Thread: Edit Analysis *SPOILERS*

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Edit Analysis *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by C4Real;3806153;
    That's what's confusing me Jelle. Unless Tenley's edit changes soon I'm tempted to think that Ali still figures into the situation somehow. Perhaps Ali is F1 and Vienna is F2 (via a twist at the end)?
    That's what I've been saying as well--the Vienna/Ali matchup doesn't make sense if it climaxes at the F4 ceremony. I think IF Ali didn't factor in at all to the ending, then they could have edited it more so that Tenley was viewed as the instigator against Vienna, thus setting them up for the FRC showdown. I'm sure somewhere on the cutting room floor they've got footage of Tenley saying something about Vienna and they would have used it.

So...this is what's leading some of us to think that there's something else Ali-related that may play out in the ending.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47;3806260;
    Look at Reid's storyline last season. We only had small segments of him until his 1:1 (epi right before HTD's). That is when his story took off - and lasted right until the end.

I think we will see an advancement with Tenley this week. Her storyline will build in preparation for Ali's departure. I bet her SQT with Jake at the Madonna Inn could be where we see a kiss with her that is a little more passionate. Tenley is filling the character in the storyline that Jake describes as what he wants in a woman. In comparison once again to last season, Jill described a man with alot of characteristics Reid had; i.e., appreciative of art, architecture, fine wine, recognized importance of family, etc. There were many that were stumped because Jill seemed to describe Reid to a T, and then selected someone different. This season Tenley fits alot of Jake's descriptors, but we know that is not what he will select in the end. When Jake rejects Tenley at FRC and Vienna is the last one standing, many will be shocked before Vienna even gets out of the limo.
    I think that's the key as to how the audience get's sucked in to picking the wrong girl. Jillian really wasn't looking for the kind of guy she described, she still wants to party and that's why Ed was chosen. Think back to Matt's season, he was billed as the Bach who was ready to settle down and start a family young as his dad wasn't well... NOT. We thought Amanda was perfect for what he said he wanted, but Shayne was actually perfect for him as he was a fame whore just like her and had no plan to settle down. In Deanna's season, Jason was groomed to be the kind of guy she wanted right from the get-go, it seemed to match her heartbroken persona from Brad's season so it was easy to see why she'd pick him.... NOT she really wanted to launch a career and Jason and his son were just too complicated for her. They seem to do this lots, get us to pick out the person we think is best for them based on a bunch of BS and list that is made up of lies.

The key to figuring out the edit and everything else, is to not believe a word said about the Bach and what he says he wants in a girl and what his reasons are for doing the show. My opinion is that Jake wants to be adored, not just by one girl but the masses. I think he's a nice enough guy and he doesn't want to hurt anybody in the end so he'll choose somebody that will be easy to disentangle himself from when it's all over. He loves the drama and playing the "poor pitiful me" card, so he'll ham it up for all he's worth.

I think Ali was too much woman for him, glad she left. Tenley is just to vulnerable and I think he sees that, even though he thinks she is wonderful. Gia I don't think is his type, need to see more of her. And then there's Vienna, feeds his ego so he'll keep her around ....til he finds somebody better that is.

Biggest mystery this season is why give so much air time to an F4??? that's the only think I'm interested in at this point.
    I hate to brag but I tried on some earrings that I wore in highschool... and they still fit
    Proud member of the Rose Coloured Glasses Club

Quote Originally Posted by C4Real;3806158;
    Does the audience know that Tenley has done work for Disney? Is that in her bio - can't remember.
    Even if "we" didn't know, Jake and the other women likely know that she has been a Disney princess and it may be a very easy connection for them to make that Tenley could be Jake's princess. She is the sort of woman that would "work" (as in "fit") with what we think he wants. In that sense, Tenley doesn't need to be a very strong foil for Vienna...all she has to do is show up and be perceived that way by Vienna.
    Girls will make passes
    At boys who lose their glasses
    I'll find them for you.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by northernviewer;3806266;
    I think that's the key as to how the audience get's sucked in to picking the wrong girl. Jillian really wasn't looking for the kind of guy she described, she still wants to party and that's why Ed was chosen. Think back to Matt's season, he was billed as the Bach who was ready to settle down and start a family young as his dad wasn't well... NOT. We thought Amanda was perfect for what he said he wanted, but Shayne was actually perfect for him as he was a fame whore just like her and had no plan to settle down. In Deanna's season, Jason was groomed to be the kind of guy she wanted right from the get-go, it seemed to match her heartbroken persona from Brad's season so it was easy to see why she'd pick him.... NOT she really wanted to launch a career and Jason and his son were just too complicated for her. They seem to do this lots, get us to pick out the person we think is best for them based on a bunch of BS and list that is made up of lies.

The key to figuring out the edit and everything else, is to not believe a word said about the Bach and what he says he wants in a girl and what his reasons are for doing the show. My opinion is that Jake wants to be adored, not just by one girl but the masses. I think he's a nice enough guy and he doesn't want to hurt anybody in the end so he'll choose somebody that will be easy to disentangle himself from when it's all over. He loves the drama and playing the "poor pitiful me" card, so he'll ham it up for all he's worth.

I think Ali was too much woman for him, glad she left. Tenley is just to vulnerable and I think he sees that, even though he thinks she is wonderful. Gia I don't think is his type, need to see more of her. And then there's Vienna, feeds his ego so he'll keep her around ....til he finds somebody better that is.

Biggest mystery this season is why give so much air time to an F4??? that's the only think I'm interested in at this point.
    But look how much airtime Wes got last season and he was F4. He carried the main story until the Reid/Ed dynamic took over.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3806265;
    That's what I've been saying as well--the Vienna/Ali matchup doesn't make sense if it climaxes at the F4 ceremony. I think IF Ali didn't factor in at all to the ending, then they could have edited it more so that Tenley was viewed as the instigator against Vienna, thus setting them up for the FRC showdown. I'm sure somewhere on the cutting room floor they've got footage of Tenley saying something about Vienna and they would have used it.
    So...this is what's leading some of us to think that there's something else Ali-related that may play out in the ending.
    CSW!

Not sure what this does to your theory about Tenley but she has made comments about Vienna during her PI which aired last show.

Tenley's PI: "I would be surprised if Vienna came home with a rose after tonight's date with Jake. I am thinking that he is going to see what the girls in the house are seeing and she is not gonna return tonight."

All the F4 girls and most of the others have spoken out against Vienna, even sweet Tenley. This tells me that Vienna must have done more to alienate the girls than what they are showing the viewers -- this is much more than a mere personality clash with almost every girl in the house! I suspect Vienna is revealing too much about herself, her arrogance, her past, her dating history/practices to the other girls for them to form such a harsh opinion of her. She has to be revealing very questionable character/motives behind the scenes for so many girls to be doubting Jake's judgement. The fact that Vienna is Ali's primary competition is the issue that causes Ali's dramatic departure. I am betting Ali tried to incriminate Vienna before/at the F4 ceremony and Jake ignored her which Ali couldn't deal with and left.

It is probable that Vienna is F1 and getting a similar edit to Ed during Jillian's season. There were girlfriend rumors flying around the house which allowed TPTB to create the drama for season. Jillian also knew this and even having the "talk" with Ed, chose Ed as her F1. It didn't matter what the others were saying once Jillian fell for Ed. Similarly, it appears to me that Jake is falling for Vienna and will not be swayed by what Ali or the other girls have to say about her.

JMO.
    Last edited by MiniDiva; 01-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanticHaze;3806219;
    Mulling over some things. It seems to me that the only one with a flawless edit is Gia. The only doubt thrown in is that Jake feels that she is out of his league. Could it be her that Jake goes for after the FR? I know this is sheer speculation but what of her amazing edit? What of Jake saying that their date was the beginning of a fairytale (said in the preview)?
    It seems to me, looking at the edit over the years, that the only one that receives a flawless edit is the one they want to be the bachelor/ette next. Kip got the flawless edit (except for his family being a bit tough), Jason got a pretty flawless edit on Deanna's season. Melissa got a flawless edit, and she turned out (after the switch) to be the F2. I think they would have loved her as the bachelorette, but she had moved on.

In my opinion the flawless edit points to the next bachelorette.

FORT Fogey

I am going to speculate off of sdl's buddy's info and build off of what several of you have said. Here is what I think could happen ( complete with ramblings):

Sdl's buddy said the theme or idea was: "Does a good guy finally finish first?"
    (And, if so how does he get edited?)

1. Jake IS edited as a basically good guy, but he is going to face suffering and several obstacles ( the extent to which is new to this show) as the Bachelor, including losing (edited) women who truly interest him:

A. Rozlyn
    B. Beth
    C. Ali

2. This show has to have drama, but since the Bachelor is edited as basically a good guy who doesn't provide the drama, then the drama has to be provided by the women.

A. The "good girls" are edited negatively (poorly).
    B. The F1 is edited even worse.

3. For the first time, we have an edited Bachelor with a good guy image end up with an F1 with the bad or negative image which is usually equated with the F2 (ala Kirsten, Bevin, or Moana).
    In other words, it is as if for the first time the Bachelor ends up with the F2!!

(Edited) Conclusion: Good guys finish first but how successfully?

***This is meant for analysis purposes only and not as a judgment of character. I have already said I believe that into of Vienna was a spoof, and I don't believe she is a bad person.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

I just wanna see more Gia. We know she makes it to F3 and I don't recall ever seeing such a hidden F3. this season is whacky - since we know the outcome and the positioning of the F4 girls it's interesting to compare thier edits to their predecessors. Not that I want to pigeaon hole her into any specific edit, but I'm interested in seeing her interact with Jake and if they have any chemistry. I just can't see the real Gia being interested in the real Jake.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Episode 4: Ali's Edit

Ali is the only one shown to ask Vienna a question after he 1:1, a very intimate question at that, “How many kisses were there?” This remark is an interesting contrast to Ashleigh later telling Jake that Vienna revealed the intimacies of her date. From this edit, Ali is probing for details while Vienna says “I don’t kiss and tell” a la Reid.

Ali is seen with a sad face when Michelle hugs Jake. Ali is actually next in line but her hug is edited to be the last one shown; it is also the most protracted hug of the group in which Jake holds onto her and has his face nuzzled in her neck.

During the Comedy Club date, Ali is typically standing or sitting next to Jake, i.e when he is introducing John Lovitz, when they are seated on the couch with the group eating snacks.

Ali describes herself as “elementary” and shares a childhood joke. Might this portion of her performance be the edited highlight as a reflection on her “feud” with Vienna? It's rather juvenile.

When Kathryn kisses Jake, they zoom in on Michelle, not Ali. Ali’s “jealousy” as it is edited only rears her ugly head when about Jake and Vienna’s relationship. This point is later highlighted by Ali’s “My problem is not that someone else got a 1:1 with Jake. My problems is that YOU got a 1:1 with Jake,” spoken to Vienna.

If Ali is being edited as the ring-leader, several interactions with various women support this edit.: 1) While seated around the pool at the mansion, Elizabeth NE says that she likes Vienna’s outspokenness, her honesty. “It’s kinda fun.” She’s met with a stare from Ali who Elizabeth seems to check in with when she says “Right?” 2) The Vienna interactions 3) Her Michelle confrontation. In a PI, Ali says that “something is not right with her” about Michelle. We then watch as Michelle calls Ali out about Ali’s discomfort with the other girls’ intimacies with Jake. Ali’s “you’re being mean to me” refers back to the elementary comment of her comedy act: it’s something a kindergartener might say.

Ali literally whines like a little girl “I want my time with him. I haven’t seen him since our 1:1. Can you imagine having that 1:1 and not having a second of time with him?” Ali is gushing about her date to the women, the very same thing that Vienna supposedly did, and the women are edited to be sympathetic: Ashleigh and Elizabeth are shown to be nodding their heads in agreement. Is the difference purely just liking someone better though their actions are the same?

Ali and Jake’s 1:1 time at the wrap party is very spliced. Their body positions do not line up consistently. Jake comments on the chemistry and conversation of which the latter we saw very, very little. Ali says she feels so “lucky” because they were both so happy during the date and “I don’t think anyone else has that.” Jake doesn’t agree. He looks away and rubs his mouth with his hand. Ali continues, “And the more I get to know you, the more I’m…..*shakes her head*. I came here thinking there was a possibility of love…..Ya know?” The conversation lacks continuity and Ali seems unable to truly articulate her feelings. Ali also seems at a “loss for words” or as Jake said on his 1:1 with Vienna, “there are no words” when you find the one. Is it that or is this the classic "splice and dice" when there is no chemistry?

"Someone came home with a rose who is so fundamentally different from me." Could this be what undercuts Ali’s departure?

The Corrie pact: Ali toasts Corrie for her “true” comedic impression of Vienna, commending it as a justice to Jake. All the women raise their glass except Michelle. “Aren’t you going to toast? It’s like a pact. Are you in on it?”
    Michelle, very astutely, declines, restating that her focus is on her and Jake not other girls. She then also reveals Ali’s insecurity about the other women’s effect on her own fortitude in surviving this game. Technically, she’s the only girl who stands up to the “in” crowd and she ends up leaving in the end.

"Jake wants to marry someone who makes everyone feel good and makes everyone feel comfortable." Is this Ali?

"He asked her to leave, and he knew it wasn’t right? It takes such a strong, confident man to do what he did. It makes me want to be here for him even more.” We keep hearing Ali say that she wants to be here for him. Also, can this line be a direct interpretation of how Ali will exit?

At this point, the reason for Ali’s departure might be “blamed” on her feud with Vienna. If Ali continues to be portrayed as “the bully,” who is so fiercely competitive that she never “lets up” on Vienna, Jake may decide to “ask her to leave” because she does not “make everyone feel good and comfortable” which is what he wants in a wife.

Epi 4 preview:
    Ali’s frustration with Vienna continues to escalate and becomes laced with jealousy. Ali physically lays claim to Jake for the dune buggy races, wrapping herself around him.

My first post for comparison of Ali's edit:

Epi 2
    When Jake leaves on the InStyle date, Ali says to the other girls something like: My first wave of jealousy.

When Jake addresses the group after Rozlyn's departure, the camera focuses on Ali when he says "if there is anyone here who is not sure" during his speech about finding love.

While the girls are reflecting on how Jake will react to Rozlyn's deception, Gia comments: "Can you imagine, coming here, believing that this is gonna work, and then to find out that a girl that you gave a rose to, that you have kissed, that you have spent so much time with has done" –the camera then pans to a silent Ali--"this to you."

Ali says to the group: “One of you is staying tonight and is getting the chance with a guy who could be the man of your dreams because she left.” Does Vienna, Tenly, Gia get Ali’s rose at the F3 ceremony because she leaves?

We also find out during Jake and Ali's 1:1 date that Ali was selected as a contestant prior to Jake's selection as the Bachelor: She says, "When they told me it was you..." We also hear her say "No question in my mind that I wanted in. I want to be here with you."

Sneak Peek:
    On the sneak peek for Epi 3, Michelle confronts Ali about Ali's discomfort with Jake kissing other girls, that Ali "didn't know if she could be here." Michelle states that Ali questioned herself being on the show given that Jake has to be intimate with others. Might Ali leave at F4/F3 cuz she knows the FS's are up next?

Epi 3:
    Ali seems rather frustrated with Vienna for her relentless discussion of their 1:1 date. Ali says something like, "I don't like that he had a 1:1 date with you."

Basically, are they building a case to support Ali telling Jake she will leave or are they giving us reasons why Jake would "cut" her due to jealousy/wrong reasons?