+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDITING-it's consequences

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    Not necessarily - although, I am for ever grateful that I don't have Susan's mother. Unlike so many others, I don't feel her concern was for Susan's long term happiness, nor Travis'; rather, I think she's jealous of Susan, always has been, and used the opportunity to skewer her child in public.

Susan, though, can still redeem herself, she hasn't had the opportunity to do so, yet. Even in a court of law, she'd be allowed to present her side before being sent to the gallows.

And, most importantly of all, Travis wants her to be redeemed, if it's at all possible.
    So you're saying that it looks bad now, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings. I agree. Untill wee see Susan rehearsing for a funeral scene in the loser limo there's still hope that she might be brought back from editing Siberia. If he wants her, he'll keep her no matter what her mother said, at least untill given definitive proof that she's really just putting on a show for him.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by vicyn8 View Post
    The twist revealed. And I think his friends where actually giving us a hint when they pulled out the case which contained 3 rings. +
    Travis can't decide on just one out of the final 3... So the twist is that he's decided on the ring that they show him holding, and each of the remaining 3 get to choose a ring, and whichever one picks the right ring wins!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    Not necessarily - although, I am for ever grateful that I don't have Susan's mother. Unlike so many others, I don't feel her concern was for Susan's long term happiness, nor Travis'; rather, I think she's jealous of Susan, always has been, and used the opportunity to skewer her child in public.

Susan, though, can still redeem herself, she hasn't had the opportunity to do so, yet. Even in a court of law, she'd be allowed to present her side before being sent to the gallows.

And, most importantly of all, Travis wants her to be redeemed, if it's at all possible.
    What an interesting take on Susan about her mother. I can see it - mom, a plain jane who is blessed with a beautiful, intelligent daughter. She wants to live vicariously through her, but is torn by jealousy . . hmmm! I was horrified that her mother tried to sabotage her so thoroughly. I would have been furious at my mom if she had done something like that and I'll bet Susan was too. That was awful and totally inappropriate for her mom to behave like that. And, of course, the camera crew and editors had a ball with that one - I can see them rubbing their hands together with glee.

remember how people were saying susans hands were on her face in the limmo?

I can see it now.

"Limmo driver... What reaction is better when I get the rose? that one? or this one... " "Or should I do this one... " hmm."

FORT Fan

edit

The trick in this series is that generally rides a line between snark and actual romance combined with an element of suspense. I imagine, it's just not that easy to keep the balance. The Jesse season went so deep into the snark that I can't remember anything resembling romance after Trish the stalker, Tara's dad shooting Dick Cheney, and whatever they did to that poor lawyer from San Antonio who actually seemed very likeable. The Charlie season started that way and then it seemed at the end they had sort of a change of heart.

This one just bounces back and forth between the b-fest aimed at Moana and the attempt to make Travis appear more dashing than he is. My sense is that the editing this time is much too self-consciously trying to create some tension that didn't really exist.

Editing is huge. I find that each season they create a good vs evil ( ofcourse overstated evil part) or a rags and riches-something along that line., sometimes it is easy-kirsten (lying,less then smart, boyfrined at home)
    vs jen , other seasons a little more difficult but they find a way to make it
    seem like polar opposites-when I bet that is very far from the truth.
    Each season we are left to figure out which edit is the "favorable" one. Was Matt the stand up country boy with model good looks and low risk or Ian,
    the wealthy commitment phobic jet setter. Neither of which are "bad" just
    different.
    With 6 weeks of footage I always question WHY they pick what they do to show us. Every minute has a purpose-IMO. Why show the fights or moanna alone in her room sulking? when we see the pics of her and Tara arm in arm why wasn't that shown? My opinion is hours of footage are reduced to tell a
    story. Setting up the finale of A -VS- B- whatever conflict is available.
    I think a small character flaw or personality can be exagerated by asking the right questions in the confessionals and whose comments they show and when.

FORT Regular
    I think that you have to remember how fickle and easily swayed the general public can be. Most of the viewers of this show watch for entertainment and have little emotional investment in it. The things that they remember most are the the ones that are most recent. (This could be said for most things - you want to be one of the last people applying for a job because you are freshest in the mind of the employer).

I didn't like Sarah B. in the beginning, but I did by the time she went home. I think more about how she was at the end than at the beginning.

They HAD to show us the confrontation between Moana and the other girls. It made for good tv and there was no way they were going to leave it out. In my opinion, they could have portrayed Moana a lot worse on tv than they did. You have to be a true fan of the show to go to the ABC site and see more of her crying and having another confrontation with the girls. What the general public saw was Moana saying she "stands at the back of the room" and was skeptical of the whole process of this show. Then we see her say "I want this guy...Game on!" and her attempts to get Travis' attention. Some of the viewers saw her as aggressive and a non-conformist with the other girls and some saw her as someone going after what she wants. Reaction is mixed, but not necessarily entirely negative.

If she is one that Travis picks, then she will get a "good" edit for the rest of the time. People will remember the romance of Venice that they just saw over a cat-fight that they saw weeks ago and even if they remember the cat-fight, they will be more forgiving because in the end, she seems o.k. and Travis likes her.

Her family got the bad edit last week more than she did. All we saw negative of her was that video of her crying to Travis. It personally annoyed me, but I'm not a big fan of hers anyway. Some people will be more sensitive towards her and say it's because of her family that she is that way. I have a feeling that she is going to "look good" tonight and possibly next week, if she's the final one!

just killin' time . . . Truewriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan133 View Post
    Editing is huge.
    ITA editing is huge. When you consider that a producer's take on a story can influence millions of opinions.

What I find twisted and sad is that Fleiss and his toadies always seem to go for the throat--they don't care how much pain their editing causes--as long as it makes for good entertainment. Oh I know, people say "they should know better than to sign up for The Bachelor" but everyone makes mistakes, right? Can you imagine being humilated in front of MILLIONS of people?

It seems like a pretty tough punishment for a few moments of stupidity.
    Futile--the winds--to a heart in port. --Emily Dickinson

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Truewriter View Post
    ITA editing is huge. When you consider that a producer's take on a story can influence millions of opinions.

What I find twisted and sad is that Fleiss and his toadies always seem to go for the throat--they don't care how much pain their editing causes--as long as it makes for good entertainment. Oh I know, people say "they should know better than to sign up for The Bachelor" but everyone makes mistakes, right? Can you imagine being humilated in front of MILLIONS of people?

It seems like a pretty tough punishment for a few moments of stupidity.
    I agree, Truewriter. What I have been trying to figure out is why Moana's family got such a bad edit, whether she is the winner or not. Susan's family provided plenty of drama with her mom and dad questioning her motives and they could have easily edited Travis and Sarah S.'s dad to look like they couldn't find anything to talk about.

I personally think that Moana's parents may have ticked them off a little bit for basically slamming what they do for a living. Her mom saying that the show mocked the sanctity of marriage might have irked a few of them because it seemed like she was criticizing them for their profession. I know, I could be giving the producers too much credit for caring, but I think they used this to make "good tv" and edited her parents very badly. By all accounts that visit did not go as bad as it seemed. Why portray it as if it did? Especially if she is the final girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadgal View Post
    I agree, Truewriter. What I have been trying to figure out is why Moana's family got such a bad edit, whether she is the winner or not. Susan's family provided plenty of drama with her mom and dad questioning her motives and they could have easily edited Travis and Sarah S.'s dad to look like they couldn't find anything to talk about.

I personally think that Moana's parents may have ticked them off a little bit for basically slamming what they do for a living. Her mom saying that the show mocked the sanctity of marriage might have irked a few of them because it seemed like she was criticizing them for their profession. I know, I could be giving the producers too much credit for caring, but I think they used this to make "good tv" and edited her parents very badly. By all accounts that visit did not go as bad as it seemed. Why portray it as if it did? Especially if she is the final girl.
    That was probably the case for Moanas Family. But if Travis didnt like them so much... he obviously has a really big connection with Moana because he chose her.

As ive said before, if editing is the key of who the winner is... I think Moana is going to win. She has had tons of one on one time and most romantic falling for eachother thing for him. If were going by the time on screen, Sarah S has it because of all her commentary...

to me the person who has the most commentary only cares about what is going on around her, and i dont think she gets far. cuz moanas one on one time definitley adds up to love more then commentary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast