+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fleiss and Co.'s formula for the Bachelor **possible spoilers**

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandedame View Post
    Having the plainest homliest one win is highly unlikely.

Maybe some people can see beyond the package to the beauty on the inside. Maybe others with beautiful packages are homely and plain on the inside.
    Geez, beauty is in the eye of the beholder definitely, because I wouldn't say any of the top four would be characterized in the Homely Category.. But back to the topic of this thread... to tie that in... Fleiss and his crew definitely hope to perpetuate a stereotype for all the characters in the drama... They know that we as viewers see these people differently for many different reasons, but I believe they hope to guide our opinions through clever editing and innuendos .... .
    Think about how vastly different people saw Matt and Ian from Meredith's season. The lines were clearly drawn by the general (not into sleuthing) public.. And even last season, the lines were drawn between Sarah B and Krisily. Krisily though, got the most about face editing from she-witch to poor-me, I tell it like it is, but I'm sincere, that I can remember.
    So in this season, I think we will perhaps see the biggest switch in softening the editing where Moana is concerned. It looks like this bitchy-no one likes, split personality edit... will probably start to soften to a empathetic one, where we see her "bare her soul"... and maybe understand her a little better. As for Susan and Sarah S... I think they are both going to be edited pretty much to script of Beautiful "Princess".. pretty sincere.. but those nagging acting aspirations, leaves to question her motive for being there. The girl next door school teacher.. that is a chatterbox and can be catty and not so sure if she could ever get the Doctor's passion going... which pretty much leave them in a category where either you like them or you don't. I've noticed most people formed their opinions about those 2 pretty early and FOR THE MOST PART : have stayed with that feeling... and it doesn't look like Fleiss's editing is changing many opinions.

FORT Regular
    I firmly believe that Fleiss & Co aggressively "cast" this show. Sure, they allege they are populating the mix with ladies purported to be Travis' type, but as we have clearly seen, a room of 25 of Travis' type might be as exciting as watching the elmers glue on your fingers dry. Seriously, Fleiss & Co have done this long enough to know what hooks the public and thereby, the advertisers and the $$$. It's drama... it's good versus bad... it's bats*** crazy... it's scandal. They absolutely want the s*** disturbers (Krisily last season), the pageant girls, the girls-next-door, the girls you were afraid of in high school, the party girls, those that put-out on a first "date", and the list goes on. I think the show is getting stale because they have replicated the same mold over-and-over again by casting the shows so similarly regardless of it is the Bachelor or the Bachelorette. Sure the names of the people change, but it's the same story/same drama/same same. Moving the show to NYC or to Paris does not mean much to me. Change-up the entire format with something truly shocking and people may again be intrigued. Stop using the same molds for casting and staging... hey, it might be equally exciting!
    Last edited by fluff; 02-01-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1flwr View Post
    I firmly believe that Fleiss & Co aggressively "cast" this show. Sure, they allege they are populating the mix with ladies purported to be Travis' type, but as we have clearly seen, a room of 25 of Travis' type might be as exciting as watching the elmers glue on your fingers dry. Seriously, Fleiss & Co have done this long enough to know what hooks the public and thereby, the advertisers and the $$$. It's drama... it's good versus bad... it's bats*** crazy... it's scandal. They absolutely want the **** disturbers (Krisily last season), the pageant girls, the girls-next-door, the girls you were afraid of in high school, the party girls, those that put-out on a first "date", and the list goes on. I think the show is getting stale because they have replicated the same mold over-and-over again by casting the shows so similarly regardless of it is the Bachelor or the Bachelorette. Sure the names of the people change, but it's the same story/same drama/same same. Moving the show to NYC or to Paris does not mean much to me. Change-up the entire format with something truly shocking and people may again be intrigued. Stop using the same molds for casting and staging... hey, it might be equally exciting!
    good points wild1flwr, that I agree with, but the funny thing is, despite all the repeat drama and stale story lines.. 6 + million people continue to tune in!!
    Last edited by fluff; 02-01-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild1flwr View Post
    Change-up the entire format with something truly shocking and people may again be intrigued. Stop using the same molds for casting and staging... hey, it might be equally exciting!
    How about choosing the cast at random by slipping 25 Bachelorette Golden Tickets into Slim-Fast bars?

They'll have to soften Moana (at least her edit) because Travis will have to be caught in the dilemma of who to choose. Even when it was so blatantly obvious with Mer and Ian, they had to add the drama of Mer asking for a ring from Matt so we could still be surprised when we're down to the final 2. Remember the crying jag that Mer had - sheesh! Somehow I don't see how they get around that. If we saw a love story then we'd know for sure who won, so why bother. They need to lead us on with at least the final 4 to add drama. Sucks to watch though.

I also think Sarah S. is just as attractive physically. Her body isn't just skinny it's toned, and athletic. Much more appealing, especially down the road. Now if you've got a saggy chest already then how about in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    How about choosing the cast at random by slipping 25 Bachelorette Golden Tickets into Slim-Fast bars?
    Do you think that would be wise? I'm thinking more like individual packages of baby carrots.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    They've cast the hero/villain against one another in F2 in quite a few of the shows. They usually begin to really highlight the character differences as early as the last episode (sometimes sooner, but at least when they are down to 6)

I think that's the formula they are following now I think to some extent...Moana or Susan (both with hidden agendas) vs SS (sweet, wholesome, stable)

Ian (unemployed-but-really-a-retired-venture-capitalist and sexually charged) vs Matt (the sweet, safe, stable choice)

Kirstin (the gold-digging, two timer that was hated by all the girls) vs Jen (the homely, sweet, buddy buddy)

Jerry (the risky, sexually charged guy) vs Jean Claude Van Daam, oh, I mean John Paul (the wealthy, stable, mature beyond his years)
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife View Post
    They've cast the hero/villain against one another in F2 in quite a few of the shows. They usually begin to really highlight the character differences as early as the last episode (sometimes sooner, but at least when they are down to 6)

I think that's the formula they are following now I think to some extent...Moana or Susan (both with hidden agendas) vs SS (sweet, wholesome, stable)
    Well, they haven't made Susan look evil yet, and I don't think Moana looks all that evil, either - she's just sort of a "perpetual victim" (looks like her parents "victimize" her next week) and an emotional head case. If Fleiss wants a genuine villain in the Final, he'd better get moving on the bad editing.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Oh Randal..I know you have rose colored glasses on for Susan and you're right to some extent about Susan...they haven't shown her bad side "yet", unless you count the rehearsed lines she has used. BUT, the episode description for next week, appears to bring her points down a few notches and my bets are on her being the one to show fangs.

Moana has been shown the be the least favorite in the house (comparable to Kirstin) and moody, emotional and ruthless with the others. And she does get the crazy "potential future in-law" edit next week.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RandalR View Post
    Well, they haven't made Susan look evil yet, and I don't think Moana looks all that evil, either - she's just sort of a "perpetual victim" (looks like her parents "victimize" her next week) and an emotional head case. If Fleiss wants a genuine villain in the Final, he'd better get moving on the bad editing.
    I don't think it's always 'evil" vs goody-goody per say.. Jerry was definitely not considered evil.. just a questionable agenda was the theme.. same w/ Ian. Now Krisily, as I said earlier had a real witchy edit at first and they reversed their approach I thought when she got to the home visit round and made her more 'likeable' for lack of a better word.
    I think Moana's edit in particular has been more of a questionable agenda theme than villian and it looks like Susan's is more a questionable motive for being there theme also. Sarah T.'s theme to me has been... "narrator, and catty and questionable appeal to the bachelor" .. which from Travis's comments before the date was actually for real and not a characterization.. the other part of her theme was more editor-calculated (imo.. and I know a lot of you don't agree on that point.. but what can I say.. how dull would life be if we all agreed! )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast