+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article on Jessica from the OC Register

EZD

Article on Jessica from the OC Register

ONE LAST ROSE: Huntington Beach’s Jessica Bowlin may win the final rose from Jesse Palmer on ABC’s “The Bachelor.”
    ANDY TEMPLETON, FOR THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By KATHERINE NGUYEN
    The Orange County Register

The National Enquirer says she won.

The online message boards are teeming with similar predictions.

The speculation ends tonight, when more than 13 million viewers are expected to tune into ABC's reality show "The Bachelor" to find out if 22-year-old Huntington Beach native Jessica Bowlin snagged the final rose - and a marriage proposal - from handsome Jesse Palmer, a 25-year old backup quarterback for the New York Giants.

One thing's for sure: Bowlin's still playing coy. "C'mon, I don't trust magazines that claim to have pictures of Bigfoot in it," she teased.

Still, it should be noted that the tabloid hasn't erred in its last few "Bachelor" picks.

Since April, viewers have watched Bowlin and 24 other women vie for Palmer in what's been called the cattiest and most contrived installment to date. The show finished taping in March.

A few new twists on the show - including a spy who dished on the other women to Palmer and the dramatic antics of bad girl Trish Schneider - made for much juicier water-cooler fodder.

BACHELORETTES
    JESSICA BOWLIN
    • Residence: Huntington Beach
    • People say she looks like: Jessica Simpson
    • Why she will win: Bachelor Jesse Palmer said the more he spends time with her, the more he likes her.
    • Why she won't win: That she's in her first year of law school might have Palmer questioning whether she's ready for marriage.

TARA HUCKEBY
    • Residence: Shawnee, Okla.
    • People say she looks like: Britney Spears
    • Why she will win: Palmer admitted to her first that he was falling in love with her.
    • Why she won't win: She has had a hard time opening up, and her dad might have scared off Palmer with his shotgun-loving ways.

The press has been eager to focus on Schneider, a saucy brunette whose claims of sleeping with 35 men (and women), disliking messy children and being a gold-digger earned her the title of "the most-hated woman in the history of the show."

Palmer got dinged for his jock status, thanks to cameras limiting his vocabulary to "amazing" and "absolutely."

Bowlin, a first-year law school student and graduate of Santa Ana's Mater Dei High School, said she was disappointed with how producers manipulated the show to make for more melodramatic TV.

"I didn't sign up to be on 'The Trish Show,' and it really took away from the point of the show," she said.

"It never showed the romance developing, because people did fall in love on the show but no one can see that because the producers chose to highlight everything but," she said. "And that's too bad, because in the end when the couple gets together, people aren't going to buy it."

Bowlin has taken a slight beating on the fan boards. People have picked apart her hair and makeup, declared that she got a nose job and referred to her as "Jessica B, as in Boring." While she agreed Schneider made a spectacle of herself, Bowlin was quick to defend Palmer.

"They did a really poor job editing him," she said. "He is so funny and articulate and cultured, but they portray him as the opposite on TV."

Bowlin said viewers should try to realize that everything shown on TV, especially the dates, aren't limited to the five minutes seen on air.

"The dates last for hours, but of course it gets condensed and edited to the producers' liking," she said.

While Bowlin said none of the women on the show were paid, there were perks. Hair and makeup were professionally done for each rose ceremony. Most of Bowlin's dresses came from stores like Laundry and Bloomingdale's at Fashion Island.

If Bowlin's father had a say, he'd prefer that his daughter not get a ring tonight.

"I'd really rather she not get married like this, from a show," Dan Bowlin said on Tuesday. "She's too young to get married. I'd rather she finished law school, go to Europe and travel, have some fun and maybe think about settling down once she turns 25."

During Palmer's visit to the Bowler family home, it was dad who posed a poignant question to Palmer: "Will you respect our daughter, sister and granddaughter? Answer: Don't tell us, show us."

Camera crews filmed at the home for roughly eight hours.

Dan Bowlin, who is divorced from Jessica's mother, drove to the house to get filmed. He said he was highly amused by several attempts from ABC officials to spice up the clip.

"I just got out of eye surgery, and they asked if I could wear an eye patch like a pirate," Dan Bowlin said. "They also asked if the dog could wear a surfer T-shirt. They really wanted it to be a circus."

Many of Jessica's friends and family cringed when they saw the painful scene where her face crumpled after Palmer told her that he's falling in love with her - but falling in love with someone else, too.

"Next time he plays football, he needs to use a helmet," Dan Bowlin quipped. "I mean, Jessica is absolutely terrified of flying; she has to get medicated to do so. So for her to get on that plane to the Bahamas ... and he comes up with that half-baked comment!"

Still, Jessica said she had to adjust quickly and got past the initial sting.

"I knew there was the possibility that he could be falling in love with another woman," she said. "I couldn't hold it against him for being honest. And when we were together, it felt like nobody else existed, so I had to make the most of it."

Which is why she accepted the invitation to share the "Fantasy Suite" with Palmer instead of going to separate rooms after their daytime date in the Bahamas.

"I had to follow my heart," she said. "We obviously kissed, but we just talked all night long 'til the sun came up, and we watched the sunrise."

Friends and family seem to approve of Palmer.

"He seems like a really nice guy, and it looks like they get along together very well," said longtime friend Gareit Lendzion, 23, of Newport Beach. "Jessica is one of the sweetest people I know, and she's beautiful in real life. He'd be a fool for not picking Jessica."

It was her friends who egged her on to try out for "The Bachelor," partly because they thought she would never do it. After graduating from East Carolina University in three years, Bowlin figured it couldn't hurt to do something out of her range.

No matter what happens, Jessica said she's going to keep her head on her shoulders. That means finishing law school and fulfilling her dream to become an attorney.

"I didn't come on here to try to launch some entertainment career," she said. "I really came here hoping I could find someone wonderful to marry."

Here is the link http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/oc...month=5&day=19

Quote Originally Posted by EZD
    Dan Bowlin, who is divorced from Jessica's mother, drove to the house to get filmed. He said he was highly amused by several attempts from ABC officials to spice up the clip.

"I just got out of eye surgery, and they asked if I could wear an eye patch like a pirate," Dan Bowlin said. "They also asked if the dog could wear a surfer T-shirt. They really wanted it to be a circus."
    Hmmmm big suprise there!

Maybe Tara's dad really isn't the redneck so many people love to call him!

"I mean, Jessica is absolutely terrified of flying; she has to get medicated to do so. So for her to get on that plane to the Bahamas ... and he comes up with that half-baked comment!"
    Ouch! So if she does win and he offers her plane tickets... even more of a reason for the puckerfaced look in the pics.

Crystal Allen

I have lost respect for ABC

I literally laughed out loud when I read the part where her dad says that they wanted him to wear an eye patch 'like a pirate' or put a t-shirt on the dog. How cringeworthy must this be for the parents?

I can just picture the producers standing there hands on hips, all hot and bothered because Jessica's family isn't interesting enough

"Well, this is IT? I mean we need something to work with here...Mr. Bowlin, you said you just had surgery"

"Yes" [dad lying on the couch, taking an antibiotic and/or pain pill]

"Wait, wait, I have an idea, it was eye surgery, right? Could you, like, wear an eye patch? Like a pirate? It would look great on tv"

"No." [dad starts to toss the camera crew out and then realizes he no longer lives there and has no say in who stays or goes from the house]

"Weeellll, ok, the dog then...can we maybe put a t-shirt on your dog? Because we really embarassed that other chick's family when we made them construct a pageant shrine out of stuff in their attic, do you think you could put yourselves out enough to slide a t-shirt onto your dog.? We have a spare one here, if the dog's female she can wear it, it says "Gold Digger----Like a Hooker but Smarter"

"No, and by the way, Jessica, do you have any more of that medication you have to take when you fly? Because I need to calm down big time."

FORT Fan
    I've been resisting this all week, but now I'm convinced that Jessica got the final rose, otherwise she wouldn't think (now) that Jesse is "funny and articulate and cultured".

Did I miss the part about Jesse being articulate and cultured on the show or as they say "love is blind"?

EZD
    Pair that with the fact that Jessica is currently in New York and... bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by EZD
    Pair that with the fact that Jessica is currently in New York and... bingo.

EZD... how exactly do you know that Jessica is in NYC? I know that you've said that you know her, but... there's supposed to be so much secrecy around this that I can't imagine she'd let people know that she was flying to NYC... that would completely let the cat out of the bag and violate her confidentiality agreement.

EZD
    Actually, it wouldn't violate the agreement. This is why I find it very odd that Tara has said (or someone who knows her claims) that she will be in OK tonight. If Jessica were in OC we'd all sure as hell be watching the episode with her - she can't just claim she's going to be alone to watch it - we'd storm her house! I would assume that Tara would truly be or claim to be in NY as well.

FORT Fan
    I don't think NBC will place limits on where competitors can travel, though I'm sure there are restrictions on what they can say in public and private. I'm sure Jessica could have made some lame excuses for travelling to NYC if she really wanted!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast