Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newer ABC contract

Re: Newer ABC contract

SDL...Thanks!

Now, I think I heard that Reid hired a lawyer to review/negotiate the contract. Is it possible some contestants are able to negotiate better contracts?

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by drdelta;3565526;
    Unless I'm mistaken, they can eat, sleep, and breathe, smile occasionally, and speak even less. Unbelieveable.

I truly wonder if these people understand what they are signing. I wonder if the contract is explained to them completely.

Thank you SDL and Steph for getting this contract posted for us to read. I was eye opening and I won't encourage my son to apply to be The Bachelor anymore!
    I have some other detailed comments on the contract from February that I'll try to find because there's a lot more that will turn your stomach, but here's the deal.......
    This "agreement" is presented to them at the very first interview. They are given about 5 minutes to look at it, and then they sign and have an interview......or they don't sign and they go home. No tickee no laundry.
    Nothing about this is negotiated.

Thank you sdl, pajamasam, and steph! Looks like I'll be online longer than usual tonight!
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain;3565544;
    Thanks, as always, pajamasam, for a thought-provoking thread.
    Thanks, as always, sdl, esq., for the goods.

This nugget caught my eye, a propos this season and last. ETA: bolding added for emphasis.

"I understand that the Series is an unscripted and/or
    reality series that may involve the element of surprise. I have been informed
    and understand that I should be prepared for anything, at any time during the
    production of the Series and that the Series may involve 'twists' and that
    that Producer may make misrepresentations intentionally or unintentionally
    concerning the Series and/or any element or aspect of the Series. Said
    misrepresentations may be made by, without limitation, Producer, Host, other
    Series Participants,
    Producer’s affiliates and/or other parties connected to
    the show. Being so informed, I voluntarily agree to participate in the Series."
    yipes. Okay, bamabrain, now you need to get hold of the contract signed by the audience for the MTA and ATFR so you know where best to place the White-out.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Daliana;3565559;
    SDL...Thanks!

Now, I think I heard that Reid hired a lawyer to review/negotiate the contract. Is it possible some contestants are able to negotiate better contracts?
    I believe that Reid and some others (Wes, Ed, Kip, Tanner, Jake) had side deals that involved extra consideration for their "unique" participation. This was separate from the boilerplate contract that everyone had to sign to get to first base (what we have now seen).
    So I think when Reid says that he involved a lawyer, he is talking about when they got down to the issue of compensation (not specified in this contract) and what his participation would be.
    But the basic "signing your life away" contract we are looking at is not negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565610;
    I believe that Reid and some others (Wes, Ed, Kip, Tanner, Jake) had side deals that involved extra consideration for their "unique" participation. This was separate from the boilerplate contract that everyone had to sign to get to first base (what we have now seen).
    So I think when Reid says that he involved a lawyer, he is talking about when they got down to the issue of compensation (not specified in this contract) and what his participation would be.
    But the basic "signing your life away" contract we are looking at is not negotiable.
    So did Reid know he'd be one of the F4 from the beginning?
    Saving one dog does not change the world, but it does change the world of that one dog.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain;3565544;
    Thanks, as always, pajamasam, for a thought-provoking thread.
    Thanks, as always, sdl, esq., for the goods.

This nugget caught my eye, a propos this season and last. ETA: bolding added for emphasis.

"I understand that the Series is an unscripted and/or
    reality series that may involve the element of surprise. I have been informed
    and understand that I should be prepared for anything, at any time during the
    production of the Series and that the Series may involve 'twists' and that
    that Producer may make misrepresentations intentionally or unintentionally
    concerning the Series and/or any element or aspect of the Series. Said
    misrepresentations may be made by, without limitation, Producer, Host, other
    Series Participants,
    Producer’s affiliates and/or other parties connected to
    the show. Being so informed, I voluntarily agree to participate in the Series."
    Wow! Why would anyone do this? Didn't Wes read any of it??

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by nutty1;3565551;
    Thanks SDL! I have a question for you....why did Jeremy, a lawyer, ever sign this garbage?!
    I can't speak for Jeremy, but I can say in general that lawyers frequently are the quickest to sign long contracts without paying a lot of attention to them because we know they are filled with nonsense written by some nerd in a closet somewhere - intended only to scare of the unwary but not ever to be enforced.
    Jeremy went on the show for the adventure. The contract was white noise.
    But it IS revealing as to what the Producers have in mind for you.

I can't say I'm surprised by the contract (and many thanks, sdl, for sharing the whole enchilada). But I can't believe some of the participants agree to sign it as it is. WHA?!?!?!?! Some people who go on this show are incredibly naive and/or incredibly excited at the prospect of being on TV, so I can see how some participants quickly agree to all this. I *think* there have also been some world-wise participants on this show and am mind-boggled that they would agree to all of this. Some real "gems" have been pointed out already. Section II (Grant of Rights) has some real doozies in it, too! :OMG

"A. Name, Likeness, Etc.; Promotional Activities: The unconditional right
    throughout the world in perpetuity
    to use, simulate or portray (and to
    authorize others to do so) or to refrain from using, simulating or portraying,
    my name, likeness (whether photographic or otherwise), voice, personality,
    personal identification or personal experiences (including, without
    limitation, whether I am clothed, partially clothed or naked, whether I am
    aware or unaware of such photographing, videotaping, filming or recording, and
    by requiring me to wear a microphone at all times), my life story,
    biographical data, incidents, situations and events which heretofore occurred
    or hereafter occur, including without limitation the right to use, or to
    authorize others to use any of the foregoing in or in connection with the
    Series....."

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like they can use my name/likeness FOREVER. Uh, yeah....no. No way in God's creation I'd ever agree to something like that. Now, I know, for the lion's share of participants, they'd really have no desire to use most people's name/likeness/whatever after they're done with them. But they can? IN PERPETUITY??? Yikes! And they can authorize others to do so? It is beyond comprehension to me that some participants wouldn't negotiate something a little more reasonable and fair to both sides. WOW!
    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." -Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3565573;
    I have some other detailed comments on the contract from February that I'll try to find because there's a lot more that will turn your stomach, but here's the deal.......
    This "agreement" is presented to them at the very first interview. They are given about 5 minutes to look at it, and then they sign and have an interview......or they don't sign and they go home. No tickee no laundry.
    Nothing about this is negotiated.
    I wonder how difficult it was for Jilly to get a phone call a week in to her mother?
    "No matter how lovesick a woman is, she shouldn't take the first pill that comes along!"Joyce Brothers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast