+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is with the double standard?

Premium Member

What is with the double standard?

So I just started reading this forum recently. I haven't watched this show since Andrew (an entire season of Bob was more than I could handle folks :phhht ). I've been reading back through a lot of the threads here and I have to ask, what's the deal? I've seen some nasty posts about Trish and the married man, Trish and the 35 partners, Trish kissing him in the limo, Trish is a "nasty bitch", skanky ho, etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Trish or her actions, but it just seems weird to me.

Jesse makes comments about not wanting to keep waking up to random faces or whatever, has a number of "ex girlfriends" coming out of the woodwork, has made a comment somewhere about groupies, and was seen at a strip club near the end of the taping. That's ok, while Trish gets crucified? Or am I getting the wrong impression of Jesse? Could be, I have insomnia and it's 5AM, cut me some slack. He just doesn't strike me as being an angel himself.

*hides out waiting for the onslaught*

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    So I just started reading this forum recently. I haven't watched this show since Andrew (an entire season of Bob was more than I could handle folks :phhht ). I've been reading back through a lot of the threads here and I have to ask, what's the deal? I've seen some nasty posts about Trish and the married man, Trish and the 35 partners, Trish kissing him in the limo, Trish is a "nasty bitch", skanky ho, etc etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Trish or her actions, but it just seems weird to me.

Jesse makes comments about not wanting to keep waking up to random faces or whatever, has a number of "ex girlfriends" coming out of the woodwork, has made a comment somewhere about groupies, and was seen at a strip club near the end of the taping. That's ok, while Trish gets crucified? Or am I getting the wrong impression of Jesse? Could be, I have insomnia and it's 5AM, cut me some slack. He just doesn't strike me as being an angel himself.
    Ya know, I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading through the posts. There were some nasty things said about Trish and it seems that we, as in all of us, eagerly attack the women of this series, but don't really hold the men up to the same standards. The producers also set up the show so that there is almost always a clear "villain" among the women, but so far no male equivalent when the Bachelorette is the star (more often, she ends up becoming the villain herself, a.la. Trista). It is definitely a double standard as I see it and kind of a nasty one considering these are, after all, real people, but for the most part I see the producers as being the main culprits since they are responsible for the editing.

The other double standard is that you don't see this kind of editing in the Bachelorette. Which is why I like the Bachelorette better. Mostly, the men are portrayed as good natured party dudes, and even the ones who are annoying, a.k.a. Rick, Ryan M., Ryan R., Russ, Brook, etc., are shown as being annoying in a sort of entertaining way, rather than in a mean spirited way like the women (Lee Ann, Kirsten, Christi, Christina, now Trish). Just my .02.
    Sometimes you just gotta jump and build your wings on the way down.

FORT Regular
    I agree. Every guy they have had on this show tried to bed all the girls he can. Sorry I had to throw in that little clappy icon thing How many guys do you think Trista slept with. I think at least 2. Personally I think its disgusting. Sloppy seconds, thirds, maybe even forths :phhht . Gee I didn't pay attention to Marideth. How many guys did she screw on the show? Its sad

It's just fun to pick on the girl because there is so many of them. It would not be practical to hate Jesse because he is the only one and he isn't going to go anywhere. Trish, however, we can wish every single week would disappear from the face of the earth, and there is hope she will. Besides Jesse doesn't brag about his one night stands, instead he wants to stop that behavior, but Trish seems to outright brag about it. That makes her the perfect target.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I don't think it's the fact that Trish has so many notches on the thigh high boots, it's just that she brags about it , and is a SELF described "money grubbing gold digging whore." If any guy on the show came up with that statement , I'll bet you'd hear some howling.

It's definately the bragging. I just remembered an old friend who "behaved like a guy" so to say, but she never bragged about it, and nobody gave it a second thought. If anything the girls were laughing that the guys finally get back what they give.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

adm
    I don't see a double standard here. I think Jesse is a ginormous boob too. Seriously, lots of people have had a fair number of sex partners, and a few one-nighters. But you don't go on national television and announce that, especially to a roomful of people that you are (1) competing for the same man with or (2) courting. So they're both total morons.

But there is a slight distinction. Trish did out-right brag about it (also -- does everyone remember the comment at the end of the opera date when she said something like "in my experience, and lord knows I've had a LOT of it"?) and say she was planning to build on her past experiences (ala, since she's slept with all these rich, connected men, she won't settle). If Jesse had made a comment like "I have had plenty of HOT A$$ in my time, so I'm not going to settle for just any old cow," that would put him more on line with Trish. Even though he didn't, he's still a boob.

Crystal Allen

In total agreement about the Alive and Well double standard

When Trish said she'd "had a lot of experience" maybe she just meant dating, life in general, or even dated one or two hot shot men for a long time and was exposed to numerous incidences of bad behaviour.

Also, we don't know that Trish is 'bragging', according to the promo, the girls are playing a game of "I Never" so maybe she's just going along in admitting past behaviour. It's very possible the Jenny S. {i'm on record as not liking the Mole idea} started the game for the express purpose of bringing out this type of thing. Get a group of same sex folks in a room together, give them nothing else to do [remember they get no contact with the outside world] and an open bar, and the likelihood of sex discussion is high.

Jesse never had to get as specific as "I don't like waking up next to a stranger," he could have just said "I am ready to find Miss Right" or "Yes, I've had my fun, but I'm looking to setle down now."

Here's another "editing" thought--how is it that we know only Trish's history and nobody elses? Is it possible that every other girl is either a virgin or has only had a small number of partners with whom she was in a committed relationship?

Or is it only Trish's past that the viewers are privy to?

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    A double standard may exist, but not on this board. Jesse has been raked through the coals as well & IMO he deserved it based on the scenes the producers have given us.

Great point, and thanks for starting the discussion on it. I think it's totally valid to question the crap that we're all dishing out to Trish. But I do remember quite a bit of razzing on here in regards to Blob's manwhoreish-making-out-ness with everyone on his show, and I have a feeling Jesse's not going to be too far behind.

I'm sure some of it can be attributed to editing, but like we said with Leeann, you can't edit words into someone's mouth. And Trish has said plenty already that makes me not care for her at all.

Not to mention the fact that most of the people on this board are female, and we just naturally tend to get more catty and judgemental of our own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Could I BE wearing any more clothes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast