+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian's interview on Brazilian mag

FORT Newbie

Ian's interview on Brazilian mag

Hey all, as you can see I'm new here. Well in this week edition of one of the most important mags in Brazil there is a report about the reality shows fever and an interview with, as the mag says, the most famous Brazilian guy in US right now :rolleyes .
    It's a small interview and not very revealling but if anyone is interested I can try and translate fou you, with my perfect English as you can see, well at least I try, right .
    I can't wait to see the show, but it looks like I will have to wait until May
    Ok, wrote too much already.
    Tchau.........

FORT Newbie
    Yes, please translate the interview. I'm sure you will do a much better job than what the Babel Fish translator (http://world.altavista.com/) usually gives us. If there's an online link to the interview, please post that also. Thank you.

Welcome to the FORT! It would be great it you could translate the interview for us.

FORT Newbie
    Ok guys sorry for de delay, it's just that I have so much work this week.... but I will try to do it at the end of the day.
    Talk to you soon (I hope),
    Tchau......

FORT Newbie
    Ok Guys here is the interview. I did the best I could, sorry for the mistakes. Hope you like.

"the profit edge is astronomical"

Economist Ian McKee, 29 years, is currently the most known Brazilian in the United States or perhaps in all the times. In seven weeks, he disputed with 24 rivals and won the heart of the makep artist and model Meredith Phillips. Everything under the eyes of the cameras from the show The Bachelorette, that had an average of 13,5 million viewers for episode. Son of American father and Swedish mother, but born in São Paulo, he gave up a job in Wall Street to travel the world. Now he talks with the reporter Tania Menai about the behind the scenes of the reality show.

VEJA - Do you like these kind of shows?
    McKee - I never watched a reality show and I don't intend to watch it. For me, it became clear that reality shows are a type of program whose edge of profit for the network is astronomical, if compared to series that demand a team of scriptwriters, writers and good actors. Each actor of shows like Seinfeld and Friends used to make a million dollars for episode. In The Bachelorette we don't make anything, not even for the right of use of our image. The viewers of this type of show are adults between 18 and 49 years, women, in its majority. They are a gold mine for the advertisers.The network does not have a more easy formula to make money. So much that, soon will be launched a chanel here dedicated entirely to reality shows. Can you imagine, 24 hours a day living somebody else's life? I never would watch such a thing.

VEJA - You maded pretty clear from the start that you would not ask for her hand in marriage. But the production of the show did not demand this? McKee - No. It doesn't have a script, we do not have to memorize lines and the end of the show is in open until the last minute.

VEJA - Despite the name, reality shows aren't very Real. The magical scene of the show, dinners, parties and mansions. This create an artificially romantic scenario, right?
    McKee - The life on television can seen very magical. But behind the scenes the opposite occurs. Our talks are constantly interrupted, we are always questioned about how we are feeling. The show has a psychologist not only to help us but to assist the producers regarding the ways that they must follow during the show.

VEJA - Your behavior was manipulated in any form?
    McKee - No. However, when we were interviewed one by one before the camera, they made definitive questions until obtaining the reply that they desired. It did not import how much time delayed or if they needed to serve some more drinks. They tried everything until obtaining what they wanted.

VEJA - You didn't receive any payment to be on the show?
    McKee - No.I am more broken now than I was before. We receive a 100 dollars check here and there, nothing moreover. On the other hand, Meredith, that will soon start in a course to be chef, has received good financial proposals from cosmetic companies.

VEJA - Without counting the engagement ring in the value of 75 000 dollars that you gave to her.
    McKee - Yes. Pay for the ABC, of course.

FORT Newbie
    I'm from Brasil, thank you so much for translating the interview. It was very interesting as well as informative. It sure sounds like Ian may had a few discussions with ABC about money. Maybe that is why they gave them the trip to Sao Paulo.

Thanks so much for the translation, I'm from Brasil!

And Welcome to the FORT!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

"The profit edge is astronomical"

When you look at reality shows this way (that TPTB are using people as unpaid actors), do you blame anyone, even Bob, for becoming media whores? If you feel used by TPTB, wouldn't you feel even a little justified for using them back?

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Thanks so much!

I found this bit interesting:

VEJA - Your behavior was manipulated in any form?
    McKee - No. However, when we were interviewed one by one before the camera, they made definitive questions until obtaining the reply that they desired. It did not import how much time delayed or if they needed to serve some more drinks. They tried everything until obtaining what they wanted.
    I support the right to arm bears.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm from Brasil
    Our talks are constantly interrupted, we are always questioned about how we are feeling. The show has a psychologist not only to help us but to assist the producers regarding the ways that they must follow during the show.
    And this is particularly interesting to me as well. *Shock* There really is no such thing as "reality TV". It is "reality-based TV"
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast