+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    People often fall in love very quickly in real life. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That is just the nature of the beast.

Let's leave Bob out of this for now. He was already in love when the show started, something neither he or the producers anticipated. (proving my previous point) He was under contract to proceed and the show was lousy. Big mistake.

Aaron and Jesse were under contract to choose someone, again mistake. They should have been allowed to walk.

There have been some love matches and others who did not find love. That is also reflected in real life. I would prefer production would not encourage the fake ending and maybe they have changed their tune now that Byron was told, propose or walk.

As far as the women staying and waiting to be eliminated rather than walking, so what? I bet they not only have fun but are fascinated to be a part of a TV show. They get a first hand behind the scenes look at how the show is produced. I would find that entertaining, as well. They probably have fun with some of the women and lead a pretty nifty lifestyle while there. Why walk out?
    Hi Dogbat! Yes...totally cool to just hang out, make friends, and enjoy the experience (in fact, that's what I'd do if I were having fun), but feign interest and love? Isn't the point of the show to find love? Or then again, maybe it's not. Which goes back to my point that it's really a sham in that sense. If they don't want to leave the show, then the women have to show interest if they want to stay--even if it's fake interest--otherwise they'd get eliminated. As you say, people fall in love very quickly in real life...though 25 women all at once with the same man??? Agreed on your comments about the fakeness of the show. If it were less about getting to a proposal (and most probably fake if it's forced...unless the lucky couple actually do fall in love), and more about the chance to find love--sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't--then perhaps the show wouldn't be as popular.

Might be more interesting to see an equal number of men and women thrown together instead of one guy and 25 women, or 1 woman and 25 men...

FORT Fogey
    I am not sure anyone feins love. I think they date him as see if the sparks fly. You can be interested in someone and want to explore the possiblity and that is legitimate. Having said some people can fall in love quickly, the key word is some. Sometimes it takes awhile and all are open to the possiblity of life taking a right hand turn.

I dont doubt that there are some who get on the show just because they want to be on TV or think it a hoot. Feining love just doesnt work. The energy has to be there so that aspect does not bother me. I doubt and Bachelor would fall for someone faking attraction. It is there or not. You just know.

I think the show could be interesting if we knew the bach could possibly walk at the end. Most people who watch this show are hooked on the genre of reality TV and will watch most anything!

Personally, I have a gun to my head.

At one level, I agree with krnszn (gotta love vowel-less usernames) although I think the same issue applies to every woman (or man, in B-ette seasons) who comes on this show. They all get a shot at one man--whoever the producers decide will be good-for-TV (granted, there were two this time, but many of the women didn't even get their choice). From the perspective of any given woman, she is on this show to be chosen and, presumably, to marry "the guy." There have been a few outright rejections over the seasons, but most women decide the B wasn't the right one only after being rejected themselves.

A discussion of reasons why anyone puts herself in this position raises the much more general issue of why people marry. There is the romantic ideal of finding a soulmate, and then there is the more practical ideal of finding someone who is compatible on core issues, building on those strengths, and making sure smaller differences aren't magnified beyond their importance. Because women clearly don't go on the B to meet a soulmate that ABC just happened to pick for them, I'd say Mary's attitude is realistic. She seems more sensible than Andrea, for example, in knowing that love grows over time and involves hard work, not just a good first or second date. I think it is reasonable, and not totally unromantic, to have marriage be a current goal in life and then to see if the people you meet are compatible with that goal.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Somewhere between La La Land and Sin City
    You've also got to remember the intenseness of the situation. No TV, no radio, no newspapers, phones or outside contact. In that environment, emotions run rampant. It would be so easy to fall in love... especially if that was your original intention when starting the show. For the entire time the girls are in the house and on dates, the bachelor is their primary preoccupation.

Having been in a similar situation, I spent every night for three months rehearsing a play with my now-husband. In that type of environment, when all you have to do is talk and really get to know each other, emotions can develop quite quickly... faster for some than others.

I saw sparks last night between Byron and Mary. Just look at the way they kissed. How she held his face and how they hugged at the RC. Looks like love... at least for now... to me.

I dont feel Mary is playing Byron at all..like many have already said, she could have her pick of men because she's so beautiful. I just see her as a woman who is selective (as she has a right to be), and if Byron is the guy who rocks her world, then I say they make the cutest Bachelor couple ever.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Newbie
    I think Byron has been head over heels in love with Mary since he first set eyes on her!
    The way he looked at her when she came off the elevator, the way he was looking at her when they first sat down. He pretty much ignored Heather!
    And their first conversation he said
    I can't believe(or understand, I forget which word he used) why YOU are not married.
    (read as "I can't believe that anyone as beautiful and wonderful as you is not married!)
    At the slumber party, he looked panicked when she seemed unhappy, and just had to stop right then and take her outside and question her, I thought he was going to lose it when she talked about leaving! He spent all that time with her to make sure she didn't leave!
    At there last date he just smiled all the time he was looking at her, hell, he looked struck dumb when she walked down the stairs! LOL
    The way he looks at her, the way he kisses her(he only gives pecks to the others)
    And when he said she seemed too good to be true
    (read as Am I really this lucky? Can she really feel the same way? I am afraid to believe it!)
    Look at the spoiler screen caps for next week.
    Look at the way he is smiling at her!
    Oh, yeah, it's Mary!
    And I think he might have whispered something in her ear that we didn't see, because she doesn't seem a bit nervous or uncertain. I think he has already told her she is the one!
    And I think the other women know it and are ok with it and happy for her.
    They seemed so pleased for her when he sent her the dress and shoes. And they helped her get ready and were excited for her. Yeah, they know it is over and are just playing out the rest of the game.
    JMO but, I think I am right!
    Last edited by JasmineThePup; 10-28-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine
    Oh, yeah, it's Mary!
    Agreed! I see it the same way, and I am happy for her!

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    I think it's easier for love to develop when the bachelor is living with the girls. They have more time together and get to see each other in the morning without their coffee and makeup, not just on a tightly scripted date. This move is a big plus and maybe the reason Mary agreed to come back to the show - a chance to really get to know the guy. I have been rooting for her from the first time I saw her come back. I pray it works for her. All in all, the changes this season have been good.

FORT Newbie
    This is much too entertaining. There are so many, "it's definitely Mary!" comments on this site that I can't believe everyone's falling for it. For the rest of you who have watched the other Bachelor and Bachelorette shows, you should know by now that they intentionally lead the audience to believe it's one person, and then it turns out to be someone totally unexpected. I do have to say that Helene was a given...it was so obvious that Aaron was going to pick her. So perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but remember EDITING! Think outside the box and don't forget that they're leading us up to..."THE MOST SHOCKING BACHELOR FINALE EVER!!!" Ha ha ha!!! Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by krnszn
    For the rest of you who have watched the other Bachelor and Bachelorette shows, you should know by now that they intentionally lead the audience to believe it's one person, and then it turns out to be someone totally unexpected.
    Which is why they are doing it differently this time. They are going to flaunt it, and they think that we won't believe our eyes. Not so, I say!

It is Mary- see ya FR nite!

+ Reply to Thread