Thread: Edit Analysis *SPOILERS*

Re: Edit Analysis *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3818181;
    One more thing I picked up in re-watching the first episode is that Ali told Jake in her first 1:1 that she HAD not flown for almost 8 years and that she had missed vacations, cruises, etc. because she did not fly.

Chris Harrison said that Ali HASN'T flown because of a fear of flying. The way that CH said it implies that she still will not fly because of fear of flying. The way I understood it from Ali is that her fear was behind her, at least enough so that she could fly again.

In watching the season previews from the first episode, it almost looks like Ali is kissing Jake in a romantic, resort-type setting and that she's neither wearing the yellow dress from her first 1:1 nor the purple dress from the second 1:1. Is it possible that there is no rose ceremony because all four women get to go to St. Lucia, but that Ali takes herself out of the running before that Rose Ceremony? It doesn't make sense if she still shows up for the Rose Ceremony after her HTD if she has already expressed that she doesn't want to continue on with Jake.
    I believe that is at the mansion if it is the SC that I am thinking of - and it was not shown during the show either
    WHEW - Hang IN & Hang ON

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3817922;
    They do not want to show the "good" side of Vienna in the edit; therefore, we don't see included the screencaps where she has her arms intertwined with the other girls. We don't see where Corrie hugged her first on the way out, and we don't see where Vienna cooked or painted other girls' toenails.
    Pdilly1 wrote about a condensed version of what Vienna's stepmom wrote in an effort to debunk what the ex-MIL and ex-husband have been saying. Someone posted the long version of this on the Media thread by bringing it over from Jokers (I believe), and it was quickly deleted.

Anyway, my point here has to do with the Edit. Just like Bloomers said, TPTB did not want to show the "good" side of Vienna or they would have. They have really gone out of their way to trash her with the edit she is getting, even using some not-so-nice comments about Vienna made by CH himself in one of his earlier EW blogs. TPTB have used the Media to pull in large audiences, and now CH is acting all high and mighty and indignant that all these "lies" are being written about Vienna in US magazine. They are the ones who created the Vienna that we, the viewers, are seeing. Had she not been edited the way that THEY CHOSE to edit her and instead gave her a kinder and gentler edit, do you think that Vienna would be getting all of the media attention that she is getting now? I think not.

Just for the record, personally I don't like the Vienna that I am seeing on the show, but I have no doubt that we are only being shown exactly what TPTB want us to see.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 02-04-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capegal;3818250;
    I believe that is at the mansion if it is the SC that I am thinking of - and it was not shown during the show either
    I wonder if that poster is referring to this pic?: If so, it's from a RC at the mansion like you said CG. If not, then ignore this post.

Roberto: "Ali wakes me up in the middle of the night to tell me she's dreaming about puppies... The smile on her face was priceless."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;3818350;
    Pdilly1 wrote about a condensed version of what Vienna's stepmom wrote in an effort to debunk what the ex-MIL and ex-husband have been saying. Someone posted the long version of this on the Media thread by bringing it over from Jokers (I believe), and it was quickly deleted.

Anyway, my point here has to do with the Edit. Just like Bloomers said, TPTB did not want to show the "good" side of Vienna or they would have. They have really gone out of their way to trash her with the edit she is getting, even using some not-so-nice comments about Vienna made by CH himself in one of his earlier EW blogs. TPTB have used the Media to pull in large audiences, and now CH is acting all high and mighty and indignant that all these "lies" are being written about Vienna in US magazine. They are the ones who created the Vienna that we, the viewers, are seeing. Had she not been edited the way that THEY CHOSE to edit her and instead gave her a kinder and gentler edit, do you think that Vienna would be getting all of the media attention that she is getting now? I think not.

Just for the record, personally I don't like the Vienna that I am seeing on the show, but I have not doubt that we are only being shown exactly what TPTB want us to see
    You are on the money. I am wondering if they are now thinking that they let their edit and spin get a little too out of control? Is that why we are hearing Chris Harrison going in behind and really trying to patch up behind them - Chris Harrison who is also an employee of the same bunch who overly trashed her to begin with?

The outside stuff, of course, is bad, but the edit has been ridiculous. We were shown this girl who basically had the "loose lips that could sink the ship". She talked way too much about herself and her date with Jake. She didn't think of what it was going to sound like before she said it, and she talked behind others' backs ( I guess worse than they did behind hers...).
    As I have told kids over the years, "What goes on in your head, does not necessarily need to come out of your mouth."
    Whatever she was thinking came out of her mouth, unfiltered, and with a lack of diplomacy.
    However, she was not mean spirited, cruel, conniving, or devious.
    Her mouth was her problem, and granted it was a problem. However, she was not Attila the Hun by any stretch.

Now what did the edit try in a quick and stupid move to do? In their ABC preview clips, they tried to make her into a sophisticated maneating vixen that had Jake wrapped around her claws.

In their zest and enthusiasm, somebody went way over the top, and now they have to go back and do some damage control.

On a lighter note, Chris Harrison is having to earn his money! In days of old his primary job was just to do his little shots on the show. Now he has to do all kinds of PR work, including damage control.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3818394;
    You are on the money. I am wondering if they are now thinking that they let their edit and spin get a little too out of control? Is that why we are hearing Chris Harrison going in behind and really trying to patch up behind them - Chris Harrison who is also an employee of the same bunch who overly trashed her to begin with?

The outside stuff, of course, is bad, but the edit has been ridiculous. We were shown this girl who basically had the "loose lips that could sink the ship". She talked way too much about herself and her date with Jake. She didn't think of what it was going to sound like before she said it, and she talked behind others' backs ( I guess worse than they did behind hers...).
    As I have told kids over the years, "What goes on in your head, does not necessarily need to come out of your mouth."
    Whatever she was thinking came out of her mouth, unfiltered, and with a lack of diplomacy.
    Her mouth was her problem, and granted it was a problem. However, she was not Attila the Hun by any stretch.

Now what did the edit try in a quick and stupid move to do? In their ABC preview clips, they tried to make her into a sophisticated maneating vixen that had Jake wrapped around her claws.

In their zest and enthusiasm, somebody went way over the top, and now they have to go back and do some damage control.

On a lighter note, Chris Harrison is having to earn his money! In days of old his primary job was just to do his little shots on the show. Now he has to do all kinds of PR work, including damage control.
    They might do some damage control, but it will probably be very little. If the stuff exists out there that so many claim is even worse, the edited Vienna might seem like Mary Poppins. This gal probably had no idea how miserable her life was going to become because she went on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3818394;

Bloomers, I definitely think that TPTB have created a "monster" that is spinning out of control, and they know it. Since they have CH backpedalling a little bit and have him coming forward to defend Vienna, I believe that they realize that they have gone too far. Sadly, the damage is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;3818418;
    Bloomers, I definitely think that TPTB have created a "monster" that is spinning out of control, and they know it. Since they have CH backpedalling a little bit and have him coming forward to defend Vienna, I believe that they realize that they have gone too far. Sadly, the damage is done.
    I'm not sure I believe they think they have gone too far (or have any kind of remorse for having done it in the first place); I think they are more in CYA mode, and don't want to look like the bad guys piling on a young, foolish and irresponsible girl. The more I think about it, the more I think they orchestrated this whole thing, manipulating "virtuous" Jake to choose the one who was least appropriate for him in order to humiliate them both for maximum viewer outrage and maximum ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;3818418;
    Are they doing damage control because the couple is still together? Why would TPTB care what they do to Vienna if they were broken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3818028;
    I honestly think Ali's exit at the hometown date RC was predetermined.
    You are right, her edit strikingly matches Graham's. What I wonder though if ABC scripted her to leave at final 4 so she can be bachelorette. If Ali tells Jake she is leaving because of her job how could she possibly reconcile that with her reasons for becoming the next bachelorette. She will have to either quit her job like Jillian or get a leave of absence which I highly doubt they will give her to film a bachelorette season. Is she being disengenuious like Wes and his reasons for being on the show to begin with or did this occur all accidentally? hmmmm..... Personally I hope Gia is the next bachelorette!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobslueth;3818446;
    Are they doing damage control because the couple is still together? Why would TPTB care what they do to Vienna if they were broken up.
    Indeed why Noobslueth!!!! Is this Jake's way of getting ABC to cover Vienna's back since he cannot come right out and say anything until the final rose ceremony is shown. Vienna is certainly the most sincere of the girls in her feelings about Jake and hopefully if they are together or not all this digging into her past will cease soon. Maybe Jason & Molly's wedding in March will help ease this negative press for Vienna & Jake they deserve to be happy too.
    If Jillian & Ed can survive the press storm they went through I hope Jake & Vienna will be able to do the same. I am worried for Vienna, she seems more vulnerable due to her age.