+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paris, Europe and playing with a guy's head

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    As for either picking Moana, or even Susan, 'normally' - it's my opinion he knows very few Moana types, if any, and he knows darned well he'd never have a decent shot at a Susan (except maybe in a photo in a magazine).
    Frankly I thought Susan was pretty, but certainly not extrordinary. The Doc may be boring to you, and while good looking not drop dead handsome, he is a great catch. He has a great career, and most of all, I don't see him so caught up in himself that he thinks others should be honoured to be with him a la Susan. I can't imagine someone not wanting a hard working, caring man of integrity. In my opinion Susans are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    Well, since his likeable and desirable match is now sitting home in Winnipeg, the comedy is all we have left.

I do agree with those who theorize that the opinons of Travis's female relatives will be the dealbreaker. If they form a negative impression of California Girl Moana (I figure there is no way they won't like Sarah) that will make his decision for him.
    Randal, with windchill it's minus 39 in Winnipeg right now. SB's probably busy keeping warm with her boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    I agree with your post, for the most part. The thing is, they may not have a lot of feelings for/interest in any of them. Still, they are contractually obligated to pick one, without regard to the fact that the selector knows it's going nowhere.
    This is the fatal flaw in the show--there's no option to pick nobody.

Yes, it would make crappy storytelling (and bad TV) to allow it, but the lack of the option also removes any pretense of integrity from the process. It often turns the show into damage control and fulfilling an obligation, which FURTHER dirties things up, because it necessitates a lot of disingenuous editing to preserve the illusion that there's a winner every time. Even the whole engagement ring/promise ring thing isn't any real relief from that, since the last thing the show wants to do is admit to failure.

As for hot tubs or Paris, France screwing up people's heads, really we can sum that up in two words: "which head?"

Of course none of this has anything to do with the entertainment value of the show. It's become a sort of pseudo-reality, where for 45 minutes a week we can have fun and willfully suspend our disbelief and pretend that any of this matters. It's only outside of that 45 minutes that the shabbiness of the whole thing becomes obvious. And yes, of course, theoretically there's no reason someone can't meet their real match. It's just kind of bizarre, in my opinion, for anyone to believe that's the rule instead of the exception.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

This is the fatal flaw in the show--there's no option to pick nobody.
    Well Jen succeeded. But one thing still bothers me. On the Jimmy Kimmel show, Jimmy teased that he probably cant wait until Feb 27 so he can start dating new women again. And Travis DID NOT dispute this. He had the chance to say - I am happily not single right now - or something. He didnt have to say he is in love, but he didnt correct this assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam View Post
    Well Jen succeeded. But one thing still bothers me. On the Jimmy Kimmel show, Jimmy teased that he probably cant wait until Feb 27 so he can start dating new women again. And Travis DID NOT dispute this. He had the chance to say - I am happily not single right now - or something. He didnt have to say he is in love, but he didnt correct this assumption.

Good point, pajamasam. He also NEVER says in any interview that he is in love. When asked if he's in love, he just says something to the effect of...I met a really nice girl. HUH? You probably meet really nice girls every day! That tells me nothing. Maybe that's the point, but wouldn't Fleiss want us buying the fairy tale?

No, he actually shook his head and laughed. Earlier in the interview T had said that he was still w/ the chosen one and that he couldn't wait to get back to the relationship. JK was being a comedian and T didn't but in and step on the job, but he was shaking his head. This was at the end of the interview and they were kind of doing that guy joking around thing. T's a man of relatively few words and subtle responses.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    From reading the posts it appears that women in the Bachelorette age group prefer Moana and their mothers prefer Sarah.

I'm not a huge fan of either one, but I favor Moana a little because she is more interesting to watch.
    I have to disagree with you RandalR on this one.. I'm a mother of a preschooler and fit into the Bachelorette age group. However, I'm from the South and have what would be considered more "traditional" values so I'm more inclined to like someone like Sarah S. or Elizabeth as opposed to Moana or Susan.

The better question to ask would be about the more specific demographics of Moana fans and Sarah S. fans. I just cannot find a way to like Moana; I've tried and tried. She just annoys me and I'll blame it on the fact that she's from California and has more "West Coast" ideals and behavior. I really like Sarah because she reminds me of myself and my friends with our more traditional values.

So the question here is "What does Travis want?". I can't see him having a relationship long-term with either of them and he probably knows it. His ideal girl is someone like Sarah B., but with more life experience and maybe a little more education. So he has had to narrow down choices that fit into his life right now.

I think he probably has found himself caught up in the European fantasy experience, hence his comment to Sarah about "losing part of himself." He gets caught up in the moment and then later says "would I normally have done that?" I think we see a guy having a huge inner struggle about who he his at any given moment. He's trying to be "The Bachelor" and be charming and sophisticated and drink champagne and have fantasy nights in grand European cities and he's also trying to stay "Travis", the guy who likes to sit by a campfire with his dog and drink a beer.

I think that is part of the reason we find the editing so weird this time. They are trying to edit Travis as "The Bachelor in Paris" and that's just not who he is. This locale was completely wasted on him and it's not his fault. He tried, but it just wasn't him.

So the question here is "What does Travis want?".
    You answered this later in your post.
    he's also trying to stay "Travis", the guy who likes to sit by a campfire with his dog and drink a beer.
    He said he cant wait to get back home. He's a regular guy who wants his dog and his beer. And he knows it.

I STILL say neither girl is the exact fit for him ,and he knows this. So he's down to a girl who is emotionally showing her feelings for him ,and will be crushed if he dumps her, and the other who thinks they just both are the best suited couple ever. I just can't fathom that he would hurt Moana at the very end.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

You answered this later in your post.
    He said he cant wait to get back home. He's a regular guy who wants his dog and his beer. And he knows it.

YES pajamasam. . . .and Moana needs to find her poet, musician, or artist. ..someone who uses the opposite side of his brain than T is using. ( I'm old, I'm getting left brain, right brain confused. I think the left brain is the creative.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast