+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

  1. #21
    FORT Fan dagney852000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    There is a high probability that:

    1) A successful man can't spare eight weeks to film the show.

    2) A successful man can't afford the damage to his reputation (Travis's big, and totally appropriate, concern.)

    3) A successful and handsome man doesn't want ABC to limit his choices to 25 emotionally disturbed famehos when he can meet dozens of superior specimens in the course of his work.

    So that limits the Bachelor pool to minor celebrities who need the exposure or idle rich heirs who are seeking attention.
    Ah, you hit the nail on the head. Ian should be the next Bachelor! He is a trust fund baby, and didn't have a career, so no worries there about ruining his image. He is handsome and intelligent. Drawbacks - he is super shy and reserved, and has a family of nutballs. Nah, he probably wouldn't be interested, but he would be a good choice if he would.

    I still think Jerry should be a Bachelor. Now that is one worth fighting over!

  2. #22
    The Mad Artist RandalR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA/Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by dagney852000 View Post
    I still think Jerry should be a Bachelor. Now that is one worth fighting over!
    His new girlfriend won't let him.


  3. #23
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Enjoying Real Life
    Posts
    5,731
    Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    His new girlfriend won't let him.


    This chick looks like HEIDI from The Apprentice.

  4. #24
    The Mad Artist RandalR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA/Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,511
    The hard part isn't finding a man who is good-looking enough, or rich enough, or smart enough to be appealing while still being stupid enough to do the show.

    The hard part is finding a man who actually wants to get married...and wants it badly enough to let ABC pick his candidate pool.

    Fleiss remains caught in a trap of his own making - any man with enough on the ball to be an appealing Bachelor doesn't have any need to go on the show in the first place. It's always funny to listen to the latest edition trying to deflect the inevitable "Why are you still single?" questions with some lame excuses about timing, distance, or inability to meet the right person.

    No, he's still single because he loves being single - and he's only doing the show now because Fleiss either paid him or promised him fame. There aren't a lot of incentives for a man to get married these days, anyway - it's a tradition that overwhelmingly appeals to and benefits women. And any man traditional enough to see the appeal certainly isn't going to like the idea of going through the process on TV. So Fleiss is getting men who from the outset have no intention of following through on the show's premise.

    So I have an idea for a variation of the show that might actually work - call it "The Lothario" if you must...
    • It happens esentially in real time.
    • One man makes a commitment to date the "winner" exclusively for a month after the show ends - not too odious a restriction, and afterwards they can make the rounds of Oprah, Ellen, Tyra Banks, and The Sea Hags...er, The View for Fleiss's benefit.
    • Each week, The Lothario spends time interacting with the women in the house they all share, and the interactions get filmed and edited to make a one or two hour show.
    • No expensive fantasy dates are needed - no one is trying to fool anyone into thinking marriage is imminent.
    • After each show airs, the audience votes American-Idol style for whomever they think he had the best interaction with. Each week, the top 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, etc. move on.
    • In the early rounds, The Lothario can give one girl each week a Joker's Wild card, giving her a free pass through the voting.
    • If The Lothario finds a favorite, he had better let the audience see that he likes her, or she might get voted off.
    • If he, like Travis, decides none of them are going to work out, he had better let the audience know which one he likes least so he won't get stuck with her.
    • There needs to be a financial prize for the girl who wins - double if they stay together for six months. Secret bonus prizes for a varying list things like the First Kiss could be awarded.

    This show would be popular and cheap to film - they could make five of them a year for what a single season of The Bachelor costs. You could even compress the time frame into a single two week run - like a miniseries that's on every night. And I would bet that more real romances would actually come of a show like this in the long run, because the artificial pressure to deliver some kind of phony big ending isn't there from the beginning.

    The only drawback is that the "fairy tale" is dispensed with - but that is a positive change. Fairy tales are for fiction.

  5. #25
    FORT Fan monique_46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    391
    Randal, I believe a lot of what you said has merit. The one aspect I highly disagree with is the audience vote. My first thought is fan power. Every bachelorette's family, friends, co-workers, people in their hometown and state, 1st grade classmates (you get the picture) will be voting for her instead of the one(s) with the best chemistry for the bachelor. It would be like another Master P and Jerry Rice win, which defeats the purpose, imo.

    This is the same reason I've never cared that one-on-one dates are chosen by someone other than the bachelor himself.
    Anywhere you go, let me go too. Gerard, that's all I ask of you.

