+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDITING-it's consequences

Sometimes I wonder if we read too much into all this. The people editing this show are being paid to sit in small, dark, rooms, watching endless hours of undoubtablly boring footage. They are probably told by Fleiss, et. al. a very general outline of what to highlight or leave out. So they sit there, muching Cheese Doodles and drinking bad coffee and string something together that the boss will accept. Throw in some catfights, some kissy-face, some contentious moments, fun dysfunctional family moments, cleavage, bikinis, etc., etc. and voila! -- you have a show.

All the producers really care about is that the show is on the air, and it garners some attention and ratings. That's it. As my co-worker who's been a film producer says -- you make sequels (and extend TV series) because someone sees you made a little money on the last film/show. You only stop when you can't squeeze one more dime out of the darn thing.

Ok, I'm a cynic, especially about "show biz". But I've been around it and its practitioners a lot, and I'm afraid the cynicism is usually justified.

Based on backlash that Fat Bob and Jen suffered (and rightly deserved), I would not trust my professional reputation to Fleiss' editing machine. Not for all the gold in China.

dreamerI think you've got it right. Unless Fleiss does have an ax to grind (Jen) and then the order comes down to torch her. I am sure they have an outline of what the producers want.....

just killin' time . . . Truewriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer56 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if we read too much into all this. The people editing this show are being paid to sit in small, dark, rooms, watching endless hours of undoubtablly boring footage. They are probably told by Fleiss, et. al. a very general outline of what to highlight or leave out. So they sit there, muching Cheese Doodles and drinking bad coffee and string something together that the boss will accept. Throw in some catfights, some kissy-face, some contentious moments, fun dysfunctional family moments, cleavage, bikinis, etc., etc. and voila! -- you have a show.

All the producers really care about is that the show is on the air, and it garners some attention and ratings. That's it. As my co-worker who's been a film producer says -- you make sequels (and extend TV series) because someone sees you made a little money on the last film/show. You only stop when you can't squeeze one more dime out of the darn thing.

Ok, I'm a cynic, especially about "show biz". But I've been around it and its practitioners a lot, and I'm afraid the cynicism is usually justified.
    I agree, Dreamer--to a point.

They sit in a small dark room and do their job: they go for the throat. This has been their pattern season after season--so it does seem to be a character issue (pressure from the top of the feeding chain). Crush, break, humiliate, slam = ratings up a point or two. Go for it.

What are the numbers on Extreme Makeover-Family Edition? They're nice to people, right? They look for good things to say--they show the positive. Aren't their ratings consistently through the roof?

How about Extreme Makeover--The Bachelor?

I guess I'm a little cynical, too.
    Futile--the winds--to a heart in port. --Emily Dickinson

Extreme Makeover: Bachelor. I wouldn't watch that crap. This current crap at least is entertaining while that crap would be, like "Extreme Makeover", just thinly veiled emotional blackmail. It's ambush television of the basest kind, but at least it's fairly unapologetic about it. That show knows it's designed to achieve a certain reaction. And the commercials they sell during the show while you're emoting, more than pay for those new houses they build. They trade emotion for cold hard cash. Your cold hard cash. No thanks.

At least on "The Bachelor", we can each decide to what degree we let the show get to us. In my case, extremely little or not at all. I watch for the fun and if they make money off of my eyeballs on some commercial, at least I chose to watch, they didn't have to guilt me into it.

*Rant over* LOL.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

just killin' time . . . Truewriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    At least on "The Bachelor", we can each decide to what degree we let the show get to us. In my case, extremely little or not at all. I watch for the fun and if they make money off of my eyeballs on some commercial, at least I chose to watch, they didn't have to guilt me into it.

*Rant over* LOL.
    Extreme Makeover: The Bachelor . . . Tongue-in-cheek MsFroggy.

But I have to admit, I like nice things over nasty. JMHO
    Futile--the winds--to a heart in port. --Emily Dickinson

About edit: a lot of FORT posters have been watching from the get-go and use what they have learned to help them interpret screencaps and such. I'm not one of the veteran viewer so I would love to have those who know the edit patterns share the routine as it relates to screencaps..

share your wisdom helpme.gif
    Who we are is not defined by what we own or how we earn our living. Who we are is evidenced in our quiet passions ... and the signature we trace on those we love.

FORT Newbie

thoughts on editing...

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom View Post
    I know that this has been talked about some, but I'm really interested in getting input on this issue since the screencaps and other spoilers are inconclusive. So, I"m falling back on the reason behind the EDIT and the CONSEQUENCES of a bad edit.

Am I the only one who thinks that bad EDITS sometimes render the target irredeemable and that this threat would impact the degree of bad EDIT that the winner gets? Painting a story is one thing, but at what point does it cause problems once the "winner" is revealed? ex.: Hasn't Susan been dug a pretty deep grave in the court of public opinion?

I feel that all 3 have been the victims of skewered editing. What are other peoples' thoughts on the consideration that tptb give to redeeming the winner?
    For instance, Ian got the bad edit, but redeemed himself by proposing. Which made for good t.v. for most. Chad's edit of not having a job would not have been so attractive had he been chosen. Lanny was given the bad edit and who would have rooted for Mer to end up with that mother-in-law?
    Any thoughts on if this merits further analysis?
    the editing is done AFTER the filming to create the storyline and a means to an end - they have to show a story that will deomonstrate some reason why each girl is let go - notice how 'convenient' they made it seem that any girl who 'ratted out another' was let go the very next rose ceremony? definitely on the cutting room floor!!!

i think that susan was a shoe in for winning and should have...but as events unfolded, she was let go...tptb had to create a story line that would make it obvious that she should be let go at some point.

i think they are editing as much 'connection' as possible between sarah and t and if, in the end, he chooses her...i believe it will be out of convenience to leave her for the mountains...he KNOWS she won't leave N-ville...he's a pretty good escape artist. Not sure if Moana would leave the coast for the mountains since surfing is a passion. we'll have to see how it all plays out in the next two weeks - and further into the future.

maybe he'll end up calling SB or susan afterall...they seem to be the ones that would be willing to relocate - or rather, are in a position to relocate.

ABOVE ALL - they had to make this season interesting - T certainly did not. unfortunately it had to be at the expense of these beautiful young women...I think susan took (and is taking) the brunt of the pain, I hope that people can come to their senses and see through the editing for everyone's sake. part of me wants susan to gain more exposure so that we can find out who she really is. whether for pursuing a career or not - she has a story to tell and i think many of us would like to hear it!

Married December 2010 Brightcryptic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicyn8 View Post
    About edit: a lot of FORT posters have been watching from the get-go and use what they have learned to help them interpret screencaps and such. I'm not one of the veteran viewer so I would love to have those who know the edit patterns share the routine as it relates to screencaps..

share your wisdom Attachment 16446
    I'm going to re-post some things I've said before, hopefully this will answer your questions about the patterns of the edit.

(posted on 2/14)
    Fleiss plays musical chairs with his edit. He's got a couple of cards that he shows from the beginning - this time it was Moana, Susan, and Sarah B. Sarah B got cut after the hometowns. Susan got the train wreck of the century edit at the hometowns setting up her dethroning as the #1 girl, and that was completed yesterday. At the hometowns, they really started spicing up the Travis and Moana connection which put her as the frontrunner going into the fantasy dates. They've continually left questions about chemistry with Sarah to keep viewers from believing that she would be Travis' final choice. Moana is going into the Final Rose being the most obvious recipient, but Fleiss isn't done with the musical chairs yet. He always saves one more rotation for the final two episode, when the one who's still had questions up until that point ends up being the one chosen by the Bachelor(ette). It's the same formula he uses over and over. I'm using all the things that Fleiss has tricked me with in the past to form his predictable pattern.

Second post (from 2/11)
    Here's my take on what's happened and what will happen with regards to the way things are being edited. They always leave one or two frontrunners from the beginning into the final four - this time we had Sarah B and Susan. Moana has been shown to have a connection with Travis since the first night, though she's not been given the frontrunner edit. Every moment with Sarah has been carefully building a story as well - starting with the night when she told Travis she was normally friends first with guys she's dated. The only reason that would be left in the edit each time it's mentioned about them having a friendship is because it plays into the story at the end. It's the same with the comments about them going all the way to Paris to meet - which was said by Travis in Monmartre and by her father in the hometown date. There's plenty of other film they could've used in each of those segments, but they chose exactly what they showed for a purpose.

There's a lack of drama with Sarah because most people don't think they have chemistry or anything more than a friendship along with the ideal planted that Sarah would never move - that's doubt cast enough. No need to edit in any more drama with her to play the story line out.

Moana on the other hand still seems to have way more "normal viewers" rooting for her to win because people see the connection with Travis. That connection/spark whatever term you want to use Fleiss has shown since episode one when Travis put his jacket on her outside but didn't do that with any other woman. So they've shown Travis as being into her the whole time, but they defiantely gave him an out for not choosing her in the end by editing her family visit the way they did.

What I think will happen is Susan's going to finish burying herself this week, and that will put Moana and Sarah into the final two. Moana moved up ahead of Susan last week, and will go into the final two as the frontrunner - but somewhere in there Fleiss and company will pull the final switch in the musical chairs and Sarah will be the one he ends up choosing in the end.

Now couple the editing with the blogs and posts from family friends - and I think that it all supports the idea of Moana being #2.

Thanks

Based on your post, all we need to know comes from the show itself: giving Moana the jacket, Sarah sharing her friend to boyfriend pattern, the Nashville talk, the buildup to whether this could move beyond friendship, the roast in the OC. Really, the screencaps could then be viewed as nothing much because the musical chair clues are all on the epis.
    Who we are is not defined by what we own or how we earn our living. Who we are is evidenced in our quiet passions ... and the signature we trace on those we love.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast