+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Future of this Television "Series"

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    and I should add that I think most of us knew that most of these couples were gonna make it since day one of Alex Michel's show...but most of them up until Trista and Ryan at least seemed to have half a chance of being normal people actually trying to have a real relationship. After that, pffft. A convincing argument can be made that at least one of the couple thereafter was always severely lacking in genuine intentions.
    Perfection is just fine by me!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    ...Their current approach is simply casting aspiring actors and fame ho's who sport the requisite hair products and cosmetic dentistry and who know how to use the series catchphrases (e.g., "I really felt a connection" and "I'm ready to begin the journey" and at the appropriate moment, "I think I'm falling in love").
    Ah, but Charlie - we want to see "pretty" people on our TVs... Look what happens when they show us "real" people... we get the kind of people who go on "Wife Swap"... s~c~a~r~y...!

I agree with charlie9, but must make an exception for Byron and Mary - I thought that although they were requisite *pretty* people, they were also pretty real. I'll even go so far to say that I think that the Byron/Mary Bachelor was so successful, it makes this one look even more like the aforementioned cheesefest.

Makes me long for the sleazy affairs of the Paradise Hotel cast. In fact, I'd rather watch Wife Swap...if you have no expectations you can't be disappointed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    During Byron/Mary there were a couple of great threads here with suggestions on how to improve the show. It is really too bad that Fleiss & Co didn't take heed. There were some very interesting (and yes, amusing) ideas. Both concerning how to make the show better as well as improve the success rate (survival rate?) for the actual couples.

I have posted before that a local girl (very small town!) has been interviewed fairly recently to be on a future Bachelor. That doesn't mean that the show will acutally go on.

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    and I should add that I think most of us knew that most of these couples were gonna make it since day one of Alex Michel's show...but most of them up until Trista and Ryan at least seemed to have half a chance of being normal people actually trying to have a real relationship. After that, pffft. A convincing argument can be made that at least one of the couple thereafter was always severely lacking in genuine intentions.
    I agree. The article on Mer & Ian's breakup seemed to focus on Ian not being able to commit to marriage, and that marriage and children just wasn't who he is. If that's so, then why was he on the show?

Byron & Mary - they were both ready to find a mate and settle down.
    The suggestions we had during their show for improving the series, the producers wouldn't have had time to incorporate them into Jen's show since it was filming while Bryron/Mary was being aired.

I imagine if there is another Bachelor - there will be major changes to keep it alive. Maybe they will use some of our suggestions. Who knows if it will be for the better. The one thing they really need for success - are people who are mature enough to be ready to settle down, and humble enough to sacrifice for the one they love. The only couple willing to do that so far is Trista & Ryan - and possibly Byron & Mary (since he moved to Tampa). Jen & Andrew didn't make it because it sounded like Jen was the only one willing to sacrifice for the other. It has to be mutual.

One more time for those who can't seem to understand a simple request.

DO NOT TALK ABOUT SPOILERS IN THREADS THAT AREN'T MARKED.

I think, on a more fundamental level, the series is over because everyone (the audience, the contestants, Jen) seems to comfortable with the format. Fabrice's speech was Puck-like; it was coming from someone who was too aware of the Camera. And Jen's defense of why she's here feels too self-conscious. I think that the producers know that the show is aging poorly, and have tried to revive it with contests (e.g. The run to the ESB). But instead of freshening things, these events only make the show seem more frenetic and little more lost.

I have watched every season of this show since the very beginning and I feel the same as most of you. At first I just couldn't figure out what was different and why the show didn't seem the same. But I do believe they messed up when they started changing everything little by little each season. I personally like seeing Chris and the build up when he talks to the bachelor or bacherlotte before the rose ceremony. Then they would play that corny music while they glare at the pictures. I for one liked that part. It gave the show some suspense and you couldn't wait until after the next commercial break. I am sick to death of the so called "real" people who are looking to find true love. I think alot of them just want a shot on TV. I will miss this show when it ends but I do see it leaving some time soon......... To bad they messed with success in the first place.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    We had a huge thread on this last time , or was it just continued from Jesse . I forget.

I have to say I hate the fact they returned to the traditional format. I loved Byrons season with him ensuite. I loved all the other changes they made as well with that season. It made the show interesting again. This has been stiff, dull , and boring and it reminded me of what made it awful.

NY was a nice change, but if they had have planted this crew in the middle of no where with Jen in the pool house it would have rocked. I still say they should do the hidden camera trick a la FLOM. She has to make her mind up with just a few snippits of time.

FORT Regular
    For me, Jesse and Byron's season were the worst (after this one.) I really detected the fameho-ness in those 3 seasons, so if that's the way it's going, and even more so, I won't waste my time watching anymore. Even if they promise interesting changes for next time, I probably won't watch. This season seared a negative attitude into me about the producers in general. I really see them as these sleazy, say-what-people-want-to-hear-and-then-stab-them-in-the-back kind of people. JMO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast