+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Which past contestant would you like as Bachelor/Bachelorette?

Re: Which past contestant would you like as Bachelor/Bachelorette?

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;2423091;
    He wrote a whole series of articles for the Aspen Daily News. I think those articles are the best ever written about this show. It doesnt even matter that it's about Jen's season. He's so damn funny and articulate that you really get invaluable insight into what the group of men/women are going through.Aspen Daily News | Aspen, Colorado
    I really don't remember that much about this guy..but I will take your word for it....the only one that I really remember from Jen's season was Fabrice...lmao. and thats only cause of the jerk he made of himself..but I didn't pay too much attention to her season to begin with...it all seemed so false somehow..which it turned out to be :nono

What about that guy Jay that was with Byron when the show first started and the girls picked between them..he didnt' seem bad and he has already passed all of ABC's tests..lol but I don't know what his situation is at this time
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;2423070;
    My absolute, hands down favorite - Ben Sands from Jen's season. The anti-bachelor. OK, he went to Duke. But let's not hold that against him.

Oh, we finally agree on something!!!

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Ben! I am so glad he didn't get put through the ringer by Jen (ala Jerry and John Paul!)! That would be a great Bachelor season.

Butterfly
    I really don't remember that much about this guy..but I will take your word for it.
    Dont. Dont take my word for it - read his articles in the Aspen Daily News. Maybe I'll post a link to all of them to make it easier for folks to read them. Hilarious, insightful,wonderfully articulate.
    Bachelor not a fan of reality tv: Aspen Daily News | Aspen, Colorado
    Bachelor shares thoughts on intimacy: Aspen Daily News | Aspen, Colorado
    Bachelor writes his Tv obituary:Aspen Daily News | Aspen, Colorado
    Ben Tells All: Aspen Daily News | Aspen, Colorado
    Here is the first one: Bachelor not a fan of reality tv:
    Bachelor not a fan of reality TV

Print This Page

Blue Tent Marketing
    Ben Sands -
    11/13/2004 21:04 MST

Editor's note: This is the second in a series of columns that Ben Sands is writing for the Aspen Daily News. Sands is vying for Jen Schefft's affections on the reality television program, "The Bachelorette," which airs tonight at 8 p.m. on ABC. At the end of the column is a brief question-and-answer segment conducted by Aspen Daily News Associate Editor Troy Hooper, who reviews last week's episode.

By Ben Sands

TO TELL THE TRUTH, I've never been a fan of reality television. To me it has always seemed comparable to a televised car crash. The embarrassment I feel for some of the characters is usually enough to make me change the channel until the awkward moments have passed. Considering this, my decision to participate in such a show might lead one to believe that I am either an idiot or a glutton for punishment ... maybe a little of both?

Considering the carnage to come, it was interesting that the morning after the first rose ceremony the remaining 15 guys all seemed to understand the inherent peril of our situation. We were eating breakfast at a small diner and I was struck by how realistic and rational everyone appeared to be in this undeniably unrealistic and irrational situation: 15 guys were competing to date the same girl. Certainly no one seemed overly confident regarding his chances. At the same time, no one seemed overly concerned, either.

We moved into the house later that day. It was quite a spread: A $15 million dollar home in West Village. Four floors, three outdoor patios, a gourmet kitchen and a ping-pong table - it would certainly suffice. I didn't have much time to settle in though because I was scheduled to be a part of the first date: a sightseeing tour of Manhattan and moonlit cruise on the Hudson. Being most recently from New York City, I was excited to see the place I had left a little over three years ago. As far as my date was concerned and my prospects with Jen, I commented that it was like "heading to the hill on a powder day; you've got five inches outside your door, but you don't know how much is up top until you get there. ... You know it's going to be good, but just not sure how good." Interestingly, that didn't make it to TV. I guess the analogy doesn't translate in the major metro markets.

Well, in true no-screwing-around-major-television-production style, Jen picked us up in her own private double-decker Gray Line bus. Very cool. There were seven guys including myself on the date and we all headed up to the top deck for our tour of the city. As we worked our way slowly through the downtown and midtown sections of New York, everyone talked a little about what they did, who they were and so on. Times Square was the most interesting. The energy - made manifest in a sea of light, color and sound - was infectious and the overall liveliness of the group immediately increased. Interestingly, as we drove through the city, tourists and passersby on the street started to recognize Jen, calling up to her and us from the street level. It was a true C-list celebrity experience.

The bus made its way over to Chelsea Piers where we boarded the "Eastern Star," a restored 1970s yacht upon which we would dine while seeing the city from the Hudson. We sat down with Jen on the deck - a hot chocolate and Bailey's mixture in our coffee cups - and the formalities of the bus ride were quickly discarded. Almost immediately the topic turned the demise of her relationship with Andrew Firestone (the former Bachelor and her former fiancée). As I heard the questions being asked, I grimaced (change the channel, change the channel!) - Did we really need to bring one more guy along on this date? Jen was a little taken aback as well, but she fielded the subject gracefully and tactfully.

After a bit, Jen started meeting with the guys in a one-on-one setting. Fabrice got the first time alone with her. He has a tendency to gesticulate wildly as he speaks so it was fairly entertaining to observe. My time alone with Jen came later, the sun had faded and the city was aglow in electric light. She and I came back outside after dinner and cuddled up under a few blankets on the deck. She's a tough girl but I suspect she would prefer cocktails in the Sundeck to skiing on a snowy powder day - the cold just isn't her thing, so we also had a little space heater under the bench seat. The conversation came easily and covered the gamut from family to future. Did I say "public office?" (Change the channel, change the channel!) After 15 or so minutes of talking, she didn't really make an impression on me and I wasn't sure if I made an impression on her, but the whole thing was pleasant. The jury was still out.

Then came the carnage.

Stu and I were sharing a room in the house with a couple of other guys and although it was clear that he was "smitten," he is a genuinely nice guy with a great heart. Of course, we weren't privy to his one-on-one conversations with Jen at the time. "Vanilla or chocolate?" "Crunchy or creamy?" "Alpine or telis?" Sure, in retrospect, those are all probably questions for the second date but Stu's intentions were pure and in talking with him afterwards he just wanted to make sure he told Jen how he felt when he had the opportunity.

Mark got perhaps the most unfair shake in the history of reality TV. Mark was the one guy who would fit in perfectly in Aspen. Funny, outgoing, charismatic and a huge Panic fan to boot. His gift took the whole house totally by surprise when we learned about it the following morning. Up until that point, Mark had never expressed an overt fondness for Jen. His comment that had everyone laughing prior to the rose ceremony was that, regardless of the outcome, we all could expect "boy-band ass" at the end of this. Of course, the gift was probably a little premature but, like Stu, I think he may have felt a greater sense of urgency than others at that point.

The rose ceremony was fairly compelling. It was easier than the first as everyone now knew what to expect but, looking around at the other 14 guys in the room, I was struck by how difficult Jen's decision was. At that point I knew most of the guys well and respected every one of them. Jen looked ravishing in a snappy red dress, and as she came up the stairs to begin her selection, her smile was radiant. It didn't last. Her glow faded with each rose she passed. She seemed to be struggling with the process, probably reading the angst on the faces of my peers. She delivered final rose in an almost inaudible whisper, "Josh." It was a dramatic moment.

I said goodbye to some great friends that night, Mike and Jason in particular. I was frankly shocked that they weren't staying and I felt that Jen had made a big mistake in letting them go. Did it help my position? Maybe, as I thought those two would have made excellent companions for Jen. But then again, maybe I misunderstood what Jen was looking for. Those were my thoughts as the final eight guys sat around the kitchen table in the early morning hours, drinking our celebratory champagne.

Hooper: "You seem to be giving your brethren the benefit of the doubt. Some of these guys seem like complete kooks. Stu is widely referred to as "the stalker," Mark gave Jen some kind of replica of his dead mother's pendant and Matt asked her for her autograph. Her autograph Ben! How can you defend these guys?"

Sands: "You've got to give them the benefit of the doubt. You can criticize them (and me) for subjecting themselves to this type of scrutiny in the first place. It's easy to say that anyone going on one of these shows is 'asking for it.' But in their defense, you can't exaggerate the unique nature of this experience - it's a first date unlike any you've ever been on and clearly certain guys felt a greater sense of urgency to make an impression."

Hooper: "I've known you for a few years. While I'm sure you'd be successful in public office, I've never heard you mention it before. Where did that come from?"

Sands: "Some have speculated that I was just trying to placate my parents - lead them to believe that I am going to put my Duke public policy degree to work one day. But truthfully I have always been interested in running for public office. I've always imagined that coming later in life but, now that you mention it, when's Torre's term up?"

Hooper: "You are often seen sitting next to Jen. How did you pull that off?"

Sands: "A good friend tells me that success is often a matter of luck and timing. I suppose I had both."

Hooper: "At this point in the series, did you feel like you were pulling away from the competition?"

Sands: "I wasn't quite ready to call her friends for a ring size, but I was comfortable enough."

hoop@aspendailynews.com
    And the third one: Bachelor writes his tv obit:
    Bachelor writes his TV obituary

Print This Page

Blue Tent Marketing
    Ben Sands -
    11/30/2004 23:08 MST

Editor's note: This is the fourth in a series of columns that Ben Sands is writing for the Aspen Daily News. He had been competing for Jen Schefft's affections on the reality television program "The Bachelorette," which airs tonight at 8 p.m. on ABC. At the end of the column, is a brief question-and-answer segment conducted by Associate Editor Troy Hooper who reviews the final episode.

"It's not the critic who counts. ... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood."

I had been reading a biography of Teddy Roosevelt throughout the filming of the show and, as I stood and silently toed the patterned rug in front of me, Roosevelt's words echoed in my head. Well, clearly we were in the arena (perhaps a bit more carefully appointed than the Coliseum but an arena nonetheless), and the blood was about to spill.

The night before, our arena had been the deserted, early-morning streets of Manhattan. A race to the top of the Empire State Building: A beautiful woman and romantic date awaited the first man to the top. A little cliché to be sure, but we were all ready for some healthy competition.

One-on-one dates, "connection," "chemistry" -- none of that mattered as Wendell, John Paul and I tore down the streets of Little Italy looking for the nearest cab. Both a romantic and an optimist, I had no doubt that I could talk my way into a free ride uptown. As the first cab pulled up, however, I immediately realized the difficulty of the task at hand: I wasn't dealing with the staff of Mountain Taxi. My story was going to have to resonate on an emotional level, while at the same time crossing cultural barriers. I was not only going to have to communicate my plight, but I was also going to have to explain why a guy from the Eastern Bloc should care. Two cabs later I finally got it right and heard (miraculously, it seemed) the glorious "OK, get in." We piled in: A camera guy, producer, sound guy and the naive 26-year-old ski instructor from Aspen, Colorado -- on our way to see how this extraordinary adventure would play out.

For a mere $30,000 you can rent the Empire State Building for a night so, with the exception of a few security personnel, the lobby was deserted when I arrived. I ran through the lobby looking for the bank of elevators and waited impatiently as the special Otis sped me up towards the observation deck. During the short ride to the top of the world, I caught my breath and caught myself smiling at the sheer absurdity of the situation I was in.

Wendell was smiling, too. In fact, his smile couldn't have been bigger. When I came around the corner, that toothy grin was all I saw. Jen and he sat on a luxurious couch, a bottle of bubbly on ice in front of them. I was just a little late. The night was over. Perhaps I appeared "defeated" but I was genuinely happy for Wendell: If it couldn't be me, I wanted it to be him. As he said the following morning, "It was just (his) night."

Now, the following evening, came my night -- the night I had looked forward to with both dread and anticipation since this long journey had begun over five months ago. The bloodletting began, of course, with Fabrice. Since the last Rose Ceremony, Fabrice had become increasing detached from the group, both emotionally and physically. Considering this, and his penchant for melodrama, we all knew that something was coming. The scope and the length of the monologue, however, took us all by surprise. How everyone held back the laughter, I'm not sure, but with a final, "I don't want to marry you, Jen!" Fabrice, "Frenchy," was gone.

We moved on and, 15 minutes later, just one rose remained in front of the Bachelorette. Jen stood at the center of the room, painfully deliberating to whom to give it: John Paul or me. Whether her apparent indecision was real or simply for dramatic effect, I don't know. But during those moments of hesitation I had a brief epiphany. I looked around the room and saw four guys with a conviction that the woman in front of them might one day be their wife. I had no such conviction and realized, as Jen's eyes darted from one to the other, that I was no longer meant to be there. Up until that point, hubris, that most classic of fatal flaws, had blinded me from this obvious truth. This was supposed to happen and it needed to happen. As I relaxed my pride, I felt the sense of foreboding that had previously gripped me, slip silently away. "John Paul," she whispered, and it was done.

Roosevelt continues, "The credit belongs to the man ... who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Prior to heading into the final rose ceremony, I shared this quote with Ryan, Jerry, Wendell and John Paul. We all agreed, that while this was no conquest of San Juan Hill, it had been a truly formidable experience in our lives. We then drank, tequila this time, to friendship, fate and, of course, to love.

Hooper: "Bummer about getting bounced. But Jen looked pretty short on TV. How short was she?"

Sands: "Maybe 5'4" or so. I can never tell with the heels."

Hooper: "You put on a good show the other night. My phone is ringing off the hook and my e-mail inbox looks like the letters page for Teen Magazine. One girl actually tracked down my cell phone number wanting to know how to get in touch with you. Other media outlets are also calling. How did you manage to stir everyone into such a frenzy?"

Sands: "Not sure. I thought I did a pretty good job of staying under the radar for most of the show."

Hooper: "Do you think you were portrayed accurately on the show?"

Sands: "Yeah, I am a quiet guy who generally takes his time with women and relationships. I think that accurately came across, particularly in the final episode."

Hooper: "How has your life changed from this show? Do you think it will follow you around for eternity?"

Sands: "My life has certainly become more interesting. Any shred of anonymity I once enjoyed is gone and I get a dozen or so phone calls each day from random women around the country. Fortunately, my notoriety is fleeting. I'm sure there will be a reckoning at my rehearsal dinner one day down the road, but I think for the most part, this will all soon be forgotten."

Hooper: "If the producers asked you, would you entertain the idea of being the next 'Bachelor'?"

Sands: "This is something I did for a story. I've got one. I'm ready to meet a girl the old-fashioned way now."

Ben wants to thank everyone both in Aspen and across the country their kind words and support over the past few weeks. He'll be back in a couple of weeks following the "Men Tell All" special with one final column. Comments, criticism and/or gossip about his personal life may be sent to ben@aspendailynews.com We may or may not forward it on to him.
    Last edited by pajamasam; 05-29-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Ah, pajamasam, great minds and all.

The problem is that now we've been spoiled. With this past season, we had more complexity (oxymoron, I know, but even with the obligatory "dumbing down, we had more complexity of thought and emotion).

I used to be opposed on some fundamental level to the recycling of bachelor/ettes, but now I think I've changed my mind. Reason being, so much is edited out of the stories (Tessa and Andy, case in point) that at least we know a bit more of one of their stories if the narrative continues.

So, yes, Ben gets my vote as well.

quality not quantity

Well, pajamasam and bamabrain - there must be 3 great minds here - . I thought Ben was absolutely delightful!!! Looks and all that go just so far. Give me a man with a sharp intellect, any time!!!

His articles were FABULOUS. Thanks for resurrecting them. It will be a joy to re-read them.

Quote Originally Posted by soccermom2;2423187;
    Well, pajamasam and bamabrain - there must be 3 great minds here - . I thought Ben was absolutely delightful!!! Looks and all that go just so far. Give me a man with a sharp intellect, any time!!!

His articles were FABULOUS. Thanks for resurrecting them. It will be a joy to re-read them.
    Not to mention that he is totally Hot!!!!!!

I read all of his articles - aspendaily news and in the Duke paper back in the day. But it is indeed an absolute joy to re read them now. What a neat guy. Actually way too cool for this show. Ben - try for the Amazing Race!

Ben was one of my favorites that horrible season but unfortunately the thing we like about him is what would stop him from doing the show. I think it would be hard to find a previous bachelor that would be serious about finding someone so doubt they'll recycle one.

I like Danielle from last season, Sadie, and Jehan. Other than Sadie, they're probably a good age but not sure they'd make a good bachelorette. It's so hard to tell because most of us though Jen Scheft would be good.

quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by ldcook77;2423106;

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Ben! I am so glad he didn't get put through the ringer by Jen (ala Jerry and John Paul!)! That would be a great Bachelor season.

Oops - sorry ld - missed your post. Didn't mean to leave you out of the great minds group.

Ben was magnificent!

ldcook
    I think we'd probably agree on more than you think.

+ Reply to Thread