+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand the appeal of this show

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    I also think Bob, with permission of the producers told Estella that he had fallen in love while waiting for the show to begin taping. She was an odd choice and probably one with whom he felt little connection. It would have been too callous to do otherwise.
    I agree that he chose Estella because he was sure that this would be the easiest relationship to get out of. She clearly made it that way for him in the final two, saying stuff about how she wasn't really asking for a commitment, while Kelly Jo kept saying "the rest of my life."

But, given the pissed-off things that Estella said about Bob after he dumped her, I kind of doubt that he actually told her what the deal was.

I think it's more likely that he's un-callous enough to choose the woman who was least obviously attached but still callous enough (or tightly enough controlled by the Fleiss machine) to not let her know that he was, in fact, taken.

Quote Originally Posted by luvlady345 View Post
    After Andrew and Jen broke up, I gave up on them finding soul mates, to me if they stay together more than 5 months I deem them as sucessful, that is about the average of non -reality relationships...........
    And 5 months is stretch---ing it.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

For me, The appeal of this show is sheer boredom and nothing else to watch or do on Monday night - I know, that is SAD!!!!

At it's heart, this show is a cynic's paradise. It's not about love, it's about what people will do for the ILLUSION of love.

The audience is part of this illusion as much as the players. The show only works if ABC can convincingly maintain the illusion, at yet at the same time there's always an element of spectacle about it--that if it devolves into a freak show, that's also a sub-culture of viewership the show will willingly reward.

So if there's a kind of "watching an car-wreck as you drive by" aspect to the show, it's not unintentional, but it also can't be allowed to dominate the show. Otherwise this might as well be a FOX reality show with midgets getting married.

Thus the show relies on it's stalkers, psycho competitors, and emotional wrecks, while maintaining that there's some perfectly nice not TOO boring girl who makes it to the end and pretends to have a relationship with a guy, which will last through a forced 5 or 6 month seperation and communication blackout. But it also relies on viewers to forget how unlikely it is for this "couple" to maintain more than a polite interest in each other after all of this, not to mention selective amnesia about how differently people react in front of cameras, and suspension of disbelief about the core characteristics of people who are willing to put themselves up for display and potential public mockery in the first place.

Then, in the rare cases where the illusion is maintained, there's the additional corruption of documenting the eventual wedding of the lovely couple, since the additional cash is always welcomed.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    When I watch this show, I want to believe that these relationships could actually work in the real world. However, not a single girl in this episode seems offer the intellectual stimulation I imagine a doctor to want.

Maybe he's all about T&A and and trophy wives?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I quit watching Bachelor/Bachelorette after that stupid ninny Jen dumped Jerry....I just couldn't stand to watch it anymore and have reserved my right to protest how terrible Jerry was treated by never watching another episode....I come in here and read the re-caps sometimes and a girl I work with and also my mom still watch so I hear bits and pieces but I stand by my man (Jerry!)
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    When I watch this show, I want to believe that these relationships could actually work in the real world. However, not a single girl in this episode seems offer the intellectual stimulation I imagine a doctor to want.

Maybe he's all about T&A and and trophy wives?

I've never watched a complete episode of the Bachelor(ette) mainly because I have something better to do or I'd rather do nothing than watch it. (And it's not 'cause I'm high and mighty--those of you on the other boards know I watch my share of crap!)

BUT, I did see part of the last episode and the whole thing drove me crazy because... women have been fighting over men since the dawn of time and while it's a bitchy little reality that I know exists, I don't enjoy watching it played out on TV. I also find it gross that these women--knowing that he's making out with the others--willingly kiss him. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. He's a doctor. Doesn't he know about mono? I know, I know--everyone knew the rules of this show and the women came willingly on it (as did he).

He's definitely hot--I will give the show that. But how seriously are patients going to take him? I love my doctor but I don't want to know that he's a sexual being. I just want to know that he's kickass smart and can do the job. And I'm sorry, but I couldn't take this guy seriously knowing that he was on this show.

I guess my question is, do you think he's seriously going to stay a doctor or he's just another numbnut trying to become an "actor" or a "celebrity"?

Also, aside from the occassional change in hair color, all the women looked the same to me. I do wish I had seen the episode when that one woman went nuts on him. I've heard so much about it! Wasn't she a doctor, too? Scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    At it's heart, this show is a cynic's paradise. It's not about love, it's about what people will do for the ILLUSION of love.

The audience is part of this illusion as much as the players. The show only works if ABC can convincingly maintain the illusion, at yet at the same time there's always an element of spectacle about it--that if it devolves into a freak show, that's also a sub-culture of viewership the show will willingly reward.

So if there's a kind of "watching an car-wreck as you drive by" aspect to the show, it's not unintentional, but it also can't be allowed to dominate the show. Otherwise this might as well be a FOX reality show with midgets getting married.

Thus the show relies on it's stalkers, psycho competitors, and emotional wrecks, while maintaining that there's some perfectly nice not TOO boring girl who makes it to the end and pretends to have a relationship with a guy, which will last through a forced 5 or 6 month seperation and communication blackout. But it also relies on viewers to forget how unlikely it is for this "couple" to maintain more than a polite interest in each other after all of this, not to mention selective amnesia about how differently people react in front of cameras, and suspension of disbelief about the core characteristics of people who are willing to put themselves up for display and potential public mockery in the first place.

Then, in the rare cases where the illusion is maintained, there's the additional corruption of documenting the eventual wedding of the lovely couple, since the additional cash is always welcomed.
    Yea, I think that most of the couples that are together after the bachelor don't last because they're made to wait...for 5 or 6 months while the show is being aired ... which can't be all too good for the relationship!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre View Post
    I agree that he chose Estella because he was sure that this would be the easiest relationship to get out of. She clearly made it that way for him in the final two, saying stuff about how she wasn't really asking for a commitment, while Kelly Jo kept saying "the rest of my life."

But, given the pissed-off things that Estella said about Bob after he dumped her, I kind of doubt that he actually told her what the deal was.

I think it's more likely that he's un-callous enough to choose the woman who was least obviously attached but still callous enough (or tightly enough controlled by the Fleiss machine) to not let her know that he was, in fact, taken.
    This makes sense. I had forgotten or never realized she bad mouthed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I've never watched a complete episode of the Bachelor(ette) mainly because I have something better to do or I'd rather do nothing than watch it. (And it's not 'cause I'm high and mighty--those of you on the other boards know I watch my share of crap!)

BUT, I did see part of the last episode and the whole thing drove me crazy because... women have been fighting over men since the dawn of time and while it's a bitchy little reality that I know exists, I don't enjoy watching it played out on TV. I also find it gross that these women--knowing that he's making out with the others--willingly kiss him. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. He's a doctor. Doesn't he know about mono? I know, I know--everyone knew the rules of this show and the women came willingly on it (as did he).

He's definitely hot--I will give the show that. But how seriously are patients going to take him? I love my doctor but I don't want to know that he's a sexual being. I just want to know that he's kickass smart and can do the job. And I'm sorry, but I couldn't take this guy seriously knowing that he was on this show.

I guess my question is, do you think he's seriously going to stay a doctor or he's just another numbnut trying to become an "actor" or a "celebrity"?

Also, aside from the occassional change in hair color, all the women looked the same to me. I do wish I had seen the episode when that one woman went nuts on him. I've heard so much about it! Wasn't she a doctor, too? Scary...
    Very cute commentary (and pretty astute too). I watch if I like the Bachelor and find him appealing (couldn't watch more than 2 episodes of Charlie O'Connell and Bob bored me after one). My favorite Bachelor - Byron hands down. This guy is a big, blond, adonis - sorely lacking a personality but I give him high marks for being eye candy. He kind of reminds me of a male Jen. So far I am watching so I can play the Rose Game and see how they edit it so we can't easily guess his choice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast