+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is with the double standard?

I don't want to repeat myself, because I said something similar on another thread, but I think the reason everyone is picking on Trish is that she's being pretty vocal about her sex life/previous relationships. If you don't want your words being used against you, then watch what you say - especially if there are cameras in the room!!
    I don't think we're guilty of having a double standard on this forum, because if this were the Bachelorette, and guys were bragging about how many women they'd had, we'd be raggin' on them too! That's what we do here

Quote Originally Posted by adm
    OR, she's clever enough to have caught on to the reality-tv romance show formula, and knows that by being the "bad girl" she'll stay around almost to the end -- and she's just out for publicity anyways.
    Insightful, adm, and I'll bet you're right. She just wants her air time, and she knows how to get it (say sensationalistic things at the house, and stick her tongue down Jesse's throat on the dates).

By the way, thanks for the "ginormous boob" line. I'm still giggling.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

I think the double standard is obvious. I've heard more from people on this board about how judgmental Kristin was for rejecting Jesse based on his "waking up with a stranger" comments than about what a skank Jesse is, but I've heard Trish repeatedly called worse. Deep down, I don't think most people view Jesse as having done much wrong, because his actions fit the stereotype of a studly football player. My guess is that casual sex is more typical in both Jesse's and Trish's social worlds, which is why they don't have as much trouble saying something about it on television.

I can't see how people can draw such strong conclusions when information is so limited. Trish says she slept with a married man--perhaps to intimidate her rivals--but maybe the man was separated and headed for divorce at the time? Maybe the man and his wife had an open relationship? In any case, the main responsibility for the infidelity rests with the married man.

[QUOTE=adm]I don't see a double standard here. I think Jesse is a ginormous boob too.
    ME TOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl
    Hmmm very interesting theory. I'm starting to wonder, is anyone actually going on these shows for the intended purpose anymore, or is it all to further their "careers"?

TOTALLY agree that this is the motive with so many on the reality TV circuit. Case in point: meterosexual Rick from Bachelorette was recently spotted in a local San Diego night spot (yes, this is first hand) with a conspicuous "reserved" table for he and buddies. The amount of attention that he got from local beauties, was a little obnoxious - no, I wouldn't expect any less. So since his local interviews on the tv circuit here in town, he's still riding on the show's notoriety :phhht . I'm sure that given how calculating Trish appears to be on the show, that this angle certaintly crossed her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    I don't think we're guilty of having a double standard on this forum, because if this were the Bachelorette, and guys were bragging about how many women they'd had, we'd be raggin' on them too! That's what we do here
    I totally agree, berries.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpch
    I've heard more from people on this board about how judgmental Kristin was for rejecting Jesse based on his "waking up with a stranger" comments than about what a skank Jesse is,
    Really? I loved seeing a woman who values herself enough to give the Bachelor the boot!! Also, it wasn't clear whether Kristin dumped him solely for his man-whore comment or because she was generally unimpressed with him.

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    For once, I can't wait for the reunion show.

Quote Originally Posted by froglady
    Really? I loved seeing a woman who values herself enough to give the Bachelor the boot!! Also, it wasn't clear whether Kristin dumped him solely for his man-whore comment or because she was generally unimpressed with him.
    I agree completely--as I said elsewhere, Kristin was my favorite, because her reaction showed she was there for the right reason (and Jesse wasn't it). My point was that people were down on Kristin for what they perceived as her negative reaction to his sleaziness, but were also reacting negatively to Trish's sleaziness. That could be seen as a double standard.

Believe that Trish is one of those people who doesn't have appropriate boundaries. She is probably disliked by many people and reacts to that by being outrageous and pretending not to care. I would guess a major dysfunctional upbringing!

You've got it, glowgirl! It does appear that Trish may have some psychological problems - usually women who are very promiscuous (sp?) have some major self-esteem issues... They may act very self confident, but really aren't. Plus, I think she's desperate for attention.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast