+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Josh

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    The fact that Josh has not moved into a ministry position, but is a professonal marathoner, tells me that he is choosing to be in the secular world. In conservative speak, this makes him a warrior (battling the evil "out there"). That requires alot of self-confidence and faith on his part, which can, if not watched, move into ego. Being Christian, also doesn't preclude talking about sex, even w/o the experience. Take a look at the book "Song of Songs" in the Bible, you will be surprised.

FORT Fan
    I was on the jokersupdate.com and on Josh's website he wrote a nice letter about being on the show, explaining what he meant about "warrior", and a letter to his future wife.

i thought josh looked good when he had his hair unparted...he was doing a confessional i think...he looked gooddd
    You've been very very nauuughty

In the mountains waiting for the snow to arrive

Runner' World Article

Here is an interview of Josh from runnersworld.com
    (I hope I did this right)

Josh Cox
    by Amby Burfoot
    Tonight marathoner Josh Cox appears in the third installment of ABC-TV's hit reality TV show, "The Bachelorette 3." The show began two weeks ago with 25 bachelors vying for Jen Schefft's attention, and now only 8 are left, including Cox, a 29-year-old, 2:13 marathoner from Murietta CA. Cox first gained national attention in 2000 when he ran 2:13:54 at the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon. He was 7th a year ago in the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials, and 18th in the 2000 Trials. Cox's brothers and sisters have long called him "Hollywood" for his obvious charisma, but he is also known for his discipline, faith, and candor, all of which are clearly revealed in his comments below.

Runner's World: I know there are limits to what you can discuss, concerning The Bachelorette. What can you talk about and not talk about?
    Josh Cox: I can talk about anything that's happened on shows that have already aired, but I can't discuss anything that's going to happen. I signed a $5 million confidentiality contract. The producers know that the tabloids are willing to pay to get information, so the price of the contract is pretty steep.

RWD: How did you get involved in the show?
    JC: Apparently someone--I don't know who--nominated me for one of The Bachelor shows. I started getting emails from the producers, asking me if I was interested. This was about a year ago, just before the Olympic Marathon Trials in Birmingham, so I didn't want to get involved with anything that would distract me from the Trials, which were a very big focus for me. After the Trials, they kind of persisted. I kept on getting emails from them. I didn't know the shows that well, but I told my sisters about them, and they got pretty excited. One of my sisters helped me put together a 5-minute video explaining who I was. After the producers saw the video, they invited me down to Los Angeles for what they said would be a 30-minute interview. It lasted two hours. I met all the producers, and had a really good feeling about everyone. But it turned out The Bachelor show decided on a different direction, and they told me the thing was off, and I figured that was the end of it.

Then in the summer when I was training at Mammoth, out of the blue I got a call from the producers again, and this time they asked me if I wanted to be one of 25 bachelors on a different show with Jen Schefft. I said, "Twenty-five? I don't know. That sounds like quite a different deal." To tell the truth, I wasn't very enthusiastic. But I talked it over with my brothers and sisters, and they thought I should do it, so I called the producers and said, "Yes." The rest is history.

RWD: When did you tape the shows, and were you able to do your regular training?
    JC: We started in October just after I got back from the World Half Marathon in India [where he finished 47th; 1:08:38; second American]. The training was part of the agreement I made with the producers before accepting the show. I said I'd really like to do twice-a-days, but they absolutely had to give me 60 to 90 minutes a day for one good workout. They laughed, but they said okay. It worked out fine. Most of the time we were taping, I got in 80 or 90 miles a week, just about all in singles. They'd wake me up early and bring me a cup of coffee, and off I'd go. We worked with each other. They said, "If you answer the door with your shirt off, that will make us happy, and we'll make you happy." It was busy though. We were on the go a lot, either taping dates, or taping material back at the house. The morning of the first Rose Ceremony, we didn't finish until about 6 a.m. The sun was coming up.

RWD: What was it like living together with all the other bachelors?
    JC: It was like being in a dorm again, only this was a double brownstone in lower Manhattan that someone said was worth $22 million. But it only had three bedrooms, so we were doubling up in the bedrooms, and sleeping around the house. It was hard going to sleep until everyone was ready to sleep. The guys were all great though. We got along really well, and I definitely made some lifelong friends. What you see on TV is just a glimpse of what everyone is really like.

RWD: Last week it didn't look like you were getting along so well with Fabrice.
    JC: Yeah...what can I say? That guy just got under my skin. I don't have any problem with anyone stating their opinions. I respect everyone's opinions. I respect everyone's differences. But you gotta back your stuff up. He was talking about all his relationships, he was talking about all this other stuff. And the rest of us guys were all, "Sure...great. You're really cool, dude." He's just such a such a Frenchman.

RWD: What's Jen like, and does she actually run? In the intro to the first show, they showed her running on the Chicago lakefront.
    JC: You know, it's funny. In a lot of ways, we all got to know each other better than we got to know Jen. I mean, we spent more time with each other than we did with her. But she's definitely a great girl. She's very down to earth. She's not all caught up in herself, not even after all the fame of The Bachelor. I think she was very, very brave to put herself back out there on national TV again. That took a lot of courage. And, yes, she runs some. We talked about that a little.

RWD: I know you've got several sponsors. Did you try to sneak them onto the show for a little primetime exposure?
    JC: I definitely thought about it. I was trying to get their logos out there. But the producers were pretty much on top of things. They kept things in check. They didn't want us turning the show into a billboard. We could wear our regular stuff, and I always wore my regular sponsor clothes and caps and things, but the producers would put black tape over anything they thought was too obtrusive.

RWD: What's been your biggest thrill in running, and how does The Bachelorette compare to it?
    JC: That's a tough one. I've had a lot of thrills in running. Of course, it was a thrill to run 2:13 in Chicago in 2000, because that was such a big breakthrough for me. It was also a thrill to finish seventh in the Olympic Marathon Trials last February, because no one was talking about me, and I had a foot injury most of the year before, so I could barely do any speedwork. The Trials were also one of my biggest disappointments, because I wanted to make the Olympic Team so badly. Another big thrill, when I was in college, was to win a 50-mile trail race.

The show is totally different. I'm a very competitive guy. I want to win at anything I try, and when I started on the show, that was the approach I took. I figured: This is a competition, and I want to win. But then you take a step back, and you realize, this isn't a race here. This is real life. This is real people, real feelings, real emotion, real heart. It's about a possible match, for life, between two people. I've dated lots of great girls in the past, some awesome girls. But none of them was my special girl.

In the end, that's why I did the show. I was a little skeptical. I didn't expect that Jen would turn out to be my soulmate. But I didn't know, and I had to find out. That's why I did the show--to see if Jen is the one for me.

RWD: You're very candid on the show about your faith and about being a virgin at age 29. How do people react to that.
    JC: Well, they react a lot, that's for sure. I've been getting deluged with email on my Web site (www.joshcox.com), and that's probably the most frequent topic of discussion. Here's how I'll put it, in perfect honesty. I have three older sisters, and when I was younger, I saw the pain and hurt that they experienced when boyfriends didn't work out. I heard them crying, and heard them saying, "He said he loved me and wanted to marry me, and now ...." That stuff has an impact on you. It made me think, I never want to be one of those guys.

It's been a very difficult thing. We all train hard and do things as marathoners that require a lot of discipline, but I can tell you that this has been harder than a bunch of 180-mile training weeks. I'm a very affectionate guy, a very physical guy. But I want to wait for the woman who's going to be my wife. I know it will be totally worth it then.

RWD: If you last another week or two on the show, you're going to become America's most famous marathoner, more so than Meb and Deena, probably. What do you think about that? Would you rather run a 2:09 or win the show?
    JC: It's starting to get crazy, that's for sure. The other night I was out shopping, and this group of girls started following me up one of the aisles. I turned to them and said, "Girls, I'm just looking for some cereal." I guess the face of someone on primetime is different than the face of someone in a marathon expo.

Also, I'm not your typical guy going into the office every day. My office is out on the streets, running. People see me out there on a 15-mile training run now, and all of a sudden there are a lot of waves, a lot of honking horns. It seems like everyone knows me all of a sudden. It's absolutely insane.

Sure, on the one hand, I'd rather run 2:09 than win the show. That would be very, very sweet--a 2:09. That would be something I have been working toward for a long time. On the other hand, how do you measure that against finding the love of your life?

RWD: How would you summarize your time on the show?
    JC: It has been the experience of a lifetime. It was absolutely worth the chance and the risk.

RWD: What risk?
    JC: The risk of putting yourself out there in the public eye for everyone to see. This isn't just training for a race. That's a private thing. This puts you out in a place that allows people to be critical if they want. It allows people to see you as the person you really are. I'm fine with that. In fact, I welcome that.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/dail...-0,00.html#cox

egad

Oh God, this guy bothered me. I was so happy when he finally was cut.

I'm not sure why I dislike him so. Maybe its because of his many asinine statements such as "I was given a warrior's heart"...whatever the hell that means. He was also given a very large ego...and whenever a man has a very large ego, it's always because he has another part of him that's very small. The other comment, "A woman wants a warrior and a lover, not a best friend." also got on my nerve. God, is this like 1940s? In my book, my boyfriend better be my best friend or why am I with him in the first place?

Oh, and maybe the other reason I don't like him is because all he did was talk about running and being a pro marathon and being a warrior when he talked to Jen. That was probably one of the only times I felt sorry for her because she couldn't get a word in edge-wise, he was always talking about himself and running and he never seemed to have a conversation with her, rather he just talked at her.

And also (forgot) it might be him being a virgin, especially at the age 28. Now don't hate my comments, but something is smelly when someone is almost 30 and still never had sex. That either tells me they have issues with sex (its dirty, etc) or that they are very hard to be with, thus they never make it past one or two dates.

I'm not sure about the rest of the ladies, but I don't want an unexperienced virgin as a husband. Not for selfish reasons on my part. I think that a man who marries as a virgin or who marries the first woman he gets seriously involved w/sexually shouldn't get married. I am a feminist, but I will say that when it comes to sex, men need to be experienced for their own sake. Because "Josh" may not be aware of it now, but in 10-15 years, he is going to start to wonder about having sex with other people, and thus he may resent himself but act out on his wife, etc. Because men have testosterone, a sex hormone (women have it only in smaller amounts), they tend to have stronger desires for sex. So if that desire isn't met, its repressed and men who repress their sexual desires become frustrated at an older age. "Josh" should get it over with and enjoy his sexuality, not repress it, because then, once he is married, he will 110% know that the woman he is with, is the woman that satifies him on all levels, and he will be less likely to have the doubt of wondering "what it would have been"

I'm not saying turn him into a whore. Just someone who is comfortable with their bodies and with expressing their sexuality.

Back to my original point...as a virgin, how could he know what any woman would want? Honestly, he has no clue. To say that sex is not important in a serious relationship is delusional. We aren't 15 year olds anymore. Sex is okay and it should be part of a healthy relationship.
    Last edited by Ownlyanangel20; 01-28-2005 at 08:23 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

One more thing...I read the Running interview and it only further proves my claim that he is way into himself...to much ego, not enough substance.

And his last name is Perfect for a virgin: Cox....lol love it. Gaydar is on and detecting a strong presence of a Cox

Quote Originally Posted by UOrealityfan
    Here is an interview of Josh from runnersworld.com
    (I hope I did this right)

The show is totally different. I'm a very competitive guy. I want to win at anything I try, and when I started on the show, that was the approach I took. I figured: This is a competition, and I want to win. But then you take a step back, and you realize, this isn't a race here. This is real life. This is real people, real feelings, real emotion, real heart. It's about a possible match, for life, between two people.

RWD: You're very candid on the show about your faith and about being a virgin at age 29. How do people react to that.
    JC: Well, they react a lot, that's for sure. I've been getting deluged with email on my Web site (www.joshcox.com), and that's probably the most frequent topic of discussion. Here's how I'll put it, in perfect honesty. I have three older sisters, and when I was younger, I saw the pain and hurt that they experienced when boyfriends didn't work out. I heard them crying, and heard them saying, "He said he loved me and wanted to marry me, and now ...." That stuff has an impact on you. It made me think, I never want to be one of those guys.
    I actually like him more after reading this. The interview was about him, after all, so I don't see inappropriate self-absorption. I admire someone willing to wait for the forever person, so they can give themselves completely. I wish I had done that!
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    I actually like him more after reading this.
    I like him better after reading this also. Sure he sets himself up to some high standards, but he also strives to achieve them! That's a lot more discipline than a lot of people have.
    Teenagers make you crazy!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    I also like him better after reading this. Nothing wrong with waiting till your married even though society tells us otherwise. If both parties share the same belief and faith, things will happen the way they're supposed to. This just shows the strength of his faith and discipline. Not everyone can stick to their guns and stand up for what they believe.

FORT Newbie

Josh is a great guy who got an unfair shake on TV

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange
    I also like him better after reading this. Nothing wrong with waiting till your married even though society tells us otherwise. If both parties share the same belief and faith, things will happen the way they're supposed to. This just shows the strength of his faith and discipline. Not everyone can stick to their guns and stand up for what they believe.
    I just had to delurk on this one. I couldn't agree more with the above - I know Josh a little bit from the marathon world, and I know the gentleman who did the interview with him for Runner's World very well - they are both excellent, decent people. Josh got an unbelievably bad edit on this show - anyone who thinks otherwise needs to meet him at his next race and talk to him yourself, which I'm sure he would happily do because he's also a great ambassador for the sport. He's a person of honor. If I lived in Murrietta I'd go after him myself. I'm curious why so many people are on the Jason train and yet put Josh down - remember how Jason said in the second episode that Josh had a heart of gold? It's no accident those two became friends. I'd be honored to date a man who was saving himself for the love of his life.

Just my $0.02, but I had to say something. End of rant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast