+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could a NEW format revive the Bachelor???

Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    What that means, paradoxically, is that anyone who isn't "there for the wrong reasons" is actually there for the wrong reasons.

There has to be a happy medium between Jesse Palmer and Travis Stork, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe Charlie O'Connell was the ideal Bachelor after all - he was under 30 (appealing to Fleiss's treasured MySpace demographic), knew how to act (a little), could be funny (occasionally), wasn't above snarking on the more flawed Bachelorettes, took the process just seriously enough to make an effort with the one he chose, and didn't fall for all the "forever" hype and end up making a proposal he would regret later (like Andrew).
    But, see, Charlie wasn't appealing in the traditional sense. The Bachelor needs to be successful and handsome at a bare minimum. Otherwise, to see women fighting over him makes the entire show seem even more silly than it already does. Charlie wasn't bad-looking, but he was unemployed and a drunk. That took away something, IMHO.

The Bachelor needs to at least look good on paper for the entire thing to work. Yes, it is shallow, but what would be the point of putting Joe-Blow-the-dumbass-shlub-who-shares-your-cubicle-at-work on this show? You put a guy like that on, and then you KNOW that the girls are fighting to be on the show for no other reason than they are famewhos.

Let us at least have the illusion that the girls are fighting over something that is worth fighting over.

Another reason why Blob didn't work - he was an overweight mortgage broker. Uh, we can meet Blobs at Anybar USA, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dagney852000 View Post
    But, see, Charlie wasn't appealing in the traditional sense. The Bachelor needs to be successful and handsome at a bare minimum.
    There is a high probability that:

1) A successful man can't spare eight weeks to film the show.

2) A successful man can't afford the damage to his reputation (Travis's big, and totally appropriate, concern.)

3) A successful and handsome man doesn't want ABC to limit his choices to 25 emotionally disturbed famehos when he can meet dozens of superior specimens in the course of his work.

So that limits the Bachelor pool to minor celebrities who need the exposure or idle rich heirs who are seeking attention.

Otherwise, to see women fighting over him makes the entire show seem even more silly than it already does. Charlie wasn't bad-looking, but he was unemployed and a drunk. That took away something, IMHO.
    Well, he was a (very) minor celebrity.

The Bachelor needs to at least look good on paper for the entire thing to work. Yes, it is shallow, but what would be the point of putting Joe-Blow-the-dumbass-shlub-who-shares-your-cubicle-at-work on this show? You put a guy like that on, and then you KNOW that the girls are fighting to be on the show for no other reason than they are famewhos.
    I agree that he has to be unusual. But the exceptional man usually knows it, and wouldn't choose to do the show at all unless there was some secondary benefit he could get from it like promoting his winery, practicing for a sports broadcasting position, promoting a professional fishing tour, or restarting a moribund acting career.

Let us at least have the illusion that the girls are fighting over something that is worth fighting over.

Another reason why Blob didn't work - he was an overweight mortgage broker. Uh, we can meet Blobs at Anybar USA, no thank you.
    Bob just ran out of jokes too soon. The fans wanted him, and by the time the show started, he wasn't the overweight comic figure anymore - but yet wasn't handsome enough to make the transition from comic actor to leading man. It was like a disappointed audience who had gone to see what they thought would be a comedy film but ended up being a cheesy action picture with a second-rate hero and wildly implausible romantic scenes, instead.

LG.
    I think that Fleiss and Company made a format change that increased the odds that the resulting "couple" would have a real relationship in the Byron series in which they featured an older bachelor and older bachelorettes. People in their 30s and 40s are frankly more likely to know what they are looking for in a mate and likely to pull the trigger and go for it, as Byron and Mary are now engaged. Do the 30-somethings looks quite as hot in a bikini as the 20-somethings barely out of college? Is that really more important to the show than having the opportunity to watch someone really trying to decide who would be the best "match" for him and then go after it. I still think that Jay (the discarded other bachelor from the Byron season) should have had another chance, or at least some other guy who is actually at a place in his life to want to start a relationship with someone.

Also, the Bachelorette versions of the show have usually been more "fun" because the guys are spending more time goofing around at the house than back-biting and crying. I'm sorry, but watching the girls tear each other apart gets old. I'd rather watching the guys through some stupid party and carry some drunk dude out onto the yard in his bed.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by dagney852000 View Post
    I disagree. Bob's show worked. His met his wife because of the show.

FORT Newbie
    I’ve never posted much here before, but I love reading everybody’s comments…and the re-caps are always great for a laugh. So, “Hi!”

My sister and I regularly discuss this show, and we think the premise almost can’t work because the “balance of power” between the sexes is all wrong in The Bachelor.

In every successful relationship, I believe the guy has to want it to work just as much as, or even more than, the woman does. Guys really do enjoy the chase. How can a man develop feelings for a particular woman and experience the thrill of pursuit if she’s one of 25 who are all PURSUING HIM?

What is it that one of the Marx brothers said?—“I’d never be a member of any club who’d have me?” In The Bachelor, multiply that by 25.

We can deny it till the cows come home, and pretend that the women’s movement changed everything, but it’s basic to human nature that people don’t value what comes too easily to them.

Byron and Mary may be the exception, but…when I saw that update a couple of weeks ago, I had to wonder why they hadn’t gotten married already. Wasn’t she openly worried about her biological clock? Seems to me that they’ve had more than 18 months to figure out whether or not this relationship is the real deal. Why let her clock tick any longer?

And even if they do get married, their show differed from the others in that Mary was set apart from the rest of the “herd” from the beginning and never seemed to be competing quite like the others.

They need to get rid of the “competition” factor among the women and create a situation where the bachelor himself has to do at least some of the pursuing. But that would be an entirely different show, The Bachelorette.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LG. View Post
    I think that Fleiss and Company made a format change that increased the odds that the resulting "couple" would have a real relationship in the Byron series in which they featured an older bachelor and older bachelorettes. People in their 30s and 40s are frankly more likely to know what they are looking for in a mate and likely to pull the trigger and go for it, as Byron and Mary are now engaged. Do the 30-somethings looks quite as hot in a bikini as the 20-somethings barely out of college? Is that really more important to the show than having the opportunity to watch someone really trying to decide who would be the best "match" for him and then go after it. I still think that Jay (the discarded other bachelor from the Byron season) should have had another chance, or at least some other guy who is actually at a place in his life to want to start a relationship with someone.

Also, the Bachelorette versions of the show have usually been more "fun" because the guys are spending more time goofing around at the house than back-biting and crying. I'm sorry, but watching the girls tear each other apart gets old. I'd rather watching the guys through some stupid party and carry some drunk dude out onto the yard in his bed.
    L.G. I agree with everything you've said, especially bringing back the Bachelorette series. The guys are, fun, competitive and easier on the eyes!
    I'm not so sure that Jay would have made a great Bachelor, he just seemed too quiet and conservative. I think we would have had another Travis personality, but who knows!!
    Honestly, out of the last three, I enjoyed Charlie's show the most. I went into it not expecting anything but some good laughs and snarking opportunities and I got those, and surprising, they had a formula that worked for the couple. I believe Charlie knew he wanted Sarah before the 2 month dating after the show period, but that time seemed to reinforce their feelings for each other.
    Imagine if Travis had been given the opportunity to date both Sarah and Moana. Would the results have been different? I think he still might not have picked either, but I imagine he and Moana would have had a better chance to see if their chemistry was just a "Paris romance" or something more. It would probably have become evident to Travis and Sarah that they made better friends than 'lovers' early on, but at least they could have been honest about it.
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

The show seemed to have worked for Trista/Ryan (still hoping Ryan will come to his senses), Charlie/Sarah and Byron/Mary, so I guess that’s a good reason for ABC to keep trying. I don’t think anyone would have predicted that party boy Charlie would meet someone and settle down, so you never know. However, I don’t know if Mary and Byron should be in the same category as T/R and C/S. I have always been suspicious about the events surrounding her return to the show, which culminated in her getting picked. What are the odds that would happen? Plus, given how distraught she was when Bob gave her the heave-ho, I was surprised that she would put herself through that again. I started thinking about this when I read that Byron’s ex-wife is also Latina. Coincidence? They seem happy and that’s all the counts.

I like the Charlie idea the best, with the final two, or maybe three... spending like 2 months together and we go to a live FRC, or not live, just the thing with 2 months makes it alot better, therefore we can actually see how they fell in love in 3 months. It makes a whole lotta better sense.
    F:A:B:U:L:O:U:S

FORT Fogey
    Hey JoanRanger, that was a great post!!! Your profile says you post 0.01 times per day -- I really hope you'll increase the frequency so we can read those posts of yours!!

As for me, I know I'll always cruise the forum here to see what's up with future shows from Fleiss, but for sure I won't be sitting in front of my TV anymore.

And yeah, I agree with those who wonder why Byron and Mary aren't married yet. I'd have expected them to be married by now, if their thing is "real."

I don't know what the solution is. I hated Byron's show because of all the gimmicks and I've never liked Mary. There was too much Jayne and Krysta early on. I never really bought that all of the women would be interested in Byron either. I always prefer the Bachelorette because of the guys but Jen almost ruined that for me. My fave was Meredith's but I think that was because of Ian. I enjoyed Charlie's show despite (or maybe because) it was so different and he was so casual. I loved seeing how sweet he and Sarah are together. I saw him and he's actually very good looking (and tall) in person.

I'd be okay if this is the end of the show but will probably be weak and watch it if it's not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast