+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDITING-it's consequences

EDITING-it's consequences

I know that this has been talked about some, but I'm really interested in getting input on this issue since the screencaps and other spoilers are inconclusive. So, I"m falling back on the reason behind the EDIT and the CONSEQUENCES of a bad edit.

Am I the only one who thinks that bad EDITS sometimes render the target irredeemable and that this threat would impact the degree of bad EDIT that the winner gets? Painting a story is one thing, but at what point does it cause problems once the "winner" is revealed? ex.: Hasn't Susan been dug a pretty deep grave in the court of public opinion?

I feel that all 3 have been the victims of skewered editing. What are other peoples' thoughts on the consideration that tptb give to redeeming the winner?
    For instance, Ian got the bad edit, but redeemed himself by proposing. Which made for good t.v. for most. Chad's edit of not having a job would not have been so attractive had he been chosen. Lanny was given the bad edit and who would have rooted for Mer to end up with that mother-in-law?
    Any thoughts on if this merits further analysis?

The edit is critical in good film but in this tv series, the edit is so blatant & obvious that I feel it underminds the intelligence of the viewer.

It appears that something has gone awry.

I agree that unfavorable aspects have been edited in to varying degrees for all 3 of the final b-ettes and for me, that has served to detatch from the outcome. It is a case of the lesser evil or least burdened. Is this the intention of the edit? I don't know.

We do know that Travis made his final choice before the show aired. This means that the editing occurred after the fact. This also means that each b-ette is presented in a calculated way.

Moana: hard exterior, soft core which springs a leak; sheds bitterness toward men, doesn't play well with others in competition, aggressive smirky family, lives & plays hard but with passion

Sarah: chatty social butterfly with decorum who sticks foot and fist in mouth (still can't figure out why she didn't sing for the friends instead), family-orientated where women rule the roost, promise of being dynamic, chaste

Susan: driven, beautiful, alluring, veiled motives which add to the mystic, smoldering in many respects - prospect of Travis getting burned or highlighting his naivety.

I haven't watch all the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows but of the ones I have, this is the first time the final 3 have appeared to be partial matches. It is as if they are fragments of suitability and pieced together would create the one.

As is, I think Fleiss has gone out of his way to create a comedy of errs.

Personally, I think the viewers are putting too much stock into the editing. The editing can't put words in their mouths, it can only put those words out of context. (like when Trista said she was most attracted to Charlie in episode 1 and that was played out to the end). I truly think what you see is what you get. Editing can make a person one dimensional, but I don't think they are creating something that isn't there. At this point, Travis is not that into Sarah S. That could possibly change during the fantasy dates, but I don't beleive there is a love story that we are not seeing. Ian didn't get a bad edit, you got Ian. He said he didn't want to propose and he meant it, he just gave Meredith her moment, but IMO by not saying the words (marry me) spoke volumes. Matt was just a nice guy and that is what came across. There just isn't that much action between Travis and the ladies and editing doesn't have much to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by vicyn8 View Post
    I haven't watch all the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows but of the ones I have, this is the first time the final 3 have appeared to be partial matches. It is as if they are fragments of suitability and pieced together would create the one.
    So he picks all three and they move to a small town in southern Utah?

It's true, they are all being caricatured as "fragments" of what he is looking for. I'm not sure what Fleiss is up to...

Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post

It's true, they are all being caricatured as "fragments" of what he is looking for. I'm not sure what Fleiss is up to...
    Does anyone else think that the EDITS are done with an eye to the necessity of a somewhat favorable public opinion of the "chosen one" at the end?

The twist revealed. And I think his friends where actually giving us a hint when they pulled out the case which contained 3 rings. +

AS to favorable public opinion girlsmom, I think critter makes a good point that the essence of each b-ette is maintained. I also think that this fuels a producer's storyline aspirations and that if the end product isn't somewhat agreeable to the audience then ratings are at risk. Agreeable could be sating romantic notions or revelling at a train wreck of a relationship so that's fairly wide open to interpretation.
    Last edited by vicyn8; 02-13-2006 at 04:25 PM.

As far as editing is concerned, I also agree that the three remaining ladies have each been edited down to one-dimensional archtypes: the passionate, Polynesian vamp; the beautiful, shallow actress; and the perky girl-next-door. It looks like they are leading us to believe that the handsome doctor, while being beguiled with the beautiful actress and intrigued by the exotic temptress, is really "in love" with the girl-next-door. And, they are trying to get us to root for her. This is so patently obvious to me that it makes me wonder why it is so obvious. If she is his ultimate choice, why not show us the romance? Why hide it, when they are so obviously putting her in the best light so that we think she's it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Last edited by Jewelsy; 02-13-2006 at 06:30 PM.

I know edits cant really show whats going to happen, but they did do show alot of things with Moana... since she got alot of one on one time with him. Example--- the masage. They closed up on there holding hands... and when they were in the bed when she was bringing him coffee on the boat, when she jumped in with him, and when they rode away on the waterski thing on the sunset.
    Even tho Sarah and Susan have alot of commentary, I think Moanas time with Travis makes up for that...

Yeah, maybe what Travis needs is not a girlfriend but a harem. In which case he should stop getting rid of them right now. Three's a nice manageable number; a person can still divide the month by 3 and end up with a nice even ammount of time to spend with each without too many problems. If he gets it down to two, variety's gone.

I said it once before a while ago, that those three should be put in a blender, given a few good pulses and served up to Travis as his perfect cocktail.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that bad EDITS sometimes render the target irredeemable and that this threat would impact the degree of bad EDIT that the winner gets? Painting a story is one thing, but at what point does it cause problems once the "winner" is revealed? ex.: Hasn't Susan been dug a pretty deep grave in the court of public opinion?
    Not necessarily - although, I am for ever grateful that I don't have Susan's mother. Unlike so many others, I don't feel her concern was for Susan's long term happiness, nor Travis'; rather, I think she's jealous of Susan, always has been, and used the opportunity to skewer her child in public.

Susan, though, can still redeem herself, she hasn't had the opportunity to do so, yet. Even in a court of law, she'd be allowed to present her side before being sent to the gallows.

And, most importantly of all, Travis wants her to be redeemed, if it's at all possible.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast