+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do viewers really want to see another season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette?

FORT Newbie
    I think anybody who puts themselves through that is crazy. Find another way to find someone

Quote Originally Posted by demo89 View Post
    I think anybody who puts themselves through that is crazy. Find another way to find someone
    But then what would we watch??

The problem with trying to get older people for the show is that usually they're entrenched in careers by then or have kids and it's hard to get so much time off work or be away from home. The younger ones probably think it's an adventure and worth trying not to mention that most mature people wouldn't think that you can find true love and marriage in 6 weeks of speed dating. In a way it's amazing (a fitting word, isn't it?) that there have been any successes in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by albean99 View Post
    The problem with trying to get older people for the show is that usually they're entrenched in careers by then or have kids and it's hard to get so much time off work or be away from home.
    That's why it needs to be a regional or local show, and forget the idea of sequestering the cast in an exotic locale for several weeks. That concept leads directly to a lot of the failures.

Not directly about The Bachelor, but interesting, nonetheless:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr...=20060302abc01

ABC Delivers Substantial Increases During the February Sweep, with the Super Bowl and Strong Series Performances Opposite the Winter Olympics
    Released by ABC

ABC Delivers Substantial Increases During the February Sweep, with the Super Bowl and Strong Series Performances Opposite the Winter Olympics

ABC Marks its Best Numbers During Any Sweep Period Since May 2000

Overall 2006 February Sweep Performance (28 Complete Nights):

ABC finished with strong increases during the 2006 February Sweep among viewers and across each of the adult demographics over last February. ABC was up by +29% in Total Viewers (14.4 million vs. 11.2 million), by 33% in Adults 18-34 (4.4/13 vs. 3.3/10), by +29% in Adults 18-49 (5.3/13 vs. 4.1/11) and by 28% in Adults 25-54 (6.0/14 vs. 4.7/11) compared to February 2005. Please Note: Last year’s overall sweep averages include the 2005 Academy Awards, which did not air this February, but did air on the final Sunday of the ‘05 February Sweep (on 2/27/05).

• The Network’s year-to-year gains were largely a result of aggressive series scheduling and successful counter-programming against NBC’s 2006 Winter Olympics. Factoring out the 2006 Super Bowl and its Post-Game along with the 2005 Academy Awards telecast from the averages, ABC improved its February Sweep results across the board over last year: +10% in Total Viewers, +10% in Adults 18-34, +8% in Adults 18-49 and +12% in Adults 25-54. Additionally, despite going opposite the Winter Olympics on most evenings, ABC was up on 14 nights of the 2006 February Sweep among Adults 18-49, as compared to last year.

• ABC produced its largest audience and highest Adult 18-49 rating during any sweep period since May 2000.

• Competitively, ABC won the 2006 February Sweep in the key Adult 18-49 demographic and placed second among Total Viewers. It was ABC’s second consecutive sweep period to rank No. 1 in Adults 18-49, after tying with CBS for the top position in the 2005 November Sweep.

2006 February Sweep – Other Highlights (Programs/Nights/News Lead-in):

• Series Rankings: In Adults 18-49, ABC claimed 5 the Top 20 television series during the 2006 February Sweep, including 2 of the Top 4: “Grey’s Anatomy” – No. 3, “Desperate Housewives” – No. 4, “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” – No. 9, “Lost” – No. 11 and “Dancing with the Stars” – No. 16. ABC aired 5 of the Top 15 most-watched TV series of the month: “Grey’s Anatomy” – No. 3, “Desperate Housewives” – No. 4, “Dancing with the Stars” – No. 7, “Dancing with the Stars the Results” – No. 11 and “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” – No. 12. ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Desperate Housewives” stood as the Top 2 scripted series of the Sweep in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.

• Individual Telecast Rankings: The Network broadcasted the Top 2 individual program telecasts of the February Sweep in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, with “Super Bowl XL” and “Grey’s Anatomy” on 2/5/06. ABC News claimed TV’s No. 1 newsmagazine telecast during February in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 with “Primetime” on 2/23/06. In fact, it was TV’s highest-rated newsmagazine telecast since 1/8/06.

• Rank and Growth by Night: ABC qualified as the No. 1 network on Sunday during the 2006 February Sweep among Adults 18-49, winning all 4 Sundays of the month. ABC earned second place on Friday during the Sweep among Adults 18-49. Versus last February, despite going against the Winter Olympics, ABC was up on 4 of 7 nights in the key young adult sales demo: Monday (+11%), Thursday (+27%), Friday (+7%) and Sunday (+100%).

• Network 10:30 p.m. Late Local News Lead-in (Mon.-Sun.): ABC is offered its stations an improved lead-in to the late local news during the February Sweep. In the 10:30 p.m. half-hour, ABC was up by 13% among Adults 25-54 (5.2/12 vs. 4.6/11) and by 15% among Adults 18-49 (4.6/12 vs. 4.0/10), as compared to last February. In fact during the sweep, ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” ranked as the No. 1 TV program on any network in the 10 o’clock hour among Total Viewers, Adults 25-54, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.

Source: Nielsen Media Research, NTI (2/2-3/1/06 vs. 2/3-3/2/05), or as dated. Series rankings based on regular programs only.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above press release was issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Maybe they could sandwich The Bach between "Desperate Housewives" and "Gray's Anatomy". I bet they'd win an Emmy next year, if they did that... in a new category called "Scheduling" .
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I'd like to see The Bachelor in Rome next time. I loooooovvve Rome and Italy. We do need to improve American's world awareness and geography knowledge... yeap this show can actually be very educational
    Or here is another idea: GIs coming from Iraq would be Bachelors and Bachelorettes .... "The Bachelor(ette) from Baghdad"

Quote Originally Posted by boomer_lady View Post
    I'd like to see The Bachelor in Rome next time. I loooooovvve Rome and Italy. We do need to improve American's world awareness and geography knowledge... yeap this show can actually be very educational
    Frankly, if they went to Iowa, it would probably improve most of the participants awareness of geographical knowledge.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Speaking for myself...for awhile I wanted to see another Bach/bach'ette because I was hopeful that we would get another Trista/Ryan show that was fun to watch and seemed to have some semblance of a real romance. So I kept watching even though it seemed that season by season, the show became more and more of a farce. (and not even a really entertaining farce!)

This season was somewhat better than we've seen in awhile and at first seemed to have some hope of a real romance, but boy did it tank on the eniding.

Therefore, because Fleiss has blown it over and over again so many times, I think I've finally given up hope.

I am guessing based on the numbers that I am not the only viewer who feels that way
    Perfection is just fine by me!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    Would you watch another season after all of this craziness?
    Nope, I think I'm finally done.

I watched every episode of every season right up until the finale of this most recent series. At 8:30 p.m. on the night of the finale I decided to go to sleep, rather than watch it end. For the first time, I didn't even tape it so I could watch it later. Yeah, I'm finally done caring about this series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast