Thread: Reality Steve discussion only **Spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by AvalonR;3336112;
    What RS can't wrap his head around is why and how Jason, of all people, could do such a thing. I think this is an important distinction. The deception itself is totally plausible, but the fact that nice-guy Jason is behind it is what is unexpected and bewildering to so many.
    So why does everyone (including RS and FORT) immediately believe it?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3335917;
    Ok, my friends, I spent the last hour reading the Bachelor form contract and I'm going to give you my thoughts. If you hate all things lawyer, or this bores you to death, please skip this note.
    * There are two schools of thought in drafting contracts - the one advanced by Thomas Jefferson and friends (wherefore, premises considered...) and people who have defended contracts after 1990 (plain English). The Bachelor contract fits into the first category, which means it is exceedlngly "gray," "dense" and hard to understand.
    * the thing that many people don't understand about corporate America is that most big companies are not nearly as smart or powerful as one might think. Like anyone else, they have budget constraints and never does anyone say, "let's throw some money at the legal department!"
    - the legal department is a backwater to the "revenue generating" divisions, poorly staffed and, comparatively speaking, not that well paid. Contracts, being the most mundane of tasks, fall to the youngest and least seasoned attorneys. That's why most big company contracts read like gibberish...this one is no exception.
    - contracts are usually forms, which are recycled forever, cut and paste, by the 1st or 2nd year idiots told to prepare them, and so they are infrequently updated to adhere to current legal requirements, and rarely does anyone look at them to ask if they really make sense.
    - the real value of a contract is that in all that legalese, there is something that some stiffy can point to and scare someone, but the actual piece of paper is often worthless.
    * provisions of interest in the Bachelor contract:
    - the parties are the person and "Syndicated Productions, Inc." No mention of ABC or whoever else is involved in the production of this show. Bad, because if you're not mentioned, you can't sue to enforce it.
    - lots of releases of future problems that may arise - generally unenforceable because you can't release something unknown to you.
    - retains control of all publicity, interviews, etc for one year following the FRC - this means that they have to approve interviews such as those we've read of Shannon, Naomi, etc. - which makes their content interesting.
    - refers to an "Honorarium" paid to participants for agreeing to all of this, but the amount is not specified
    - "Indemnification" language out of the 19th century - not valid in most states, including California, because it is not CONSPICUOUS and is fatally vague.
    - liquidated damages provision specifies that Syndicated Productions has damages of more than $5 million if confidentiality breached. This provision has to be tied to some real loss, can't just pick a number, or it's unenforceable.
    - sole remedy is arbitration...this goes both ways. In other words, Syndicated Productions can't just file suit. They have to go through the steps to take it to arbitration. Pretty weak enforcement mechanism.

**** The point of what I'm saying is that I read a lot of stuff on the board about ABC and their team of lawyers, and why people couldn't do something because of this contract...and it's all fiction. The contract is crap and the lawyers are weak, and never has ABC effectively enforced this document, because, well, good luck trying.

Can you tell me where to find this contract? I have a working knowledge about Contracts issues and I'd like to read it too.

If you can't tell me on the board--can you PM me?
    Thanks for any info.

ETA--

In reading many posts after SDL's two things seem clear--

--there are a lot of other people here like me who enjoy reading contracts. Scary--isn't it?

--it sounds like this is an old one and I dno't think I'll spend the time on it. They have surely made substantial changes since 2002.
    Last edited by steppemaster; 02-20-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by addison h.;3335191;
    CH know what's going on behind the scenes - he knows Jason's been set up to really end up with Molly - he knows the viewers will know that EVENTUALLY so I think he's obviously referencing Molly.

just remember how many things about molly's dates we haven't been shown...
    the golf course bet, playing games with her family...etc.
    The whole proposal bit through. Foreshadowing I guess to the AFRC2:nono CH deliberately deceiving people and probably having a little fun at our expense. He's had a lot of comments/quotes throughout the season, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by denise2802;3336115;
    So why does everyone (including RS and FORT) immediately believe it?
    I can't speak for everyone, but the way I see it, I don't know Jason or what he's capable of. All I've ever seen is the nice guy he plays on tv. "Jason" is a character, Jason Mesnick is someone else entirely.

Also, speaking again for myself, I don't necessarily even believe RS' theories at this point. All I'm willing to believe is that Jason proposes to Melissa (which we knew all along), and ends up with Molly. That in itself is shocking. Whether or not Melissa got Montreal-screwjobbed, I'm going to reserve judgement until we have more information.

I just have a hard time believing Jason would propose to Molly on the AFRC2. Doesn't he think he should date awhile and make sure before he proposes to any more women?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momto4QTs;3335986;
    OK I have been thinking about RS's info and have started thinking (scary stuff). If at the ATFR #1 he tells Melissa that he wants to break things off, how do they fill up the hour? Do they show us 55 minutes of beautiful scenes between Jason and Melissa while they sit on the couch canoodling over the whole thing and then in the last 5 minutes he sticks it to her? Or do they have him break it off with her at the beginning of the show-then what? What will they do to for the next hour of the show? Review clips of how Jason was better with Molly? I am just not buying it.

On to ATFR #2: So the night before we watch Jason and Mel break up (because it must take an hour to do this), then we watch the developing relationship that was kept in the editing room floor during the whole show?

I know that RS has said he does not know how it will all go down, but ABC would have to have a lot of schmoozers on their team to make these two nights look like a show instead of a big mistaken flop. For now, until proven otherwise, I am going with the idea that ABC is smarter than we give them credit for!

That's what I've been wondering too--what do they do with TWO whole hours?

The only answer I can come up with is total recap......

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3335200;
    If Jason and Molly were the couple the crew were rooting for, then it really must have been a set-up. Why would Jason not have just proposed to her? She had told him that her family loved him, so that barrier was out of the way.

Was it something to do with Ty? Jason's family?
    Yeah I agree with you. What other explanation could their be about the crew seeing the chemistry between Molly and Jason yet no one thought what the heck he's proposing to Melissa. That's the only thing to me that could mean a set up. Otherwise I'm not sure about it. How else to explain it

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by vintonmom;3336130;
    I just have a hard time believing Jason would propose to Molly on the AFRC2. Doesn't he think he should date awhile and make sure before he proposes to any more women?

That would make our 3rd Jason proposal in less than a year. And then someone somewhere would start a Jason proposal drinking game. "Look, he's heading down to his knees again...take a drink!"

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow;3335249;
    Heck, why not edit out the whole proposal...Fleiss can take a page from the show "Dallas" and say it was a dream. There really weren't any clips showing a proposal.
    I wouldn't doubt he thought about it. I agree with another poster that said MF thinks the viewers are dumb we aren't that gullible to believe we saw the proposal in our dreams

Quote Originally Posted by VAgirl79;3336097;
    In trying to establish some sort of timeline, I keep coming back to the fact that some of you mentioned at different points about there being no Rose Ceremony game on the ABC site this year. At what point do they usually start up that game anyway?

Now, one could say maybe they didn't have it because of the week he should have went from 9 to 6, but instead went from 9 to 5. But what if it was also because of the ending? If they have to start the game before the show, then wouldn't that have been a couple of weeks before the taping of the ATFR where he supposedly dumps Melissa? Just makin' me think, because my mind immediately shot to the possibilities of all the contest entrants who picked one or the other girl and then claiming they really won the game and thus they were entitled to the prize(s)/a shot at the prize. There'd be no way to choose a winner, would there? Because no one would technically be right if he went back and made the F2 the second F1.

Just something to think about.
    I don't like quoting myself, but with all the posts flying, I would really like to get some of ya'll's thoughts on this.