+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chemistry

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    I agree that what has ruined this installment of the Bachelor is the manipulation and the editing. I think also that as the dating progressed, they realized it was going to be a lackluster group of people & they did what they thought best to keep the ratings. Obviously, that didn't work. Hopefully they have learned something & will correct it w/ the next Bachelor/ette. One more installment should tell if this season was just a fluke, or if it was deliberate. I'd fire the group that chooses the main guy or gal - they've done a bad job w/ Bob & Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    I agree with that too! Doesn't it also seem like Chris hates Trish?
    He certainly seemed to enjoy setting her up and letting the girls whack her like a pinata on the "Women Tell All" show.

For all the complaints (we) more intelligent viewers have about poor editing, paid actresses, and lack of any real chemistry between the participants, the Bachelor is still the higjest rated show on ABC. Which suggests to me that ABC is doing exactly what it intends to do in the way they present the show, and they don't really care about the kind of critiques being offered on this thread.

And regarding the Archie Bunker comparison - that was thirty years ago. I don't think it's even possible to underestimate the intelligence of the average TV viewer, these days.

If ABC did what we wanted, they would psychologically profile all the participants before the show, to make sure the women are compatible with the Bachelor; eliminate all of the emotionally unstable types; choose women who are a compatible age and maturity level with the Bachelor; focus the editing on the interaction between the Bachelor and each woman in turn, not on cat-fights in the house (there really wouldn't need to be a house); and eliminate most of the "fluff" in the dates (like the heart-shaped marching band).

And they would end up with a show where all the women liked each other and the Bachelor, everyone got along, no one cried in the limo, no fights would occur...and even if the Bachelor ended up marrying his final choice, the lack of drama would drive away the majority of the audience and ABC would cancel the Bachelor after that season.

The "emotionally unstable pageant queens on parade" sell the show. Sleaze that he is, Fleiss realizes that - so expect more of the same in the future.

Crystal Allen

Blob and Jesse

You are so right that they did a horrible job with these two. As soon as Blob told them "No" the first time that should have been the end of it, when Blob said "No, I'm not interested in finding my future wife via your show" they should have listened to him. Wasn't the handwriting on the wall when he said "Ok, but only if I don't have to propose?" While realistically it makes sense to not commit to asking a woman to marry you after 6 weeks and in that environment [I can see six weeks if you meet normally, know instantly s/he's the one and spend hours getting to know each other] but he was pre-emptively telling them "there is zero chance i'm buying into this fantasy." They refused to see beyond his popularity with the audience.

With Jesse, they picked a wrongfully chose a Bachelor the way some people wrongfully chose a spouse, they wanted a certain 'type' they wanted a professional athlete. Remember Fleiss's comment about how they thought they'd get, at best, a minor league baseball player but SCORE! they got an NFL quarterback. They were more interested in the fact that he was 'an NFL quarterback' then whether he'd make a good Bachelor. As I've stated, I think Jesse is probably in real life a great guy, he's just not a good Bachelor.

So really, ABC erred the same way humans err when choosing a mate, going for the guy they liked, rather than the guy that would be good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by satorus
    & they did what they thought best to keep the ratings. Obviously, that didn't work.

Unfortunately, as much bitching as we all do, the ratings HAVE been there. We'll just have to see which lesson they learn.

Sorry to disagree, the ratings haven't been there ABC is in forth place, and the Bachelor is no where to be found on the top 20 shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    You are so right that they did a horrible job with these two. As soon as Blob told them "No" the first time that should have been the end of it, when Blob said "No, I'm not interested in finding my future wife via your show" they should have listened to him. Wasn't the handwriting on the wall when he said "Ok, but only if I don't have to propose?" While realistically it makes sense to not commit to asking a woman to marry you after 6 weeks and in that environment [I can see six weeks if you meet normally, know instantly s/he's the one and spend hours getting to know each other] but he was pre-emptively telling them "there is zero chance i'm buying into this fantasy." They refused to see beyond his popularity with the audience.

With Jesse, they picked a wrongfully chose a Bachelor the way some people wrongfully chose a spouse, they wanted a certain 'type' they wanted a professional athlete. Remember Fleiss's comment about how they thought they'd get, at best, a minor league baseball player but SCORE! they got an NFL quarterback. They were more interested in the fact that he was 'an NFL quarterback' then whether he'd make a good Bachelor. As I've stated, I think Jesse is probably in real life a great guy, he's just not a good Bachelor.

So really, ABC erred the same way humans err when choosing a mate, going for the guy they liked, rather than the guy that would be good for them.
    I agree with you. I have to say Blob is much worse than Jesse, IMO. I always thought Blob was only a okay looking guy before he became a Bachelor. I hated it when they say Blob was chosen by "popular demands". :phhht

Crystal Allen

Which begs the horrific question.

Which season was worse, Jesse or Blob? I would say Blob's because we knew going in that he had to be forced into doing the show, and we knew he didn't want to find true love. At least with Jesse we can sort of believe that he came on with good intentions. On the other hand, Blob's was editted well, we kinda sorta believed he and Estella would make a go of it. This one, we're all thinking 'they must have made this series about Trish because the romance crashed and burned from the star.'

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    Sorry to disagree, the ratings haven't been there ABC is in forth place, and the Bachelor is no where to be found on the top 20 shows.
    This past week (or maybe Trish's first exit) The Bachelor was ABC's highest rated show.

Yes, ABC as a whole is not doing too well, but when this show is still your biggest draw... is that incentive to change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    This past week (or maybe Trish's first exit) The Bachelor was ABC's highest rated show.

Yes, ABC as a whole is not doing too well, but when this show is still your biggest draw... is that incentive to change it?

You would certainly think so, especially after survivor has managed to pull of not only a great, reality show but a love story too.
    Gotta The Fort
    The place that keeps you in touch with reality!

CNN.Com

Entertainment president Stephen McPherson, has been on the job 29 days.
    ABC, a fourth place network for much of the year cleared out it management team a month ago.

Guess the chemistry wasn't working

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast