+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has the Bachelor "Jumped the Shark" ?

just killin' time . . . Truewriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    I'd say that Trish marks the show jumping the shark because the show was no longer about the Bachelor. Blob's excessive kissing (which has been eclipsed by Jesse) was only a decline in quality... this show takes the cake.
    YES! You are so right, Siryn. This Bachelor jumped the shark from day one. Jesse Palmer as The Bachelor? Way too young and just plain dopey. Everytime he kisses someone I start counting my kitchen cabinets--kind of reminds me of Blob. Now Ian . . . (stop--can't go there--too hot in here). Trish would be a joke if she wasn't such a sad case, and the producers' manipulation of everyone and everything is sick.

I think I was in Mere/Ian withdrawal when I got sucked into watching this garbage.
    Last edited by Truewriter; 05-19-2004 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    The reference is to a pop culture book called "Jumping The Shark" and it references the 70's show "Happy Days" in an episode where Fonzie [played by Henry Winkler] entered a contest wherein he'd have to waterski and literally jump over a shark that was in the ocean but contained in a netted off area. It was generally accepted that this event was when the show went from a syrupy pop-culture take on the 50's to a show that had to use desparation and gimmicks to keep a no longer interested audience.

The book outlines numerous tv shows and when they "Jumped the Shark," such as when the Facts of Life girls graduated from Eastland or when Laverne and Shirley moved from Milwaukee to Hollywood.

Great explanation.

By the way, yes. This show is past its prime. It either needs a complete overhaul or to go bye-bye. The last two Bachelors have just had no real spark. The Trish character has added some excitement and drama but the purpose of the show is for "the bachelor" to find a connection with someone. This current edition is about as exciting as cardboard.

FORT Regular
    Actually, I think cardboard might even be more exciting!

Yet, I still watch it............

Yep, the Bachelor has jumped the shark...I think it really started when they began introducing edited film clips that were not truthful (Antoinette on Blob's season) and now The Bachelor featuring Trish this season. Get back to basics or devolve into one of the other gimmicky reality dating shows.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    I agree that the bachelorettes must have been more than boring for the whole show to be about Trish. If they had something interesting to show us about something/someone they would have.

Gees....they COULD have shown more of the dates and the interaction between Jesse and the girls! What a novel idea for a dating tv reality show! duh

FORT Regular
    *sigh* It has jumped the shark so much that I am glad I'm working so much overtime. I have missed Jesse's show pretty much entirely.

I saw the first two episodes and could have fallen asleep.

(of course, that said, who could have followed Meredith and Ian? for all the Meredith and Ian fans out there...)
    "Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening." - Greta Garbo

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    I agree that the bachelorettes must have been more than boring for the whole show to be about Trish. If they had something interesting to show us about something/someone they would have.
    I've posted this before, but I'm nothing if not redundant - I disagree with this. What I think happened is that they realized that they had a live wire with Trish, and ran with that. The producers, in my opinion, lost all perspective, and focused all of their attention on her. I don't believe it has anything to do with the other women there - just with Fleiss and company not understanding that one personality cannot carry the whole weight of the series.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Crystal Allen

Focus on Trish

There have been several good ideas as to why the show focused on Trish, but it would be interesting to hear from an insider what her 'journey' was from applicant to Bachelorette. Since by all accounts, they have to fill out numerous forms and go through numerous interviews, they must have clearly understood her personal history and character. I am too skeptical to believe that they just got lucky with her behaviour and interactions with the other women. It's reasonable to believe that they would have asked questions about past relationships, sexual history, friendships, relationships with family, etc.

If nothing else, we know that the producers have to clear all the clothing they wear on screen [imagine if a girl brought her favorite t-shirt which had a logo from a show on a rival network--or a one piece bathing suit!] So they allowed the famous "Gold Digger" shirt at the very least guessing what the reaction would be. If we are very skeptical we can suspect that somebody on the production staff had a relationship with "David and Goliath", the shirt's manufacturers and if we're of very very cynical nature we can suspect that their sales have increased.

It's also difficult to believe that the producers have not conducted focus groups or marketing research as to what viewers enjoy about these shows. I don't know if FORT posters are indicative of the viewing public or not, but maybe Fleiss found that viewers might be more interested in reliving their middle school days by harshing on an outcast girl than watching a love story.

Last possibility--maybe he burned down the show in order to save it. If the next installment goes back in time to when fairy tale endings, love stories, and multi-dimensional characters still ruled the airwaves, maybe viewers will tune into subsequent shows, their faith in The Bachelor restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    Last possibility--maybe he burned down the show in order to save it. If the next installment goes back in time to when fairy tale endings, love stories, and multi-dimensional characters still ruled the airwaves, maybe viewers will tune into subsequent shows, their faith in The Bachelor restored.
    Or maybe Mike Fleiss just realized that nothing could top Meredith & Ian's love story, so they just didn't even try for this installment...

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    Or maybe Mike Fleiss just realized that nothing could top Meredith & Ian's love story, so they just didn't even try for this installment...
    I hope you all are right........because I can't or won't take another season like the current one.......I know I probably sound like a broken record but I want some romance........ I don't think that's too much to ask for!
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast