+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karen and Suzie on GMA

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    True, but what I was saying was that they contradicted each other. Suzie said 'what you see is what you get' and Karen said "she's not what she seems."

I think the girls are angry to find out that Jesse is not judging Trish the same way they are. Here they were joyful over the fact that Jesse was going to find out about Trish's past as certainly eliminate her. And it didn't happen. Within all girl groups there are tremendous penalties for not following the rules, and yet they found out that Jesse was willing to judge Trish at the same degree they were. They wanted to hate her, Jesse just wanted to determine if she might be a woman he'd like to date.

I think Suzie was referring to the editing...she was saying ABC did not edit Trish in a way that was not representative of the real Trish. What we, as viewers, are seeing is the way she really is.

Karen, on the other hand, was warning Jesse that the Trish he makes out with every day is not the Trish that parades around the house bragging about sleeping with married men and women. Karen was warning Jesse that although Trish may seem sincere, she does not come off that way around the house.

Sugar coated with a bite lemon_drop's Avatar
    True, but what I was saying was that they contradicted each other. Suzie said 'what you see is what you get' and Karen said "she's not what she seems."

I think the girls are angry to find out that Jesse is not judging Trish the same way they are. Here they were joyful over the fact that Jesse was going to find out about Trish's past as certainly eliminate her. And it didn't happen. Within all girl groups there are tremendous penalties for not following the rules, and yet they found out that Jesse was willing to judge Trish at the same degree they were. They wanted to hate her, Jesse just wanted to determine if she might be a woman he'd like to date.
    Suzie stated to GMA viewers that what you see is what you get with Trish... that ABC accurately portrayed her as she truly is. Karen statement to Jesse is that Trish is not what she seems to be, TO HIM, meaning she's presenting a different personality to him, and that's it's a false one. There's no contradiction in stories. I don't think they wanted to hate her. Every other woman in that house got along, like and enjoyed eachother's company. When there is a problem with one, well logic follows that the problem is with the ONE and not the majority.
    "Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past once more?"

Crystal Allen

I respectfully disagree on two counts

One, referring to Jesse's diary, he says he 'knows things about Trish that the girls don't" so he may be making decsions based on things the girls don't see.

Secondly, while I can see your logic, it is also true that if somebody is an outcast for some reason, it does not mean there is something wrong with her, or even that the other girls while maybe not individually bad people, haven't developed a gang/pack mentality. If a girl is harmed in a sorority rush situation, this doesn't mean she's a bad person, just that the pack mentality encouraged the others to behave in a certain manner. As I've posted before, Trish's sexcapades may encourage disrespect or a desire to not be her friend, but the over the top hatred is irrational. Doesn't anyone remember a sweet, shy girl in junior high or high school who was inexplicably shunned and ostracized from the crowd?

Same sex group dynamics place a very very high premium on fitting in and adhering to a certain set of rules. I think the anger over Trish getting the rose was a product of their realizing that she had broken the code and STILL gotten the rose. In those girls' world, one of the prizes of behaving a certain way is getting the guy, and this went against the grain.

If a girl is harmed in a sorority rush situation, this doesn't mean she's a bad person, just that the pack mentality encouraged the others to behave in a certain manner. As I've posted before, Trish's sexcapades may encourage disrespect or a desire to not be her friend, but the over the top hatred is irrational. Doesn't anyone remember a sweet, shy girl in junior high or high school who was inexplicably shunned and ostracized from the crowd?
    While I agree with what you say that people can have a tendency towards a "pack mentality," I don't see the parallel you are drawing with the "sweet, shy girl in jr. high or high school was was inexplicably shunned and ostracized from the crowd." I don't perceive Trish to be sweet, or shy, and I don't think her being shunned and ostracized is inexplicable - I think it is easily explained by her attitude, actions, and words while around the other girls.

I always have to remember, too, that what we see is, in reality, only a VERY small part of what went on. I am sure that the girls did not base their opinions of her on only the small bits and pieces of conversations we have witnessed, but rather the hours, days, and weeks that they lived with her.

I can only base my opinion on what I have seen of her on TV - not who she may or may not really be as a person. Ultimately, though, she is the one who has to live with her choices - past and present - and be happy with herself. I don't like her, but in the end, I'm sure that doesn't really matter all that much to her!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Crystal Allen

Sweet and Shy

I was not saying that Trish was sweet and/or shy.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible for somebody to reach outcast status despite there being nothing wrong with them. Outcast status may derive from nothing more than one group member not behaving in the way the rest do, or from merely being a markedly different type of person [good, bad, or neutral.] Again, if the accepted way to be is to be a pageant girl who thinks of world peace, babies and acting like a virgin and Trish doesn't subscribe to that, then she's going to be an outcast.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    "Honestly, with Trish, what you see is what you get."
    Anddd?? Should she be a phony like you?

Personally, I'd RATHER be with someone who "is who she is"...as opposed to someone who'd "bring things up" later in the relationship, after they've already hook-line-and-sinkered me into being in love.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible for somebody to reach outcast status despite there being nothing wrong with them. Outcast status may derive from nothing more than one group member not behaving in the way the rest do, or from merely being a markedly different type of person [good, bad, or neutral.]
    I can attest to that after an experience I had a number of years ago where I became the outcast much to my surprise. I was simply, as Six Degrees points, different from everyone else in the group. The result was a perfectly miserable experience 6 months. Was I happy to get out of there! On the positive side, it made me value all my friendships so much more.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I was not saying that Trish was sweet and/or shy.

I was merely pointing out that it is possible for somebody to reach outcast status despite there being nothing wrong with them. Outcast status may derive from nothing more than one group member not behaving in the way the rest do, or from merely being a markedly different type of person [good, bad, or neutral.] Again, if the accepted way to be is to be a pageant girl who thinks of world peace, babies and acting like a virgin and Trish doesn't subscribe to that, then she's going to be an outcast.
    But, didn't Trish come right out and state that she didn't care if the other women there liked her or not - she was there to win? It would seem to me that attitude would mean that she was purposefully and deliberately placing herself in "outcast" status.

And, I don't see all of the other women as "pagent girls who think only of world peace, babies and acting like a virgin". As far as I know only two of them (Mandy J and Karen) were in pagents and they both seem like really nice women. What's wrong with world peace? And, I don't think they've been acting "virginal" - shoot, Jesse's liplocked almost everybody, Tara's the only one that's being hesitant.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I wish these interviewers would talk to the women about their experiences instead of focussing so much attention on Trish.
    I agree with that!
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

[QUOTE=RBmumsie]But, didn't Trish come right out and state that she didn't care if the other women there liked her or not - she was there to win? It would seem to me that attitude would mean that she was purposefully and deliberately placing herself in "outcast" status.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I believe that a lot of people respond the way Trish did (above) to cover their hurt in being disliked and/or outcast. Not saying that's the definite case in this situation but people do make statements of that nature to mask their pain ~ especially in a public forum ~ or an attempt to convince themselves that they really don't care. She also said she felt attacked and was tired of defending herself to the younger girls, in her conversation with Karen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12