Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newer ABC contract

Newer ABC contract

We've seen Trista's contract. It's here: The Smoking Gun: Archive Please note the last paragraph on page 4 where she basically signed her life away.

Now we're able to see a newer contestant contract at Astrochicks which was used for the DeAnna and Jillian seasons. Astrochicks » Blog Archive » THE BACHELORETTE - Updated Exclusive: What the ABC Contract Says that Guys/Girls Have to Sign!!!
    Here are the highlights:

* Paid $10k for the “exclusive” to keep quiet.
    * Option to appear on other shows, they are guaranteed a fee
    * If they make it to the final four, they are paid extra.
    * They are explicitly told they are filmed 24/7, they could be embarrassed, edited in a negative light, etc.

Highlights Part Two:

* If they appear on Extra TV as a host, they can be paid $150k per year.
    * ABC hold the “exclusive for two years if they final contestants get married. This means they can’t sell photo deals to People, US Magazine, etc. Also, they will be paid a compensation fee if they get married on TV.
    * They have a non disclosure agreement and can be sued for up to $5 million dollars if they disclose ABC secrets, go on unapproved interviews, etc. etc.
    * If lawsuit goes to arbitration, ABC is guaranteed $250k
    Read it and weep.

bestbachelorett

Re: Newer ABC contract

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;3563093;
    We've seen Trista's contract. It's here: The Smoking Gun: Archive Please note the last paragraph on page 4 where she basically signed her life away.

Now we're able to see a newer contestant contract at Astrochicks which was used for the DeAnna and Jillian seasons. Astrochicks » Blog Archive » THE BACHELORETTE - Updated Exclusive: What the ABC Contract Says that Guys/Girls Have to Sign!!!

Read it and weep.
    Wow, so that means that Wes could be sued for his RS interview.

Quote Originally Posted by bestbachelorett;3563099;
    Some people have pointed out that if ABC/Next tried to sue someone then all their secrets would be spilled in court and the public would know stuff they'd never want us to know. For that reason it will likely never happen. The threat is enough to keep most people quiet, but not all.

This is from a post by jlccaz on Dec. 20. Bolding added by me.
    Re: Final Thoughts on Bachelor 11
    Although it's sporty fun to play a law school "issue spotting" game, in the real world, there is zero chance of litigation against a show participant on these facts.

So, personally, I draw a big distinction between (a) actions driven by legal considerations (I think Brad and Jason's words and actions are very much colored by legal considerations), and (b) actual real world risk of lawsuits filed against show participants.

Producers and networks write strong reps/warranties and promises not to date, confidentiality, etc. into those contracts because they want their expectations set in black and white on those concepts. Day to day, as filming, PR stage, and post-airing stages unfold, the agreement represents a shared understanding of what's expected, with legal RISK attached to it.

The real litigation relevant point about those agreements to me is that they make it impossible for any participant to ever sue the producers or network for airing shows that do not reflect what "really" happened. Splicing, dicing, jokes aired as "real" -- all the things they do to make it as entertaining as possible. It is supposed to be entertainment, not a documentary after all. In any event, protecting the network from liability is a principal reason why "reality" show agreements are written the way they are. To distinguish them from agreements involving some promise to portray a true or non-humiliating version of events.

Absent the most egregious set of facts (i.e., blatant public disclosure of the ending), I cannot IMAGINE the network/producer suing Brad or Kate the Blogging Bachelorette or any show participant. Talk about a way to kill the franchise -- who would EVER apply to be the bacherlor/ette after a lawsuit against a prior contestant? What are the DAMAGES for heaven's sakes? (A required pleading element).

That said, anyone who signed the agreement with assets to fret about would do well not to "tug on superman's cape" by publishing or admitting to blatant violations of reps/warranties/conduct prohibitions. And I think we've seen plenty of that on this board and elsewhere.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by drdelta;3563193;
    I posted this site earlier today in the Thoughts and Comments thread I think. No resposes were given so I thought maybe it was old news. Glad you started a thread so it could be examined and discussed.
    I wonder if there is any info on exactly how much Jillian and the final 4 are compensated. Would be interesting to know!

Quote Originally Posted by bestbachelorett;3563099;
    Not if TPTB know exactly what he's going to say and approves which i believe IS the case!
    To be a Fly on the wall! Seek and ye shall find!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;3563093;

Read it and weep.
    Thank you for posting this.....I have seen the original contract in it's entirety and did a comprehensive summary of the provisions, posted all that on FORT (the summary not the contract) during Jason's season and I can verify that this is the real deal.
    However, it is only a small portion of the contract. There is some really juicy stuff in the rest of it.
    Several people have asked me for a copy of the contract and it's like finding a needle in a haystack among the thousands of downloads on my computer, but I will post it if I can find it.
    Thanks.

Early on, Chris H used to say at the rose ceremony...if you are offered a rose, and you don't see yourself with the Bachelor/ette, then you can and should refuse the rose.

He doesn't say that anymore...in fact, the ones that do want to leave (ex-Graham) are asked/told to pretend they are being rejected. I think I remember one of the other guys hinting that several wanted to leave or at least several weren't into Deanna.

I have gotten that same vibe this season.

I wonder if the new contracts say that you can't leave until you are dismissed? Or do they say that you can leave but you have to agree to be written out according to their script?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamary;3565194;
    sdl, you really are a wealth of information! I appreciate your knowledge and your wisdom and also the bits of info you find out and let us forters know. I am glad you have many sources out there in the real world.
    That was very sweet.
    Ok, I found a pdf of the entire 22 page contract. I know how to attach it to a regular email so I sent it to a couple of FORTers whose email addresses I know and asked if they could post it here.
    If someone could PM with instructions on how to post a pdf from my computer on this thread, I'll do it. Just remember I'm slow and use a Mac, which is different than Windows.
    But I think you'll enjoy reading the whole thing. It is awful.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565267;
    That was very sweet.
    Ok, I found a pdf of the entire 22 page contract. I know how to attach it to a regular email so I sent it to a couple of FORTers whose email addresses I know and asked if they could post it here.
    If someone could PM with instructions on how to post a pdf from my computer on this thread, I'll do it. Just remember I'm slow and use a Mac, which is different than Windows.
    But I think you'll enjoy reading the whole thing. It is awful.
    The easiest way (I can think of) would be to post it on a webpage. I would be happy to post it on my own webpage/domain/server if no one else is able to.

Thanks again for all the tidbits you provide. It's much appreciated!

Steph

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast