Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newer ABC contract

Re: Newer ABC contract

Here's one of my favorite parts. (bolding added) They all agree that the participants , producer and host can basically make up anything they wish about the contestant and it may be true or fictional. Honestly, I just dont understand why anyone would sign this.
    I understand that, in and in connection with the Series, I may
    reveal and/or relate, and other parties (including, without limitation, other
    Participants, Producer and the host of the Series), may reveal and/or relate
    information about me of a personal, private, intimate, surprising, defamatory,
    disparaging, embarrassing or unfavorable nature, that may be factual and/or
    fictional.
    I further understand that my appearance, depiction and/or
    portrayal in the Series and my actions and the actions of others displayed in
    the Series, may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing or of an otherwise
    unfavorable nature and may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or
    condemnation. I acknowledge and agree that Producer shall have the right (a)
    to include any such information and any such appearance, depiction, portrayal,
    actions, and statements in the Series as edited by Producer in its sole
    discretion, and (b) to broadcast and otherwise exploit the Series containing
    any such information and any such appearance, depiction, portrayal or actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565610;
    I believe that Reid and some others (Wes, Ed, Kip, Tanner, Jake) had side deals that involved extra consideration for their "unique" participation. This was separate from the boilerplate contract that everyone had to sign to get to first base (what we have now seen).
    So I think when Reid says that he involved a lawyer, he is talking about when they got down to the issue of compensation (not specified in this contract) and what his participation would be.
    But the basic "signing your life away" contract we are looking at is not negotiable.
    Thanks SDL!
    Again, I am wondering why good-looking, decent, successful guys like Ried and Kip would agree to go on the show??? What kind of "compensation"/"incentives" do you think TPTB offered them, other than the chance of being on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565279;
    You'll have the full contract soon but my recollection is that it said you could leave, but that you HAD to do it on camera.......and maybe there was some penalty if you messed up their filming?
    Would that penalty be financial or would the participant be thrown under the bus vis-a-vis editing? Or both? Is there anything in the contract with what ABC gives in return?
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by pajamasam;3565668;
    Here's one of my favorite parts. (bolding added) They all agree that the participants , producer and host can basically make up anything they wish about the contestant and it may be true or fictional. Honestly, I just dont understand why anyone would sign this.
    It sure explains how they got so much mileage out of Tanner's foot fetish...
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

FORT Fogey

And so much for any complaints about them editing you to make it appear you said something other than what you really said or falsely portraying the context (thinking of Wes here):

I further understand that my appearance, depiction and/or portrayal in the Series and my actions and the actions of others displayed in the Series, may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing or of an otherwise unfavorable nature and may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation. I acknowledge and agree that Producer shall have the right (a) to include any such information and any such appearance, depiction, portrayal,actions, and statements in the Series as edited by Producer in its sole discretion
    Thanks, SDL. I can't imagine a lawyer advising a client to sign this agreement. And, since they don't pay most of the contestants, how many are going to shell out the bucks for a lawyer in the first place? I imagine only the ones they promised F4 status and compensation, or others they promised monetary incentives to (like Tanner or Jake, according to sdl) would even bother to consult an attorney.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565643;
    I can't speak for Jeremy, but I can say in general that lawyers frequently are the quickest to sign long contracts without paying a lot of attention to them because we know they are filled with nonsense written by some nerd in a closet somewhere - intended only to scare of the unwary but not ever to be enforced.
    Jeremy went on the show for the adventure. The contract was white noise.
    But it IS revealing as to what the Producers have in mind for you.
    Wasn't Jeremy still waiting for his bar results when he applied to go on the show? I thought I remember him showing Deanna his bar review notes he still had posted on his apartment wall during his home town date. He may be a bit wiser today. Law school doesn't equip you to deal with real-life situations so much as it teaches you theory.

Quote Originally Posted by atem;3565476;
    Dang, if you get married within 2 years, you have to let them film it?! Geez.
    I wonder what happens if the happy Bachelorette/ Bachelor couple have a baby. Do they retain rights to film the birth?
    Kocktail Kat

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA

Quote Originally Posted by KocktailKat;3566049;
    I wonder what happens if the happy Bachelorette/ Bachelor couple have a baby. Do they retain rights to film the birth?
    Probably only the first born... j/k

Quote Originally Posted by satorus;3566089;
    Probably only the first born... j/k
    Even worse ... what if TPTB want to folim the conception?
    Kocktail Kat

Quote Originally Posted by KocktailKat;3566096;
    Even worse ... what if TPTB want to folim the conception?
    well they do have cameras in the fantasy suite rooms!

About the contract: The lure to be on television is powerful for some people. A lot of these contestants grew up watching long-running reality tv shows like The Real World and Big Brother and Survivor. Some of the people on those shows are villains, some are darlings. I think they want to do it so badly they sign whatever is put in front of them and they assume "I'm a nice guy/girl, they can't hurt me" and "they wouldn't really do anything that awful, right?" They assume they'll be the darling.

They think they can beat the edit because they won't do/say anything to make themselves look bad. But then we learn they bleep people to make it sound like they swear a lot when the words they bleeped weren't swear words! And they frankenbite things people say to make it sound like they're saying the opposite of what they really said. And we can't ignore the fact they give these people a lot of alcohol, and most people have never seen themselves tipsy or drunk on camera -- they don't really know how they act when they're sloshed.

You can't win unless you're cast to fill one of the good guy roles, and you shouldn't assume that's your assigned role! I expect they tell ALL contestants to trust them, they'll make 'em look great, to lull them into a false sense of security so they'll open up even more.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast