+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean to be "in this for the right reasons"?????

adm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Just butting in here for a question. Does Jesse come from money? Because a third string QB without a guarenteed contract is not rich at all. He is moments away from selling insurance.
    I don't think we know whether he really has money or not. Clearly Trish thinks he does. I think what he's said is he wants a woman who's not after him because of what he does for a living, not a woman who's not after his money.

Of course, he SAYS that, but then proceeds to go on dates with these women where he (1) plays football and (2) goes to the Rose Bowl. And every promo for this damn show has him doing something that screams "I'm a professional football player!!!" This guy's only looking to get laid, and the supply of "women in the United States he hadn't already slept" with was getting low.

Maybe Jesse should have went on "For Love or Money".

Quote Originally Posted by adm
    I think what he's said is he wants a woman who's not after him because of what he does for a living, not a woman who's not after his money.
    Yes, that is what I recall him saying too.

Then he keeps the cheerleader who thinks they are a good match because cheerleaders and football players go together like peas and carrots. Then he keeps the money-grubbing golddigger. I smell a hypocrite.

The line "in it for the right reasons" has been used before on previous installments of the show. It's straight off the cue cards like "amazing", "take the next step", "this amazing journey",etc.

When it was used in the past I took it to mean:
    1. not just doing the show for the fun and novelty of being on TV
    2. serious about finding a lifelong mate
    3. not just doing the show for self-promotion and career advancement
    4. interested in me as a real person despite all the hype
    5. not pursuing me solely out of competitive urge to win

In light of his selections in that episode, the timing of his statement struck me as ridiculous. Plus, since there is a good chance that Jesse is violating right-reasons #2 and #3, it really seemed silly.
    Bring it!

Maybe the producers used the line to show us how badly Jesse needs the help of a Mole.
    Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Just butting in here for a question. Does Jesse come from money? Because a third string QB without a guarenteed contract is not rich at all. He is moments away from selling insurance.
    Being a back-up QB is a precarious life. He might become another Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, or he might be cut in the training camp or bouncing around the league as a permanent back-up. Just look at the guy behind Jesse at Giants depth chart at QB position: Jason Garrett. He was the back-up QB for Troy Aikman and started a few games for the Dallas Cowboys when Aikman was injured, during the glory days of the Cowboys, which was LONG time ago. I was so surprised to find him still around in NFL and still a back-up QB!

So Jesse has some money. But it pales in comparison with the quaranteed money and signing bonus top draft picks got, which is usually several mils. He could be one hard hit away from selling insurance or whatever..
    Snark with the best
    Die like the rest

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Just butting in here for a question. Does Jesse come from money? Because a third string QB without a guarenteed contract is not rich at all. He is moments away from selling insurance
    His dad played for the CFL and his mom was a model , so to answer your question, if he doesn't pick up his game , I'm sure State farm will be giving him a call Bill.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    That diary on the abc website was obviously not written by him. You'd think in a diary one would allow themselves to be candid. The second one just trails of, "not here for the right reasons" X4-5 times throughout the whole thing.
    He should've given julie's rose to celeste. There were nice things said about her in there. My thoughts are that what he thought of the women that "weren't there for the right reasons" was, "i'll dump them and keep my harem who worships me religiously, one even wants to give me little cheerleaders and quarterbacks." lol

I bet he isn't all that wealthy, but I bet a lot of girls don't know that. Since they probably don't I bet a lof of them might be attracted to him for what they perceive him to be or to have, fame, and fortune whether he really does have them or not.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    I think that he expects them to look past his faults and try to get him anyway. Certainly Tara is doing that; Kristi chose not to. Jean Marie was willing to. I think the women that sign up for this thing don't expect the producers to cast a guy with groupies who thinks he's reformed enough to get married. To a degree, I agree with him, but you can't get snippy about someone who decides that your past behavior is minefield of red flags. You are not responsible for what others think, but for what you give them reason to think. Relationships are a two-way street, and the women have to be discerning about Jesse in the same way that he has to be discerning of them.

As for the aggressiveness required - to a degree, I agree that it is incumbent upon the women to make their move and get to know him. Time is limited. They only get one freaking date a week. And they are hoping to walk away with a fiancÚ? Hell yeah, you better get some alone time and talk to the guy, see what the heck is going on in his head and whether or not you like it. So in a way, I agree with Jesse's decision to get rid of the passive-aggressive, but someone like Julie just grates on my every nerve. Frickin' bubblehead. Augh.

I think it's all a matter of how one defines *wealthy.* Most of these girls (and most of us in general) have a very slim chance of meeting/marrying a man that makes $350,000 for a 6 month job. I definitely wouldn't put him in the middle class, even if he is a backup QB.

In regards to his comment about *in it for the right reasons*; I, too, believe he's looking for someone that can truly see themselves marrying who he is, not what he is, come the end of the show. I just find the whole Trish spectacle to be incredibly hypocritical. I think it's beyond obvious that she's in it for the wrong reasons.. even in the comments that she makes in front of him. Just goes to show that sometimes what we think we want and what we actually want can be two very very different things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast