+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article on Jessica from the OC Register

ok I'm going to jump out there........but get real how many of us think not living together before marriage means anything today? and don't get me wrong I was a strong believer too till I met my husband.........and when its right........
    but like saying that you will have separate apts. means your not doing it.........come on we weren't born yesterday or I wasn't.............

anyway off my rant.......I wish them luck because they are going to need it....to get through the media frenzy and the long distance stuff........

going back to find my hammock and some lovin......smile
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

I understand that they don't believe in lining together before they are married - but findind an apartment in NY can't be cheap.

To each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygirl
    I understand that they don't believe in lining together before they are married - but findind an apartment in NY can't be cheap.

To each their own!

$2000/mth and up if she's going it alone, but school housing is much better so hopefully that'll work out.

Getting an apartment in Hoboken near Jesse's will only be slightly cheaper, if even.

EZD
    I said she would be in NY, not in OC at a party in reference to a suspicion by someone that he'd be sneaking into her house. But anyhow, I am happy for Jessica and I think they may surprise a few people here

I'm so glad to hear how seriously they take marriage and commitment. It's so nice to hear that there are still people who treat marriage with respect.

About choosing not to live together before marriage, I used to think the smart thing for people to do was to get to know each other intimately before considering marriage. I was utterly convinced that it's not possible to make a (hopefully) life-long commitment to someone without testing the waters with a kind of "trial" marriage.

Having lived that way, I now have no doubt that that's a mistake. Aside from what the numbers say (that couples who cohabitate are enormously more likely to end a marriage in divorce than those who don't - can't remember the exact numbers, but it's surprising), I believe now that you can get to know someone quite well enough to decide whether to make a lifetime commitment without "trying them on for size" beforehand. If a couple is fully committed to the marriage, they can overcome issues and obstacles that seem insurmountable to those on the outside.

And it's frankly easier to concentrate on getting to know a person's heart and soul - the core of a lasting relationship - without the distractions that cohabitation, and even physical intimacy, throw into the mix.

I wish I had believed that before dh and I did it the other way! I'm glad Jesse and Jessica seem to be taking this all very seriously and slowly, for their sakes.

Jesse and I are both Catholics and we don't believe in living together before marriage," Bowlin said.
    Being Catholic myself I'm a little confused - I believe that the official standing of the church is that they don't believe in pre-marital sex (not that I've ever met a priest in North America who would actually condemn you for this - I have known people who have consulted their parish priest about this and birth control and they have all been told to follow their own conscience), thereby precluding living together.

So what was with the wanting "to wake up next" to her bit? Thats ok? I think they are a little mixed up about "the rules".

Anyway, my husband and I moved in together when we decided we were going to get married and our priest said he wouldn't marry us in the church unless we were living apart. We had done this for financial reasons. Lucklly his parents lived in the city (but inconveniently far from his job) and he pretended he had moved back home. Anyway we've been married 20+ years.

People are always looking for reasons why marriages don't work. There is no sure fire test and no magic solution. IMO its part luck and a lot to do with your mind set. You have to be committed to the concept of staying in a marriage and making it work no matter what. That is the trick. The luck part enters into the picture because you never know if your spouse doesn't turn out to be some kind of nut bar or abuser - those types of people are the ones who are best at hiding it.
    Last edited by Krispy; 05-21-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Jessica is absolutely terrified of flying; she has to get medicated to do so.
    I love it - he gives her a plane ticket.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    $2000/mth and up if she's going it alone, but school housing is much better so hopefully that'll work out.

Getting an apartment in Hoboken near Jesse's will only be slightly cheaper, if even.
    I just thought of something. It looks like Jesse may be getting the boot since the Jets are about to sign a new QB. What if she's already put down a deposit on a place in NYC? And he goes free agent and has to move for another team.....

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    I don't think Jessica has gotten quite that far along in the moving process yet. She doesn't even know if she's been accepted to a school.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Premium Member
    Good point.

And I would assume she's also applied to schools elsewhere.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast