+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bachelor Media Thread

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar

Bachelor Media Thread

this article is from the Star.. and I must say, based on it... I would speculate that the "ex-girlfriend" is not so "ex"... but why the heck would she put up with watching him make out with all these chicks (and who knows how far they will go, since there are, after all, NOT RULES!!

THE NEW BACHELOR SCANDAL
    IS HE REALLY SINGLE?

Charlie O'Connell and Brother Jerry O'Connell
    Who Is Charlie O'Connell?

He's appeared in a handful of TV shows and movies but is best known for co-starring with brother Jerry in the Sci Fi Channel series Sliders in the late '90s.
    Born and raised in New York City, Charlie was a champion fencer at New York University.
    "The most annoying thing Charlie does is play a lot of video games," says longtime girlfriend Dana Cole Minutoli. "And one of his aspirations is to open a miniature golf course."
    Charlie is 6'4" (Jerry is 6'2") -- but he's no hoops star. "I beat him in basketball," says 5'5" Dana. "That illustrates how bad Charlie is!"

There are two rumors running rampant across Internet reality TV fan sites about Charlie O'Connell, the actor/model starring in the latest installment of ABC's The Bachelor. One is that he ditched a longtime girlfriend in order to appear on the show. The other is that he may actually still be secretly involved with her!

What's the story? To find out, Star nabbed an exclusive interview with the woman in question, retired Wall Street trader, entrepreneur and aspiring actress Dana Cole Minutoli--who still lives across the street from Charlie in L.A.!

GOOD-TIME CHARLIE?
    "Charlie and I were still in a relationship in recent months," Minutoli, 27, tells Star somewhat cryptically. "I don't want to say any more, because I don't know what his show's contract says." An ABC rep wouldn't comment on the girlfriend rumors but this could be the last go-round for The Bachelor, which has seen sharply declining ratings --and no lasting romances The Bachelorette's Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter made it to the altar). If O'Connell, 29, (younger brother of Crossing Jordan star Jerry O'Connell) was already involved with a brainy, beautiful woman, why would he sign on to The Bachelor? "Ask any struggling actor to go on TV with 25 female models and beauty pageant winners, and they'd have a hard time saying no," says Minutoli. "It's sex, publicity and money. But the show looks like it'll be portraying Charlie as a big playboy; I would have preferred to see him the way his friends see him, as a sweet guy."

MEET MARKET
    New York natives Charlie and Dana first met in June 2003 at a bar in the seaside resort town of Montauk (where both their families have homes) on New York's Long Island. Dana recalls: "I had just retired from my Wall Street job. Charlie came up to me and said, 'I'm your stalker! Can I talk to you?' Within a week, we were attached at the hip."

O'Connell, who was visiting his family for the summer, was living in an apartment in Los Angeles. "I was already planning to move to L.A. in the fall when we met," says Minutoli, who now owns a designer jewelry business (kismetjewelry.com), and will be hosting an L.A.-based music video series for cable TV. "So Charlie found me an apartment right across the street from his own! He would do wonderful little things for me like my laundry and grocery shopping. And he'd hand draw romantic little cards for me on special occasions; he's more the 'lovable and cute' type than 'hot romantic.'"

WILL HE GO ALL THE WAY?
    Does Minutoli think there's a chance O'Connell will find a mate for life on The Bachelor? "Falling in love is always a possibility, but I -- and most of Charlie's friends -- don't believe the show will end in his marriage," says Dana. So back to the original rumor: Is there still anything between Minutoli and her closer-than-close neighbor? "We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?" she winks.
    -- JENNIFER BIRN & ALEX BURTON

http://www.starmagazine.com/teamstar/
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

People.com Article about Charlie

Boy, they just keep getting 'better'.. NOT!! Get the excuse he claims he gave his girlfriend for breaking up... this one alone with the Star article just continue to make this the "sleaze fest" of all dating shows.. (well, I don't know.. those blind date and elimi-date.. shows are pretty bad also..
    CelebrityQ&A

Charlie O'Connell
    The newest Bachelor reveals his perfect match – and why he broke up with his girlfriend

Friday Mar 25, 2005 6:00am EST
    By Cynthia Wang
    CREDIT: BOB D’AMICO/ABC

Charlie O'Connell takes the plunge on the latest installment of ABC's The Bachelor – all thanks to actor brother Jerry (Jordan's Crossing). "(His) friend is one of the producers, and Jerry said, 'What do you think of becoming the next Bachelor,' " recalls Charlie. "I chuckled." Then the New Yorker thought, "Why not?" Charlie, 29, recently talked about finding love among 25 women and confronts the rumor that he dumped his girlfriend for the...Get instant access to the rest of this article and all of PEOPLE.com when you subscribe to PEOPLE magazine today.

http://people.aol.com/people/article...041561,00.html

More of that People article:

Jerry was a pudgy kid who grew into a star. What about you?
    I was born two months premature, so I was about half my brother's size up until maybe 11th grade when I sprouted up (to 6'3"). Before that, I was 5'7". Now I teach sailing every summer in Montauk, Long Island. I'm basically a camp counselor to 10- to 13-year-olds for three months out of the year.

It's been alleged that you dumped your girlfriend to be on the show. Any truth to that?
    After about a year you have to decide if it's right and if it's worth going on, and it just so happened it was around the same time. But I broke up with her, and what better way to break up with a girl than to tell her you're going on The Bachelor?

What's your dating life like?
    I was a late bloomer. My first girlfriend was the senior year of college. I've had three relationships in my life that lasted for just about over a year. My parents have been married for 33 years. I am not trying to rush into marriage because I'm only going to do it once in my life.

What's your ideal woman?
    What I am looking for in a girl? ... If I knew what I was looking for, I'd go get a mail-order bride! Obviously, I like a pretty girl, but then you've got to be able to make me laugh.

Any turnoffs?
    If they like my brother. No! An immediate turnoff? Probably rudeness, like to a waiter or someone like that.

Had you watched the show in the past?
    I haven't watched the other ones, but I will tell you I am more of a jeans guy than a suit any day, so I thought it would be a better way to portray myself. I am not trying to fake who I am. I am definitely not Mr. Right.

Were you worried at all that some of the women were there because of your famous brother?
    If you've ever watched his movie Calendar Girl, I don't know why you'd think that! ... We competed a lot growing up, but in high school he would always sell me as a date, and my mom would always make me go on these dates. This one I thank him for.

Are you really thinking you're going to find love here?
    I am really hoping so.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    What's your ideal woman?
    What I am looking for in a girl? ... If I knew what I was looking for, I'd go get a mail-order bride! Obviously, I like a pretty girl, but then you've got to be able to make me laugh. (from the People Article)

I was going to comment on how the hype is now being spun - and the show hasn't even aired yet (soon!). But this Q/A got me. From woman in the question to girl in the answer. Reads like a highschool answer...where humor in the ideal always ranks high. The mail-order bride portion is interesting. More immaturity showing through a throw away answer.

I got the impression from reading both articles that the girlfriend answer has been spun. She is coy and he doesn't hang onto relationships longer than one year. She lumped herself with his friends and he says he is moving on. (Right into our picture tubes.)

From Mz Daisy's quotes from Chris, I may need to re-think my first night bye-byes. Most, if not all of the girls, he mentions I have as First Night Fodder.

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA

TV Guide Article

In the TV Guide, dated April 17-23, they mentioned The Bachelor in the "Cheers & Jeers" section:

Jeers to The Bachelor for its sleaziest season yet. It's hard to imagine any woman considering Charlie O'Connell - the less attractive, charm-free younger brother of Crossing Jordan costar Jerry O'Connell - to be a catch. Then we met the classless gaggle of schemers competing for his affections. In an attempt to boost its sagging ratings, the show has thrown out all its rules, along with any sense of romance. It's time for ABC to dump this Bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by satorus
    In the TV Guide, dated April 17-23, they mentioned The Bachelor in the "Cheers & Jeers" section:

Jeers to The Bachelor for its sleaziest season yet. It's hard to imagine any woman considering Charlie O'Connell - the less attractive, charm-free younger brother of Crossing Jordan costar Jerry O'Connell - to be a catch. Then we met the classless gaggle of schemers competing for his affections. In an attempt to boost its sagging ratings, the show has thrown out all its rules, along with any sense of romance. It's time for ABC to dump this Bachelor.
    I can't tell, do they like the show or not?

Seriously though, I agree with everything they've said and that's what's making it such a hoot to watch. I say give it a thumbs up for not pretending anymore.

I still dunno what producers could've been thinking when they chose to dump the romance. But this season's ratings are lower than all previous seasons. It didn't even make the top 20 Nielson. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer
    I still dunno what producers could've been thinking when they chose to dump the romance. But this season's ratings are lower than all previous seasons. It didn't even make the top 20 Nielson. ha ha
    Actually, I didn't think Jen's season ever finished in the top 20 either. Weren't they usually 3rd or 4th in their time spot, so I guess Charlie's doing about the same... this week he was in 3rd place in his time slot.. wasn't that actually up against NCAA finals? So, I'm with Danger Bunny, throwing out the rules and not pretending there's a love story is actually making this show fun to watch just for laughs!

In season to date ratings, The Bachelor with Byron was #61 with an average of 8.8 million viewers. The Bachelorette with Jen was #63 with an average of 8.7 million viewers.

The Bachelor with Charlie last week was 4th in it's time period with 7.75 million viewers.

It doesn't look good for renewal.

Well duh....I'm not watching it but reading the threads. I wanted a love story, not a sleeze-fest. For that, there's Elimidate. (which I don't watch either)

Ahhh, tooo bad ABC let this possibility go down the tubes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast