+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bachelor Media Thread

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    I can't tell, do they like the show or not?

Too funny, Bunny

I also think this season is so much fun.

Love this article in ew today: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/comment...1_3_0_,00.html

The Half-Naked Half-Truth

The women of ''The Bachelor'' show their nasty side: They model their trampiest clothes, but their backstabbing and bickering are far more revealing by Michael Slezak

Welcome to Hoochfest 2005, bitches.

Okay, okay, I realize that's no way to speak to regular readers, but don't shoot the messenger. To paraphrase Shaggy, it wasn't me who uttered the aforementioned snippet of profanity, but rather, this season's resident ''good girl,'' Sarah B., a perky labor and delivery nurse who, I imagine, probably hears her fair share of salty language in the course of a typical work day. And indeed, while I've taken Sarah B.'s comment out of context she hollered her remarks as the bachelorettes modeled their trashiest clothing in an effort to mock resident floozy Kimberley (and quite likely to nab a few extra minutes of airtime) hoochfest is indeed the best word I can come up with to describe this season of ABC's reality dating series.

In fact, there's been so much heaved cleavage, guzzled alcohol, and slurpy kissing in the season's first three episodes that I'm starting to worry ABC is going to have to shift The Bachelor to Cinemax for the remainder of its run. But it's not really all the skankiness that shocks me. Nor is it the women's desperation to win the frat-boy heart of sometime actor Charlie O'Connell. (Alas, The Bachelor has never been a show to make you feel good about the state of feminism in America.) I'm not even taken aback by Charlie's unabashedly lowest-common-denominator approach to selecting a prospective mate. Nope, what gets to me is how utterly clueless all of the participants seem to be about their own mortifying behavior.

Take, for example, Kimberley, a woman audacious enough to call herself a ''family kind of girl'' while rubbing her bare foot on the inside of Charlie's thigh on their first date. Then again, what do you expect from a woman who carries her enormous breasts like a pair of weapons ready to burst forth from a series of slinglike bikini tops and bustiers, conquering any heterosexual male in their path.

Charlie ranks a close second behind the Canadian swimsuit model in the absurd-contradictions department. The guy talks a good game about wanting to settle down and find love, but then he sees Kimberley's form-fitting black cocktail dress and exclaims, ''Now we're cookin' with gas!''

The one thing I can say for Kimberley and Charlie, for that matter is that they do seem to actually know themselves. I thought the show's producers were up to some mean trick sending the duo to an art gallery, but Charlie quickly defused the situation by cracking a genuinely funny joke about how he and art are as close as his index and middle fingers. And heck, who knew Kimberley could be funny, too, like when she pointed to a seascape with the word sex superimposed on it and declared it a winner. (She was making a joke, right?) I just wish we hadn't been exposed to the grody bottoms of Charlie's white socks during the couple's late-night makeout session.

Speaking of dirty laundry, what's up with early front-runner Sarah W.? Is the blond Fergie look-alike really the world-class villain the other women paint her to be, or is she just the victim of a vast bachelorette conspiracy? Well, let's think about it. We all know she chooses to knit quietly instead of hang around drinking and arguing with the other she-beasts. And, oh yeah, she tries to get time alone with Charlie whenever she can. Plus, when you throw her in the water, she floats. That settles it! Burn her! Burn her!

Seriously, though, there might be a little bit of a devil in Sarah W. How about her fuzzy, noncommittal response to the girls' questions about the appropriateness of casual sex? And certainly it wasn't very nice of her to tell Sarah B. she wasn't making the final four, then add ''at least [Charlie] has good taste.'' Still, if there's something of a schemer behind those doll-like eyes, all the better, especially if it inspires additional crowd-pleasing outbursts from the show's resident nut-job and human shot glass, Krisily. Ooh. Let's roll the tape:

''Truly, I do not know what Sarah W.'s last name is. But it could absolutely stand for wicked, witch, I don't know about worm, definitely weasel.'' Krisily's quips are a lot more polished when they've been practiced, but she's no less crazy when she's spontaneously attacking Sarah W. either. ''Since you've been here, you haven't had your own personality, you haven't been yourself, you haven't been realistic about anything!'' Krisily screeched, as if their relationship went back further than two weeks. What in the name of all that's holy is she talking about? Anyone?

A lot of EW.com message-board posters are speculating that the producers have forced Charlie to keep troublemaking Krisily in the mix, but I get the impression the Bachelor genuinely enjoys her hellion presence in the house, even if he's not all that into her romantically.

Charlie certainly doesn't seem terribly attracted to ''serious women,'' as the two remaining ones single mom Kara and seemingly brainy Jenny got booted this week. Charlie's gentle rejection of the former and his total lack of interest in the latter speak volumes about his character. Indeed, by eliminating Kara, Charlie proved that while he may not be the world's most marriage-minded single guy, he's no cad. This season of The Bachelor is no place for someone who's responsible for the care and well-being of a child.

As for Jenny, her ''I'm smart, and I'm pretty, and I'm funny, and I'm successful'' speech left out the part about how she didn't seem to even like Charlie, let alone be interested in dating him, and once again, the Bachelor saw right through it, giving the shrill Canadian and her pink prom dress the pink slip. Jenny provided the evening's final contradiction, declaring her ouster was ''no big deal,'' then bursting into tears. But on a show that's so blissfully deplorable, so grotesquely entertaining, who would have it any other way?

What do you think of this season of The Bachelor? Are you missing the romance? Are you enjoying the craziness? And if you were a single woman, would you be interested in dating Charlie?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    PRIME TIME SLIME

By FARRAH WEINSTEIN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New 'Bachelor' Charlie O'Connell is TV's most hated hunk.

April 13, 2005 -- HE'S no Prince Charming, that's for sure. Charlie O'Connell, the seventh "Bachelor" on ABC's beloved fantasy-reality show, has women viewers seething and ripping him to shreds on the network's message boards.
    The 29-year-old brother of actor Jerry O'Connell has been called an "idiot," "creep," "boob," "cad," "boozer," "player" and "dog." The show's new direction has been labeled shameful, disturbing, trashy, painful, raunchy, degrading and sleazy - basically, everything you could ever want from reality TV.

Viewers can't understand why ABC chose O'Connell to be the Bachelor, with his garbled, nearly unintelligible voice, beer belly and overbearing egomania.

A financial trader and actor who had small roles in "Dude, Where's My Car?" and TV's "Crossing Jordan," O'Connell seems intent on proving he's a jerk.

Three episodes in, he's voted off one contender because she's a single mom and nixed another contestant who bleached her hair to impress him.

On Monday night's episode, he made out with Kimberly then blabbed about his conquest to all the other women, including Sarah W., whom he snogged on a previous episode.

If fans could vote anybody off the show, it would be O'Connell.

"This guy Charlie is just a stark-raving, blithering idiot," writes Mrnwside. "What a stupid sleaze-bucket."

Keekee969 writes: "He is the worst! He is the world's biggest dud!"

Former "Bachelors" like wealthy banker Aaron Buerge and NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer were charming, well-groomed and polished right out of a fairy tale.

But O'Connell's smarmy style perfectly fits ABC's new "Bachelor" format: No limos. No gowns. No fancy dates.

Instead of wine tastingsand helicopter rides, Charlie has taken dates to the Brooklyn Brewery, Bowlmor Lanes and his apartment.

Still, the show managed to pull in 7.5 million viewers last Monday night, according to early Nielsen estimates. "The Bachelor" peaked in 2002, when its second season drew 16.8 million.

While O'Connell has ticked off a good chunk of the audience, some viewers actually like him.

"At least Charlie is honest," defends whatdaa328. "I think he is a player and a cad, but he admits it."

"Bachelor" fans have long touted the show's so-bad-it's-good quality, an expectation that O'Connell lives up to as do the girls chasing him.

Kimberly called "Kimboobly" on the boards wore a black tube dress to an art-gallery date with O'Connell.

"Now we are cooking," exclaimed, "with gas!"

O'Connell declined to be interviewed for this story. ABC would only say that he is "dating two [of the] women now" a move that won't surprise anyone.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/44453.htm

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Former "Bachelors" like wealthy banker Aaron Buerge and NFL quarterback Jesse Palmer were charming, well-groomed and polished right out of a fairy tale.
    Charming and polished?

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop
    Charming and polished?
    Hey, LemonDrop, I was reading that article thinking along the same lines!! This author obviously did NOT watch Jesse's series if he called the the "food stuffed" mouth of his blathering something..polished?? Or read about the classy Aaron who was hitting on women during his and Helene's secret date or Jesse's penchant for blond Barbie skanks and the original "ho" Trish!!
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Fabulous recap from Edmonton. Must read.

Very funny recap. Enjoy.
    http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2005/04/19/1003038.html

TV BACHELOR WAS A RACIST BULLY...

O'Connell made me fear for my life, says ex-classmate

-- Rebecca Mowling

A former classmate of Charlie O'Connell claims TV's new Bachelor ruined his life by terrorizing him during their school days.

Raymond Collins, 29, and Charlie both attended the private Bergen School together in Jersey City, N.J., when they were teenagers.

In an exclusive interview with The National Enquirer, Raymond said: "I'll never forget when I saw Charlie O'Connell's face on TV for the first time. I was in total shock. I couldn't believe he was on The Bachelor -- not after what I experienced in high school.

"This was a person who subjected me and others to constant harassment, verbal terrorism, racial epithets and even physical violence."

Charlie, the younger brother of actor Jerry O'Connell, is the current star of ABC's seventh series of The Bachelor.

"There were times when I feared for my life. Not one day went by that I wasn't verbally harassed about my weight or ethnicity," Raymond revealed.

"Charlie constantly called me fat and made fun of my national origin. He was always calling me 'Juan Valdez' like the character for Colombian coffee TV commercials. To him there was no difference between Puerto Ricans, Colombians or any other Latino ethnic group.

"I couldn't let him see me eat lunch help of two of his henchmen. Luckily my friend pulled me back before I fell down the hill. I could have been seriously injured or even died."

Raymond claims that since seeing Charlie on The Bachelor he has suffered severe nightmares about his school days.

"I've been reliving high school all over again. My wife wakes me up in the middle of my nightmares because she says she can't stand the screaming.

"But I have forgiven Charlie; my faith says I have to. If I had anything to say to anyone bullied by him or anyone else it would be 'Let go and Let God.' "

Published on: 04/25/2005
    http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63314

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    Raymond claims that since seeing Charlie on The Bachelor he has suffered severe nightmares about his school days.

"I've been reliving high school all over again. My wife wakes me up in the middle of my nightmares because she says she can't stand the screaming.

"But I have forgiven Charlie; my faith says I have to. If I had anything to say to anyone bullied by him or anyone else it would be 'Let go and Let God.' "

Published on: 04/25/2005
    http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63314
    "Bitterness is a poison you swallow in the hopes that the other person will die." I feel for this guy- being bullied isn't fun. I hope he is able to truly forgive and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    "I couldn't let him see me eat lunch help of two of his henchmen. Luckily my friend pulled me back before I fell down the hill. I could have been seriously injured or even died."
    Huh??

Quote Originally Posted by smartycat
    Huh??
    All your base.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast