+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Future of this Television "Series"

The Future of this Television "Series"

Had some thoughts on why the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows are losing viewers by the droves....I for one don't need to watch Jen's story anymore because it has been out in the papers as to who wins. This series has not been as compelling to watch and now that we know who wins...ho hum. It's like any show...the first year of a series is really good and then they start messing with the format and screw the whole show up. I for one do not think the Andrew/Jen or Mer/Ian shows were "failures" These set of people truely fell in love and continued their relationships for quite some time. Even in the real world people get together, then break up, and don't consider the time spent together a waste, people just grow and change. Failure was the Jessie/Jess, Aaron/Helene, and to some extent Bob/Estella (Bob found love with a women related to this show, so is that really a failure?) We don't expect to have a relationship that has developed over such a short time in the "real" world to last, so why would we expect it to on TV. I hope Jerry doesn't propose, he is being realistic...wait and see what happens. As for the series...lets get back to the format that brought us here to begin with...Bring back more of Chris (we all like him) and his interactions with the Bachelor. Here's a guy in a successful relationship, he ought to have some insight. Get REAL people on these shows, not actor want-to-bes, or models with agents...there are plenty of just normal people out there that are just great!
    Any thoughts........

Quote Originally Posted by chucksmiles
    I for one don't need to watch Jen's story anymore because it has been out in the papers as to who wins. This series has not been as compelling to watch and now that we know who wins...ho hum...
    I found this sentence interesting and here's why: One can literally search and find hundreds, if not thousands, of posts that want the exact opposite of what is said in the sentence quoted. A lot of people want to see the couple evolve instead of it being kept a secret. Just thought it was an interesting observation. In a fantasy world, I'd love to have the couple shown falling in love and it be more of a dating of two people and less of a competition. Unfortuneatly, in reality, that would send the show into cancellation faster than you could "journey".
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I agree with your points on how Mer/IAN and Jen/Andrew were not failures.The point is to find love..and they did. Life got in the way,that's all.

I for one want to see the relationship unfold and don't want wasted time on pretend suspense. Also I think Jen,or whoever should have more say in what happens,which dates she goes on with who, how many guys stay or go home etc.It think she may have sent fabrice,Keith and Josh home, maybe even earlier then they did go.

the format change I would like to see end is the preview/review waste of time each segment. We see about 3 minutes of the date and 2 minutes preview each segment. We are watching,we don't need "coming up..." "next up.."
    "previously on the bachelorette....."

they got rid of the chat between Jen and Chris before the rose ceremony ,and the videos, that was good atleast keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan133
    the format change I would like to see end is the preview/review waste of time each segment. We see about 3 minutes of the date and 2 minutes preview each segment. We are watching,we don't need "coming up..." "next up.."
    I agree with you jordan! Don't they know that us true fans tape or Tivo every episode so we can watch it over & over, looking for clues... We really don't need to be reminded of what already happened - we've seen it over & over again! Give us more meat - less filling!!

In the ratings, The Bachelorette was #56 last week. That makes it the lowest rated episode of any in the 9 series. Generally, the top three networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) will definately renew any series in the top 40, probably renew a series in the top 50, but don't usually renew a series below that. So right now, the Bachelor/ette franchise is in mortal danger.

I think they toyed with the concept too much. Treating it as a game show. And worst of all "stunt casting". They don't look for attractive, personable people who want to get married or even have a long term relationship, to be on this show. Instead they "cast" characters. They're more interested in engineering a story, than in telling one. Contrived drama is more important than romance.

They had their chance to show a number of love stories. Bob didn't find what he was loooking for, Jesse wasn't even looking, and Meredian was butchered, so that a casual viewer couldn't see a shread of what was there. The casual viewer gave up.

The biggest fault of this show is Fleiss & Co. They're the ones who gave us "Who wants to marry a millionaire". Why do we expect better from them?

I'm afraid this show is doomed. I'll miss my favorite mystery show.

Zinnia...totally agree with what you said above. They have edited this show to death!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan133
    I agree with your points on how Mer/IAN and Jen/Andrew were not failures.The point is to find love..and they did. Life got in the way,that's all.

I agree. They do that on ET, Extra, Insider, etc too and the funny thing there is that the actual spots are only seconds longer than the coming up next clip! ARG.

I bet this is the final show. I do not expect to see another one. They missed the opportunity to revamp the format when the ratings first started to sag. And went blindly ahead with Bob knowing he had already found love. Bad decision. Why not let Aaron say he did not find love? They pushed for the romantic end when it was not there. They failed.

His Peace after the Storm cafegirl's Avatar
    Some great points by all, I agree that this show is doomed "as we know it" unless some miracle takes place! Fleiss and Co. were banking on a 'popular' former contestant having enough fan base to draw in good ratings and hopefully the media coverage, i.e. interviews and mag. stories about Jen would attract those casual observers of the series. I've stated this before (and I by no means want to cause an uproar among-st Jen fans (I consider myself one!), but Jen is not cut out for this leading role that she's been thrown into. She made the choice (no matter whether it was extreme coaxing or enticement of $$ or just a desire for love) to be the star of this show. I just don't think she had any idea it how hard it would be "on the other side of the rose pedestal. It was stated somewhere that Andrew told her he didn't think she could handle it (and I think he meant having to play the role of bachelorette to 25 guys and feign interest in more than one guy at a time). I think he was being insightful into Jen's personality and the fact that she has a hard time ending relationships (she said this).
    I say all this to explain why this show was so pivotal for the future of the franchise. I believe ABC is more convinced that the don't have to have a reality dating show to help carry their network. Reality wise they have the popular Extreme Makeover series (all of them) and the Wife Swap show and now the Nanny show which seem to be doing pretty well. Not to mention the very popular new series ABC has this year. If this series is to continue, then sadly enough Jen has a huge burden on her shoulders (along with the producers) to bring in a winning series, in the aspect of Jen finding a man and having the happy ending. The man(men) also has(have) to be able to help generate ratings... Aside from the loyal fan base on the various Internet forums, I don't think this show is generating that kind of interest.
    Fleiss and Co. is really to blame, as several of you have pointed out, because they are the ones who choose the star of the show and the contestants.. and they are the ones who manipulate what we see and what story lines are front and center.
    So one last question is, if Fleiss has given the viewers basically what they want which is showing a love story (and we all pretty much know who that is, but this is not a spoiler thread, so no names mentioned), but still the ratings are down. What gives?? The lead characters on the men's side have generated a large fan base but still a ratings bomb is about to happen.. Why? I have to go back to my original thought for this series and that is Jen. She's beautiful (in my opinion) and sweet and genuinely seems to want to find a man, but she's not an actress and even though this is 'reality' TV, it definitely is needed to have some acting skills to carry on the "mystery' or attractions between her and the guys. Even if Meredith and Trista had picked their guys early on, they fooled many by who else they showed interest in. That provided for 'good' TV ratings........ JMO..
    "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

FORT Regular
    Zinnia, great post. I totally agree!

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    If this series is to have any future, they have to get off this ridiculous cheesefest they've been on for the last four seasons or so. They need to get off of their focus on "the process" of reality tv. I mean...Their current approach is simply casting aspiring actors and fame ho's who sport the requisite hair products and cosmetic dentistry and who know how to use the series catchphrases (e.g., "I really felt a connection" and "I'm ready to begin the journey" and at the appropriate moment, "I think I'm falling in love").

Their formerly successful approach on the other hand was no more complicated than casting interesting REAL personalities who were ACTUALLY looking for a date.

And THAT actually made for interesting TV. I miss it.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast