+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: European views on the Bachelor

European views on the Bachelor

I have received the following information from European friends that might interest you. As I wrote a few months ago, several European countries have been buying the American Bachelor and Bachelorette series, while some have also bought the rights in order to make their own shows. It now appears that Belgium at least has become selective in their shopping spree for American reality shows: while they broadcasted Bachelor 1, 2, and 3 and Bachelorette 1, they decided to skip the Bob fiasco altogether because they considered it not worth spending money on. As a result they went straight for Meredith's Bachelorette 2 which was actually rather popular. In order not to confuse their audience they even tampered with the subtitles: Bachelorette 2 starts with Robo-Chris narrating us how poor Meredith was dumped by Bob and got her own series. Well, the Belgians apparently have skipped the Bob reference altogether, and while it is still heard, they don't translate it! They translation they give instead is: Meredith is in search for true love, etc. etc.

Amazing, isn't it?

Sheila

I think a lot of people wish they had skipped the whole Bob fiasco!!

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    That's interesting. At least it spares poor Estella the humiliation of the Europeans seeing her "win" Bob's "heart." And it spares the Europeans from seeing Bob's nasty wet 'do.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

How do you translate "promise ring" into French and Flemish?

FORT Fan
    I feel sorry that the Belgians will have to sit through the boring, snoozy Meredith series, as well as the stalker Alex (B1) series. Could give them the wrong impressions about Americans. It's not like they already don't hate us because of the whole Iraq fiasco!

Here's Meredith and Ian's conversation on a beach:

I: How are you, lovely?
    M: Good, and you?
    I: I'm good too.
    [long uncomfortable pause]
    M: The weather is sure nice.
    I: Yes, nice day to be outdoors.
    M: The water looks nice.
    I: The sky is nice too.
    [another long pause]
    M: So what do you feel?
    I: Feel about what?
    M: Our relationship, silly.
    I: I feel good. And you?
    M: I feel good too.
    [pause]
    I: You look nice today.
    M: You look nice too.
    [pause]

This same conversation repeats over and over again. Ok, now don't crucify me!

Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde
    I feel sorry that the Belgians will have to sit through the boring, snoozy Meredith series, as well as the stalker Alex (B1) series. Could give them the wrong impressions about Americans. It's not like they already don't hate us because of the whole Iraq fiasco!

[another long pause]
    [pause]
    [pause]

I'm totally confused - are you saying they show this in Europe? I don't remember Meredith and Ian ever being on a beach together.....

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    I think a lot of people wish they had skipped the whole Bob fiasco!!
    I wish I had. It was a huge disappointment.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by SurferBlonde

[another long pause]
    [pause]
    [pause]

That was hilarious. The thing that always cracks me up about these shows is how in touch they are with their feelings right off the bat and start telling each other how much they like each other. Most of the conversations seem to center on how much they like each other with no substance behind us.

FORT Regular
    Well, at least the Europeans have some taste. Looks to me like they removed all the ugly Americans and put in the kinder, gentler ones (with the exception of Alex. Okay Trista too.). Jesse makes Aaron look 50's tame, so I won't mention his name. (oops) Interesting that they removed Blob completely, in my opinion he epitomizes the worst qualities of the series even though here he was the most popular (in terms of ratings) to date. Maybe sensationalist media whoreism doesn't do as well over there, although, they did introduce Simon Scowell to the world...
    Sometimes you just gotta jump and build your wings on the way down.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I notice they didn't spend the money on Trista's 6 million dollar world in Pink

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast