+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    nrose, don't give up. Every season, when they're inevitably let down by the poor editing of this show, fans state they've given up on it. And every new premiere season, they're all right back again, glued to their TV
    Yup. We're all suckers for punishment. Bachelor/ette viewers are a rather masochistic bunch in that way.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

With all the successful couples, the "picker" had television or media experience. Trista, Mer, and Mary were previous participants and Byron, Charlie and Andrew were all comfortable with the camera/media stuff.

We all say we don't want actors, but perhaps it does work best when the Bachelor/ette is relatively comfortable/knowledgable with the environment.

Of course, Jen blows that whole theory, but I chalk that up to a character flaw. (That was being polite.)

ALSO - they should never seek out anyone - it just doesn't work - everyone must apply. The Bachelor/ette and the 25 extras need to choose to do this.

And.. move back to California .. land of make believe. Make them all live on the same grounds, like Byron, but perhaps with a few restrictions for the bachelor/ette's sanity. Reduce the alcohol budget.

I always thought that it would be really interesting if Jay had stayed on Byron's show and they had two bachelors perusing 25 women. I can't imagine that they would have been in competition for the same woman, but an interesting scenario ....

I loved Charlie's series - and it fit his personality. "Anything goes" worked well for him and thankfully, he was open to actually finding a mate. Perhaps the "hollywood" types are more open to those strange meetings. Perhaps that is their reality.

The fault in this series was the bachelor himself - he didn't really want to be there and was not suited to this kind of public exposure. It was an adventure he could not get out of. That was Fleiss fault in choice of bachelor, not the characters.

I consider there have been 5 successes for the show (Andrew was my first) - Trista, Mer, Andrew, Charlie, Byron. Jesse and Blob were failures - again because of personality - and I think Jen II did the most damage to the series. Travis will be just a blip on the radar - neutral - if they do this again. The fact that there isn't a "hook-up" hasn't shown to be a death-knell for the series.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

FORT Fan
    How could any one think that most of us would give up on this show and premise ! ? Look at how long the show has been off this time and look at how many of us keep checking in here to read, lurk, and post ! Some times now there are still more people viewing here than on the "active" shows.

We just can't seem to give up on the fairy tale. Hey, even Prince Charles didn't make it work with Diana! (or was that even reality ! ?) One of my favorite plays of all times is "In to the Woods". I just love the princes. I always think of this play when watching the Bachelor. What does happen after "Happily Ever After" ? ! I keep remembering the scene in the woods when Prince Charming finally dumps Cinderella. He states "I was raised to be charming not sincere".

Some quick suggestions:
    1. Bring back the compatability tests. Hey they could even stike up a deal with , is it?, eHarmony.com. . If they are worried about it being boring bring in half that are really compatable and half that really are not. That would keep us speculating! Let us know where they actually stood when they are elimiated.
    2. Let them date the final two for a while in the real world. Charley did get that one right. They could still have the final Rose ceremony, but tape it and show it like they do TWTA. The live one with Charley was so painful to watch even though he did go back and tell her "alone". Then go right to a live ATFR.
    3. Go for the thirty-somethings who are more ready to settle down. Byron and Mary certainly weren't boring. I think most of us will still watch it anyway. After all, I think we all want to see the "love story". I think Fleiss think he is just gearing for the 20-35 year old audience. Even though I can really only speak for myself, I have gathered from reading posts here that some of us are just a little bit past that demographic.

I am now going over to American Idol where I feel positively ancient ! ! ! !

Sophie I like alot of your suggestions. I cant help but feel that if they let the bachelor and the women live in the same house or compound like in Byron's season that will help.
    On the show Outback Jack, the guy and all of the women travelled together (camped out mostly) for the duration of the entire show except for a couple of nights spent in a hotel in Perth. He was with them 24/7. And the show started with just twelve women! The guy was a real sweetie - cried at just about every elimination. And still, after spending that much time together, when he went from 4 to 3 women he changed his mind at the last minute. Viewers didnt know this, but he spoke of it in interviews later. The one he almost let go then ended up being the girl he picked at the end. They got married a year later. He almost blew it towards the end and yet he spent alot more time with the women than any of the Bachelors are allowed to do. He also saw them interact with one another all day, every day. A much better way to get to know someone's character.
    Starting with 25 is just insane. There need to be fewer contestants, and they need to live in close proximity. How on earth can you make good decisions on who to keep and who to let go when you've spent so little time together?

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam View Post
    Starting with 25 is just insane. There need to be fewer contestants, and they need to live in close proximity. How on earth can you make good decisions on who to keep and who to let go when you've spent so little time together?
    They do need to all live in the same house, as in Byron's season. Not only for the reasons that you mention, but after a week in the company of some of them, the Bachelor is going to feel that he is being forced to hand out too many roses.

Hi Randal Gosh I miss everybody. Yup - I suppose you are right. Partly because Fleiss just loves to go for the crazy. On Outback Jack - the producers didnt do that. They didnt need to resort to that. They just found some mostly normal cute women. One at least was an actress/singer. But the drama was in the circumstances of being dropped - literally - into the Outback and coping with living in the wild while trying to impress a really nice guy. The girls didnt have to be crazy individuals in order for each show to have plenty of drama. Not to mention beautiful backdrops. I'm all for the scenic locales. They can add to the entertainment. But for Fleiss to have more successes with the Bachelor, he'll have to make changes. And he doesnt seem to think he should change much at all. Just blame the contestants. And threaten to sue them. It's alot easier.

ETA: a link to the host's journal . Really funny and insightful. A great addition to watching the show. Fleiss: take note! Letting Chris write a blog/journal each week would add alot. He's pretty funny too. And even Bertram Van Munster lets Phil write a blog. So -Fleiss - get with the program. http://tbs.com/stories/story/0,,34579,00.html
    Last edited by pajamasam; 03-23-2006 at 02:36 PM.

I agree that having them all live together would make it a lot more enjoyable and give the Bachelor a better insight into the women under not so desirable circumstances. Of all the Bachelor shows, I enjoyed Byron's the most for lots of reasons:
    1. All living together was interesting, revealing, and led to some really wild interactions.
    2. The participants were all older and ready for a commitment.
    3. The Bachelor (Byron) was mature, settled, extroverted, and very charming.
    4. They didn't try to edit it too much to eke out the mystery and just let the love story between Byron and Mary unfold. We all knew who he'd pick, it was pretty obvious.

Using Outback Jack as an example was also good. I loved that show. I was surprised by who he eventually chose, and really thought at the time it was sort of a Travis and Sarah situation. As it turned out, though, he picked the right girl and eventually fell in love and married her (but they let them see each other while the show was being televised in the U.S. - secretly of course).

Letting the couple see each other every weekend in a secret location during the run of the show, would be a good idea and help the relationship strengthen (or destroy it completely). Almost all of the couples have mentioned that the long separation didn't help and actually hurt many of the budding relationships. Byron and Mary have said that they snuck out to meet each other every chance they got. And, on For Love or $, Chad and Erin actually used disguises to meet regularly.

We will probably continue to see these shows regardless of the problems in the past because the romantic possibility that someone will find their true love reels us in.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Good points, all! I agree, Pajamasam, about Outback Jack having the right idea! I loved that show also and thought that having a smaller number and being together all the time was a definite way for the guy or girl (this would work for the Bachelorette as well) to see what really goes on and how everyone is feeling and what their personalities are really like. I would agree about arranging for them to see each other more often or consider a shorter time between the ending of the filming and the beginning of the show. I'm not sure how another Charlie ending (with him dating both girls) would work out. If that producer person who posted on the Recap thread is legit, she should read these ideas and get a good idea of what the fans really want! We want less manipulation and more chances of a real love story!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

I am so with you. As much as it sucks me in, there is something basically flawed about the Bachelor/ette premise. I've never watched any other reality show but your descriptions of Outback Jack sound interesting. Why 25 women? That's absurd and immediately starts up a negative dynamic. Why not 10 women who actually have been profile matched to the "Bach" and let us get to know them for a few episodes. It would make the rose ceremonies much more intense for the viewers. Also less of the appalling group dates....though they do provide some of the best snark! I also would like a Black/Asian/Hispanic Bachelor/ette. I hate the way they use token minorities...it's just plain insulting.

Joining in on the Outback Jack love. That show had the right premise. Have fewer women, let them all live together to really get to know each other.

Even Byron's season was better, because he had a chance to see the house dynamics and see what the women were like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast