fleiss is thus groping around for a gimmick ('"An architect!" "A chef!") that will work without having to resort to the older participants that might make his treasured MySpace female demographic react with "Ewww, she's so, like, got wrinkles!"

I am not so sure the ratings can be totally attributed to the age of the participants. A lot of it has to do with what the previous season was like. It has seem that Fleiss has been quick to jump on each season and blame that particullar season for the problems or rave because of its successes. It seems like what the prior season is like has much more of an influence. I'll try to give a couple of examples, but in trying to think of them I can't remember the order of the seasons! (Reason enough there to shoot for a much younger demographic!)

Byron's was off because so many people hated Jesse's season. A lot of people gave up and didn't come back. Byron and Mary were so good that so many people heard about it, they gave it another shot and tuned in again only to be greated by Jen's fiasco. If that wasn't enough to kill any show, even some of us old die hards were very skeptical of poor Charlie. Who would have known ? ! ? He ended up being really good! His season was a "success" romance-wise but had lower ratings. Again that is really what generated the momentum for this season. We were all geared up and in full swing here way before the first show of this season actually aired. In fact some of the "greats" here had it almost down to the final two! ! ! ! Travis was riding Charlie's coat tails. It is almost guaranteed that the next season is going to have lower ratings because of Dr. Dull and his band of reknowns.

I guess I have to stoop to a very very low level. (Lower than whale poop at the bottom of the ocean) and mention Blob. Practically "everyone" tuned in thinking he was going to be so great! Thus good ratings. He almost single handedly (and double lippedly) wiped out the whole show! Very few of us wanted to or dared watch after that!

Therefore, to make a short story long, the popularity of the season depends on how good the season was before it.
    Last edited by SophieMae; 03-27-2006 at 12:34 PM.

I think you are onto something Sophie, but it has more to do with the producers overcompensating for the perceived weaknesses of the previous Bach or B'ette than anything else. Travis wasnt jamming his tongue down all the girls throats. If he had been, they probably think it would have been a successful season. Hence, the next episode will probably have a horndog as the Bachelor.

I loved Outback Jack.

I say like many cut it to ten & forget about trying to find someone that will provide extra drama. Even 10 women can create there own. Have the bachelor have a lot more in put in who is chosen for that ten. Eliminate the roses all together. Forget about editing towards the end of the show. Start editing at the beginning & forget all the voice overs put in unrealist sequences. The bach at the beginning should not have to give some onologue after each girl leaves. That is unrealistic. If it's not there it's not there. I have no problem with the final four or three & there departure. I say eliminate like outback did. NO extra one on one time & you don't know where it will happen. Spontanious elimination as with Jenny was a good thing. Although Paris is supposed to be romantic it is not all realistic but had Travis been in the outdoors as was Jack we may have seen who he really was & Jenny would have been eliminated right on the spot & not taken up space. She was not into the outdoors hated bugs had no clue how to roast hotdogs or marhmellows or what most do with them camping when they carmalize. Drop Trvais out of a parachute & the women are in the outback waiting for him. LOL Then maybe the women that should be there & want to be there would show some true colors quickly on. Just some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by intheblind View Post
    I loved Outback Jack.

I say like many cut it to ten & forget about trying to find someone that will provide extra drama. Even 10 women can create there own. Have the bachelor have a lot more in put in who is chosen for that ten. Eliminate the roses all together. Forget about editing towards the end of the show. Start editing at the beginning & forget all the voice overs put in unrealist sequences. The bach at the beginning should not have to give some onologue after each girl leaves. That is unrealistic. If it's not there it's not there. I have no problem with the final four or three & there departure. I say eliminate like outback did. NO extra one on one time & you don't know where it will happen. Spontanious elimination as with Jenny was a good thing. Although Paris is supposed to be romantic it is not all realistic but had Travis been in the outdoors as was Jack we may have seen who he really was & Jenny would have been eliminated right on the spot & not taken up space. She was not into the outdoors hated bugs had no clue how to roast hotdogs or marhmellows or what most do with them camping when they carmalize. Drop Trvais out of a parachute & the women are in the outback waiting for him. LOL Then maybe the women that should be there & want to be there would show some true colors quickly on. Just some ideas.
    I agree that if the Travis' Bach locale had been Alaska in the summer or some other wilderness setting, Travis might have been much more at ease. I don't remember Outback Jack having an abundance of booze either except when the group went into the city. Fleiss would be better served matching locales with the bachelor/ette in question. Travis did not benefit from being in Paris...now Jay may have.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Say it with me now : "FLEISS - go watch Outback Jack and see how it's really done. " Thank you. I feel better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456