  6. #26
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532
    Randal! The Lothario sounds like a hoot and I bet if you pitched it to ABC they'd bite. Just keep saying "cheap with lots of hot people" over and over and it would be approved in no time.

    However, there is a major problem with this potential show. The most essential question that comes up every season would lose it's meaning and therefore we'd have at least 2 or 3 less threads per season. That question is: "Is he/she here for the right reasons?"
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  7. #27
    Premium Member pajamasam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,696
    There aren't a lot of incentives for a man to get married these days, anyway - it's a tradition that overwhelmingly appeals to and benefits women.
    Unless living ten years longer than single men, and having sex more frequently than even cohabiting couples is important to you.
    Perhaps the key is to find those slightly older single men like Byron who are tired of the dating scene and want to find love, passion and companionship that will last longer than your next vacation. I suppose Fleiss thought he was getting just that when he hired Travis who was 33. Maybe he needs to just look for the 38 and up crowd. Course then he couldnt use those 24 year old girls he so loves. Randal - you are right when you say that men arent grown up these days until they are closer to 35!

  8. #28
    The Mad Artist RandalR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA/Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam View Post
    Unless living ten years longer than single men, and having sex more frequently than even cohabiting couples is important to you.
    Ah, but the key to achieving those things is marriage forcing men to moderate their self-destructive behavior - it may not happen often, but some men are capable of achieving moderation without resorting to such a drastic step.

    Maybe he needs to just look for the 38 and up crowd. Course then he couldnt use those 24 year old girls he so loves. Randal - you are right when you say that men arent grown up these days until they are closer to 35!
    Well, older women can make good television, too - from Byron's season remember 37-year-old Devil Jayne? Or 37-year-old Fruit Loop Cynthia? Or 36-year-old Mary? And they even looked good in the all-important hot tub scenes. Two of the three primary House Harpies this year - Jehan and Shiloh - were 29.

    It just seems that ABC executives are convinced that the 18 to 25-year-old female (sorority-house) demographic is important to the show's success - leading to the continual casting of their "near-peers" - and I don't see that at all. We may not be a representative sample of the show's audience, but it seems like 95% of posters on this board are over 35.

    Travis was grown-up enough at 33, I suppose, it's just the show happened a year too early for him. Had he been settled into his new, permanent job in Colorado, for example, he might have been more open to achieving a favorable outcome with one of the Bachelorettes (hint: 'S', 'U', 'S', 'A', 'N'), instead of rejecting them all because they weren't perfect and he feared trying to maintain a relationship with any of them might get in the way of him finishing his residency.

  9. #29
    FORT Fogey psucashcow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania ...Is it Spring yet?
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by monique_46 View Post
    Randal, I believe a lot of what you said has merit. The one aspect I highly disagree with is the audience vote. My first thought is fan power. Every bachelorette's family, friends, co-workers, people in their hometown and state, 1st grade classmates (you get the picture) will be voting for her instead of the one(s) with the best chemistry for the bachelor. It would be like another Master P and Jerry Rice win, which defeats the purpose, imo.

    This is the same reason I've never cared that one-on-one dates are chosen by someone other than the bachelor himself.
    Amen monique...Remember Cupid? Well I do. The Ahnold wannabe made it to the final two based solely on the one segment of the audience who wanted to make Lisa , the star, look as bad as possible. There were several weeks when candidates who actually were Lisa's favorites were dismissed by popular vote. If it hadn't been for me and other stalwart Hank fans voting at least 25-50 times during the finale, Ahnold 2.0 would have been there at the end
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

  10. #30
    FORT Fan dagney852000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow View Post
    Amen monique...Remember Cupid? Well I do. The Ahnold wannabe made it to the final two based solely on the one segment of the audience who wanted to make Lisa , the star, look as bad as possible. There were several weeks when candidates who actually were Lisa's favorites were dismissed by popular vote. If it hadn't been for me and other stalwart Hank fans voting at least 25-50 times during the finale, Ahnold 2.0 would have been there at the end

    Te he, I thought about the Cupid debacle too when Randall came up with his idea about the audience voting on who moves on. That show was slightly stupid, however, because every guy on there had something majorly wrong with him. He was either jobless, or a total dweeb, or weird like Ahnold 2.0. I had a really bad vibe about Hank as well, but I hear that they are still together, so who knows? All that I was positive about was that blonde bitch had to go.

    The audience participation thing might work better for The Bachelor format, providing that every contestant is not a loser like in the Cupid thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.