+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary

eny
    FORT Fogey

Mary

Mary, Florida
    Notes - Wanted to have babies with Bob in Season 4. He said "No" so now she is hoping for babies with Byron
    Last edited by eny; 10-28-2004 at 11:11 PM.

FORT Newbie

Mary

OK. Sorry. Have to start this thread. Seeing all of the pro Mary posts I have to say, I really don't see it. I like Mary. I think she's a great person from what I've seen. But she's on the "I want to get married" train. I really don't think she cares that Byron is Byron. She wants a man. She wants to get married. She wants kids. And she wants it with the first man she finds that says "OK." Yes, Byron has stated that he's looking for his "soul mate" and he's said that he's attracted to Mary...blah, blah, blah. But he wants L*O*V*E. Mary has an agenda. A ticking clock syndrome. She's playing the part extremely well and is getting his attention. If he ends up picking her, I really don't see it lasting. I really, really hope that a) they fall in love or b) he falls in love with someone else who loves him back. I think he truly fell for Jayne, but her psycho-ness was a huge disappointment for him. Now he has to take a look at the other women and make a second choice. Mary, in my opinion, is playing him.

FORT Fogey
    I see it differently. I did not like Mary right out of the gate and shared some of your opinions at first. On a second look I realized that she is being honest. She wants to get married and start a family. Reasonable goal and honest to put that on the table. The stories about women who lure men and then get pregnant abound.

Byron is there for the same reasons. I believe that is true based on his interviews and behavior.

She is looking for love. I do not ascribe to the notion that she just wants any man for the sake of marrying. She wants what her parents have. She is/was actively looking to fall in love with a man who shares her goals so her desires could be fulfilled. This is different than looking for a man to marry her.

She is smart and self sufficient. She owns her own business, wants a partner in life and a family. This all sounds reasonable to me.

I see her as genuine and mature.

If Mary wanted to just "get married" she would have gotten married. She's attractive, successful and no doubt could find a guy. So she's picky? If we were all more picky I think we would have a far lower divorce rate.

Gooooo, Mary!

I loved Mary beginning with the Blob show. She really fell for him, and, I think it was because as she told Byron, "he said all the things I wanted to hear". Watching the show we all knew Blob was a slimeball, but the ladies didn't see what we did when they were in the situation, so I don't think Mary realized his true nature. Blob could be very charming. I also think Blob hit 3 for 3 on the fantasy dates and after Mary was let go, she was humiliated by that. I understood her "Blob flashback" at the pajama party. She'd been in the same situation with Blob and the memories of her ultimate dismissal were too much. It didn't strike me as manipulative in the least when she wanted out of that situation. She told Byron, "I can fall for you but not like this". That was complete honesty, not manipulation. I've always thought she was a class act. If she and Byron do get together, I hope it's true love for both and a long and happy life together.

FORT Newbie
    You know, part of what makes it all so unrealistic--the women *never* refuse the guy. I've been an avid Bachelor and Bachelorette watcher from the beginning (though didn't see the first Bachelor show), and if it were really honest, there'd be women that refused the rose. Yes, there was one of them that backed out on Jesse (I think, right?) before the rose ceremony. And I think I remember another woman refusing a rose. But seriously, think about it. In life, if a good looking, successful guy shows interest in you women out there, do you immediately fall head over heels? I know I surely don't. There's so much more to compatibility and attraction and love than that. So here's this show that makes us believe that every woman is infatuated with "The Bachelor." Is that all contrived? Is that what they're told to do? This is why I doubt Mary's honest interest and maybe why none of the relationships from past bachelor shows have lasted. The show has the goal of creating a successful love story. If one doesn't develop, they're forced to manufacture it. Not that love can't happen--as with Trista and Ryan and Meredith and Ian. I've become a skeptic and really don't trust the emotional aspect of these shows til they're over and done with and time tests the relationship. We all want to believe in love and we all love seeing it happen in front of our eyes and we want to believe that we're watching real love happen, but the past track record shows that most of these relationships didn't work. The bachelor seems to have the advantage cause he has 25 women to choose from. But the women don't have that choice (except this season's show when they had the great privilege-ha-of being able to choose between TWO). Sorry for being cynical. I loved watching Trista and Ryan and was thrilled that she chose him. Mary, on the other hand, dropped into the show in the middle, and suddenly, she's convinced Byron's the one for her? That's why I don't buy it.

See this is what makes this site fun - we can all share our very differing opinions and sometimes change our own when we see things with other's eyes.

I don't think Mary is yet "in love" with Byron at the stage we are seeing. Byron seems more smitten with her than she with him. I think she is attracted but not so quick to dive in the deep end with so much competition for his affection. I think that is how all of the remaining girls feel at this point, especially now that Crazy Jane and Weird Andrea have left. I also think this is why they've been given more alone time with him instead of home visits.

FORT Fogey
    People often fall in love very quickly in real life. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That is just the nature of the beast.

Let's leave Bob out of this for now. He was already in love when the show started, something neither he or the producers anticipated. (proving my previous point) He was under contract to proceed and the show was lousy. Big mistake.

Aaron and Jesse were under contract to choose someone, again mistake. They should have been allowed to walk.

There have been some love matches and others who did not find love. That is also reflected in real life. I would prefer production would not encourage the fake ending and maybe they have changed their tune now that Byron was told, propose or walk.

As far as the women staying and waiting to be eliminated rather than walking, so what? I bet they not only have fun but are fascinated to be a part of a TV show. They get a first hand behind the scenes look at how the show is produced. I would find that entertaining, as well. They probably have fun with some of the women and lead a pretty nifty lifestyle while there. Why walk out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    As far as the women staying and waiting to be eliminated rather than walking, so what? I bet they not only have fun but are fascinated to be a part of a TV show. They get a first hand behind the scenes look at how the show is produced. I would find that entertaining, as well. They probably have fun with some of the women and lead a pretty nifty lifestyle while there. Why walk out?
    Very good evaluation of why they are staying. And that really goes for these gals because the ones remaining seem to enjoy each other as friends. We could see this in how they all contributed to getting Mary ready for her date.

I liked Mary on the Bob show, even though she was way too mature for him.

Didn't see her fitting with Byron till last night, they just sparkled! They certainly make a handsome couple. They seem to be genuinely falling for each other.

She is up front and knows what she wants, good for her, hope she gets it.
    ITA if she wanted to get married she could've found someone and settled after being on the last show. I bet she got many phone calls, LOL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast