+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: There's Something Not Right About This Season's Editing

Crystal Allen

There's Something Not Right About This Season's Editing

I just went and looked at the numer of posts about each of the final six girls.

Trish has literally TEN TIMES the number of posts of some others. Nonwithstanding how very entertaining she is, does it not seem bizarre that we know nothing about the other girls? The girl with the second most number of posts is the mole, who is of course not even a real bachelorette.

The Habitat for Humanity date from which both Jessica B. and Karen emerged to get roses showed zero alone time with either of them, save for Jessicas few make out minutes post hot tub. Tara's alone date featured more shots of her trying on dresses then with Jesse. Suzie's movie date was totally cut out, except for the end of it. Wouldn't it have been more fun to watch them [like with Kirstin and Andrew] looking at pictures of each other and giggling or saying something like "oh, that picture is from my piano recital when I was 8" or "that's me with my brother, he and I are really close." All we know about these girls is what is on their ABC profiles and what we've dug up on the internet.

We have seen nothing of the girls talking about their jobs,families, or interests. The 'confessional' shots have been almost solely the other girls bashing Trish. Again, very entertaining...but unless Trish is the winner [seemingly impossible] shouldn't we care somewhat about the other girls? If Trish goes this week, they'll practically have to start a new show, as nobody can really follow anyone else, or even differentiate them.

Lastly, cutting out Deliberation time means we see neither Jesse saying anything about the girls or even the process, and we don't get to see the 'private video messages' which showed at least a speck of the girl's personality and at the very least showed them demonstrating some interest in the Bachelor.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    They're cutting out his discussion with the producers that are telling him that he has to pick Trish or else he owes them $5M.

I can imagine that ABC decided on a strategy of putting all of the focus on Trish until she's gone. She obviously generates great interest, has been set up as the villain from the first few minutes of the show, is the only justification for the mole subplot, and is likely to be out by the time of the hometown dates. Then they'll start focusing on differences among the other women. I actually don't think that in previous episodes we knew more about the other women, we just know so much more about Trish. The editing makes it pretty clear that Karen won't be around for long, but we have seen enough to set up Jessica B. as most intolerant of Trish, Suzie as the most fun and bouncy, Tara as the insider's (Jenny's) favorite, and Mandy J. as the laid back and stable one. In the limited hour each week, ABC is just playing Trish for all she's worth.

With each installment, the show has drifted from its original fairy-tale concept of two anonymous strangers finding true love (albeit through a bizarre process). We had Trista, the scorned runner-up, coming back for her due. We had Andrew, already a celebrity from his name and wealth, leading us to the good/bad girl subplot. We had Bob, seemingly America's favorite funnyman, returned to show that likeable trumps photogenic (oh well). Now we have a show centered on an NFL quarterback, a home-wrecker, and a mole. I don't see a problem with the editing--it seems consistent with the series of gimmicks that have taken over the show.
    Last edited by rdpch; 04-24-2004 at 06:07 PM.

good points

I always complain about ABC's editing in these shows, where they do the good person/bad person thing at the end and get you to love one person & the other wins. But, this is a totally different problem you're bringing up on the editing front. How can we 'root' for anyone if we don't know anything about them when it all comes down to it? By then we won't care. We'll just be glad Trash, I mean Trish, is gone. :rolleyes

FORT Newbie
    It's all about the ratings. They want viewers and the drama reels them in.

Crystal Allen

Trish and Some Other Girls

Right now this show is about Trish and and an indesipherable group of girls that Aren't Trish.

In every other series the previews say "who will stay, who will go home broken hearted?" and in this one they actually said "will Trish finally go?" In other series they would show inter-girl squabbles, the one that sticks in my head being LeeAnn from Blob's series mouthing off and saying "I wasn't talking to you Jenny, if I were I would say, "Jenny." and in this one they promote "the most hated Bachelorette ever!!"

So rdpch must be right that the show has veered off from it's orginal theme. And it's probably also sadly true, assuming Mike Fleiss knows his target audience [women 18-49, i'd guess] that watching women be mean to other women is a better ratings grab then somebody finding true love.

[QUOTE=charity]I always complain about ABC's editing in these shows, where they do the good person/bad person thing at the end and get you to love one person & the other wins. But, this is a totally different problem you're bringing up on the editing front. How can we 'root' for anyone if we don't know anything about them when it all comes down to it? By then we won't care. We'll just be glad Trash, I mean Trish, is gone. :rolleyes[/QUOTE

I agree with you 100% Charity , I couldn't have said it better.
    I like some drama but I want the romance.

I agree rdpch that ABC is playing Trish/trash for all she's worth...
    but I need some romance to add to the drama if they want to really keep my atttention. I guess the only thing that keeps me interested is trying to figure out the puzzle.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    Are the ratings improving? Because I hate this. It's not that I'm tired of Trish, it's that they give everything away with the previews.

By the time something happens, it's old news. And they're wasting valuable time by using a minute or two before every commercial break. Put that time back, and we'd actually learn something about the girls.

Instead, the best they could do was make up some crap about Jessica H, and ignore Katie and Julie entirely. Bad editing. very bad editing.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

Crystal Allen

Yes, the previews

are terrible.

I am certain every single viewer would have chosen 2 minutes of 'alone time' with Karen over the "Bill Audition Tape." I know I would have.

The excessive previews also leave the viewers feeling somewhat cuckholded. We already know that the "stalker" is at least a composite of Jessica H's hand stroking his chest, Jenny S.'s voice saying "forgive me for what I'm about to do" and Tara's walking feet and Jesse looking over his sholder at Tara shot in black and white. For whatever purpose Jesse uses the words 'I feel like I have a stalker' they have nothing to do with the words "I felt uncomfortable with how she was touching me" [b/c he was referring to Jessica H.] or the high heeled shoes walking down the hallway [b/c they are Tara's feet, clearly.]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast