+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is with the double standard?

This is just my opinion, but I really don't care how many men she has slept with, or if she is a gold-digging whore (her own words). My problem is the fact that she slept with a married man. That says alot about someone's values as far as marriage is concerned. I'm sure all the other girls are not "virgins" (although maybe some are, but they have the class not to go on tv and spout off about how many partners they have had. Game or no game, she didn't have to reveal that, it was her choice and she knew it could be broadcast to millions of people. The comment that really made me dislike her was the "dirty children" comment.

The confusion for me is how we herald the "Samantha's" (think Sex in the City) of the world when they are a character on television and think "I wish I could be more like that, but I wasn't raised that way", but you put the same personality on a reality dating show and the fur flies. I don't particularly care for Trish, but that's because I've never been a huge fan of braggarts and I still want to believe in the "love conquers all" theory. It's all those damn fairy tales as a kid I guess. In this situation, Trish's M.O. when she got on the show was to try and intimidate the rest of the ladies with brutal honesty. She wasn't expecting a mole in the house.

Also, did you see Jesse shift gears at the opera when she started talking about not particularly wanting kids, etc. You could visibly see him trying to conceal the [mod edit]-eating-grin when she said it. They are two of a kind, but Jesse is in the unfortunate position of having to play like he's looking for his soul mate. That's what the show is all about...right?
    Last edited by John; 05-06-2004 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea1994
    My problem is the fact that she slept with a married man.

I believe that is what makes Jenny despise Trish enough to give Jesse that ultimatum we saw in previews.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    I don't think it's the fact that Trish has so many notches on the thigh high boots, it's just that she brags about it , and is a SELF described "money grubbing gold digging whore." If any guy on the show came up with that statement , I'll bet you'd hear some howling.
    True, I didn't even think about that part, the bragging thing. I was on the phone with my mom when that episode was on and we were both like "ummm did she really just say that?". I was thinking to myself, gee I bet Mom would be way proud if I went on TV and blurted that out.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adm
    If Jesse had made a comment like "I have had plenty of HOT A$$ in my time, so I'm not going to settle for just any old cow," that would put him more on line with Trish. Even though he didn't, he's still a boob.
    DARN YOU I just spit out my drink laughing so hard

Quote Originally Posted by Six Degrees
    When Trish said she'd "had a lot of experience" maybe she just meant dating, life in general, or even dated one or two hot shot men for a long time and was exposed to numerous incidences of bad behaviour.

Also, we don't know that Trish is 'bragging', according to the promo, the girls are playing a game of "I Never" so maybe she's just going along in admitting past behaviour. It's very possible the Jenny S. {i'm on record as not liking the Mole idea} started the game for the express purpose of bringing out this type of thing. Get a group of same sex folks in a room together, give them nothing else to do [remember they get no contact with the outside world] and an open bar, and the likelihood of sex discussion is high.

Jesse never had to get as specific as "I don't like waking up next to a stranger," he could have just said "I am ready to find Miss Right" or "Yes, I've had my fun, but I'm looking to setle down now."

Here's another "editing" thought--how is it that we know only Trish's history and nobody elses? Is it possible that every other girl is either a virgin or has only had a small number of partners with whom she was in a committed relationship?

Or is it only Trish's past that the viewers are privy to?

Sounds to me like she should have done some studying (or at least hired someone to do it for her )...she should know that a huge part of what goes on w/this show is editing. If you don't want something taken out of context, because often it is, then you shouldn't say it....give the show something to use against you and they will.
    Last edited by sportsfan23; 04-16-2004 at 03:09 PM.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan23
    Sounds to me like she should have done some studying (or at least hired someone to do it for her )...she should know that a huge part of what goes on w/this show is editing. If you don't want something taken out of context, because often it is, then you shouldn't say it....give the show something to use against you and they will.
    Yes, but you have to wonder how much they really edited out of Jesse's lovely dinner table comments - as someone else pointed out 5 out of the 6 girls on that date were NOT chosen at the RC. I think he said a lot more than they showed us, stuff that was much more inflammatory than "I've slept around," and I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone called him out on the whole "I want to go into sportscasting" comments that he made in that same interview. This guy has "media ho" written all over him.

Can we all say... Guiney?
    Sometimes you just gotta jump and build your wings on the way down.

Crystal Allen

Editing

While it's true that editing can't put in something that did not happen, consider other instances where editing has drastically changed the viewers' perception.

Remember in "Joe Millionaire" where Sarah and Evan are walking in the woods and the voiceover is played of her saying "lie down, it'll make this easier" and it turns out that she'd said those words to Melissa when she was giving her a backrub? Or Elyse from "Americas Next Top Model" said in an interview that she was asked to name one good thing and one bad thing about each contestant, but all they showed was her saying bad tings about everyone.

So for all we know, other girls copped to having slept with married men, too but we never saw that. Or during the kitchen scene where she talked about marrying rich and having a nanny, for all we know 3 other girls were nodding in agreement. Or maybe another girl started a conversation about the numbers of men they'd slept with, and one girl admitted to having slept with 25 men, and got harshed on by the others and Trish said "oh, I've slept with 35" just to take the heat off somebody else.

adm
    You're right, we've caught Fleiss doing some unscrupulous editing before, but I have a feeling if any of the other girls had copped to the same kind of past or wanting the same kind of future as Trish, the spy would've outed them too.

I agree with whoever said that Trish is on a campaign to use all of her up-front sexuality to intimidate the other girls. Which means one of two things -- either she is a bi*ch and will do anything (including making herself out to be a slut on national tv) in order to win, OR, she's clever enough to have caught on to the reality-tv romance show formula, and knows that by being the "bad girl" she'll stay around almost to the end -- and she's just out for publicity anyways. Either way, she is knowingly and intentionally making herself look trashy. She doesn't get an excuse because she didn't know there would be a spy. I find it hard to believe she missed the great big camera that was recording her behavior for posterity (and her posterier for posterity).

I don't think that the substance of what either Trish or Jesse said should make them social outcasts or per se unworthy of being loved, but the fact that they said, in the contexts in which they said it, makes them tactless and stupid. And in Trish's case, the way she said it, and the fact that she said it in order to draw attention to herself, makes her even worse.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adm
    Which means one of two things -- either she is a bi*ch and will do anything (including making herself out to be a slut on national tv) in order to win, OR, she's clever enough to have caught on to the reality-tv romance show formula, and knows that by being the "bad girl" she'll stay around almost to the end -- and she's just out for publicity anyways.

Hmmm very interesting theory. I'm starting to wonder, is anyone actually going on these shows for the intended purpose anymore, or is it all to further their "careers"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast