Thread: Reality Steve discussion only **Spoilers**

  1. #10521
    FORT Fogey 2observe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3335917;
    Ok, my friends, I spent the last hour reading the Bachelor form contract and I'm going to give you my thoughts. If you hate all things lawyer, or this bores you to death, please skip this note.
    * There are two schools of thought in drafting contracts - the one advanced by Thomas Jefferson and friends (wherefore, premises considered...) and people who have defended contracts after 1990 (plain English). The Bachelor contract fits into the first category, which means it is exceedlngly "gray," "dense" and hard to understand.
    * the thing that many people don't understand about corporate America is that most big companies are not nearly as smart or powerful as one might think. Like anyone else, they have budget constraints and never does anyone say, "let's throw some money at the legal department!"
    - the legal department is a backwater to the "revenue generating" divisions, poorly staffed and, comparatively speaking, not that well paid. Contracts, being the most mundane of tasks, fall to the youngest and least seasoned attorneys. That's why most big company contracts read like gibberish...this one is no exception.
    - contracts are usually forms, which are recycled forever, cut and paste, by the 1st or 2nd year idiots told to prepare them, and so they are infrequently updated to adhere to current legal requirements, and rarely does anyone look at them to ask if they really make sense.
    - the real value of a contract is that in all that legalese, there is something that some stiffy can point to and scare someone, but the actual piece of paper is often worthless.
    * provisions of interest in the Bachelor contract:
    - the parties are the person and "Syndicated Productions, Inc." No mention of ABC or whoever else is involved in the production of this show. Bad, because if you're not mentioned, you can't sue to enforce it.
    - lots of releases of future problems that may arise - generally unenforceable because you can't release something unknown to you.
    - retains control of all publicity, interviews, etc for one year following the FRC - this means that they have to approve interviews such as those we've read of Shannon, Naomi, etc. - which makes their content interesting.
    - refers to an "Honorarium" paid to participants for agreeing to all of this, but the amount is not specified
    - "Indemnification" language out of the 19th century - not valid in most states, including California, because it is not CONSPICUOUS and is fatally vague.
    - liquidated damages provision specifies that Syndicated Productions has damages of more than $5 million if confidentiality breached. This provision has to be tied to some real loss, can't just pick a number, or it's unenforceable.
    - sole remedy is arbitration...this goes both ways. In other words, Syndicated Productions can't just file suit. They have to go through the steps to take it to arbitration. Pretty weak enforcement mechanism.

    **** The point of what I'm saying is that I read a lot of stuff on the board about ABC and their team of lawyers, and why people couldn't do something because of this contract...and it's all fiction. The contract is crap and the lawyers are weak, and never has ABC effectively enforced this document, because, well, good luck trying.
    WOW!!!! So how much are you going to charge Syndicated Productions for showing how to write an effective contract.

  2. #10522
    FORT Fan cinders83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    398

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by justsaying;3335052[B
    ;]Chris has told us that Molly is now a brunette. [/B]If the opening scenes of the ATFR reveals a blonde Melissa....
    Where did this come from? Was he joking? Maybe its another hint to the public about the switch. CH can't be that dumb to think people didn't know about Jason initially choosing Melissa so since she was a brunette maybe he was making a joke about Molly being a brunette now. Or was he serious? Am I making any sense.

  3. #10523
    Fort Regular vintonmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    283

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    What I find ironic is just a few weeks ago, everyone was of the belief that Jason and Mel were happy. Then RS comes out with this info, and now everyone hates Jason and Molly. Perhaps the "shock" will be that Jason doesn't dump Melissa as everyone now thinks.

  4. #10524
    FORT Regular momto4QTs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    90

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by vintonmom;3336075;
    I don't think so. He seems almost angry about the way Melissa will be treated.
    I mean before-hand when he was still talking about Jason being a decent honest guy. He could have known that the end would be controversial, but not know why. Afterall, I think his source is slowly leaking information to him as he is doing to us. If at first he was saying Jason is decent, but now is calling him out for how he treated Melissa, it would stand to reason he did not know those details yet, but knew "something" would go down.

  5. #10525
    FORT Fogey just logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Tks. GG. If RS was duped then how absolutely awful for Jason and whoever was behind it should be held accountable. If this is not true then for the next 3 weeks his life is going to be miserable. Maybe even longer because a lot of people will still continue to believe it was true and that ABC just changed things because the truth (or what they believe to be the truth) was leaked to RS. If it's not true then would Jason have any legal grounds for a law suit? Would Molly? If it is true then Jason deserves everything he gets.

  6. #10526
    Premium Member jelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Under the big umbrella
    Posts
    3,914

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Hi sdl

    I think the hard thing about RS blog, is 1) that it was so hyped that we expected more, and 2) that he didn't lay out all the information he knew or had heard, nor 3) did he give credence to his sources as many would like.

    I think he presented the information that he had concrete backup for and multiple backup. He left out anything that he was not sure of the confirmation, leaving us with lots of "I think, but I don't know" statements.

    Steve is a blogger not a spoiler, and his wish was to present this after the fact. He was pushed into revelaing it earlier than expected, and I suspect urged to do it on video also. He never betrays a confidence, which is why people tell him things. He listens and responds, but doesn't give a lot of feedback. What RS said on his blog, I am confident he has solid backup for (besides many of us were hearing the same things) it is the stuff he didn't say that I would like to know
    Last edited by jelle; 02-20-2009 at 12:07 AM.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

  7. #10527
    FORT Fogey 2observe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,118

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by kultainen;3335939;
    personally I love the lawyerese, and I agree mostly (as a lawyer I am bound not to agree entirely...it's our nature). ABC may be able to seek certain relief such as injunction if they have a contract with the producer which assigns some rights to them, but it's stretch.

    But people really have to understand, these are contracts that no one should ever fear. On that you are 100 percent right. Not only are they boilerplate, but might well be seen as contract of adhesion (unequal bargaining rights, unequal knowledge, etc). Even more importantly: ABC, OR THE PRODUCERS WOULD BE COMMITTING SUICIDE IN THE INDUSTRY IF THEY EVER TRIED TO ENFORCE. Why? In order to prove why they would be harmed by someone not fulfilling their contract, they would have to state what they wanted the person to do and why. Do you really think ABC would ever work again with such a producer? Look, these are used to scare...that's why they are written the way they are and not in plain english. Most times the scare tactic works on lay people. But it's an empty threat. Someone should really prove that the emperor has no clothes.
    I have a question regarding the bolded comment. Could ABC should harm from loss revenue (from product endorsement, etc.) as a result of public comments made by a third party such as Reality Steve. Please don't shoot me, I am NOT a lawyer.

  8. #10528
    FORT Fogey just logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by momto4QTs;3336080;
    I mean before-hand when he was still talking about Jason being a decent honest guy. He could have known that the end would be controversial, but not know why. Afterall, I think his source is slowly leaking information to him as he is doing to us. If at first he was saying Jason is decent, but now is calling him out for how he treated Melissa, it would stand to reason he did not know those details yet, but knew "something" would go down.
    He said that he found out about the ATFR on the 25th. and knew that Jason dumped Melissa. Said that on the 25th he heard it from one source and then checked. So why the statement later in his blog?

  9. #10529
    Fort Regular vintonmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    283

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by jelle;3336085;
    Hi sdl

    I think the hard thing about RS blog, is 1) that it was so hyped that we expected more, and 2) that he didn't lay out all the information he knew or had heard, not 3) did he give credence to his sources as many would like.

    I think he presented the information that he had concrete backup for and multiple backup. He left out anything that he was not sure of the confirmation, leaving us with lots of "I think, but I don't know" statements.

    Steve is a blogger not a spoiler, and his wish was to present this after the fact. He was pushed into revelaing it earlier than expected, and I suspect urged to do it on video also. He never betrays a confidence, which is why people tell him things. He listens and responds, but doesn't give a lot of feedback. What RS said on his blog, I am confident he has solid backup for (besides many of us were hearing the same things) it is the stuff he didn't say that I would like to know
    I would agree. I don't think RS is telling us a lie, I just don't think we have the whole story. And I would also question his sources and their motivation. It could very well be Fleiss putting a spin on things at the end to give us some drama since we had it figured out a long time ago.

  10. #10530
    FORT Fan cinders83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    398

    Re: RS Predictions **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by denise2802;3335076;
    I dont think you can say RS is unbiased since he completely absolves Mel of any blame and lays all the blame on Jason. So if there is another side then we have not heard it.

    Nor have we any proof at all that this was a set-up or that the Mel\Jason alleged break-up was all Jason's fault. I doubt it is that black and white.

    The truth is too many people got invested in the Mel\Jason love story and are now angry that he has apparently chosen Molly.


    I disagree with the bolded part. I have zero problem with him with Molly. Even if he picked Melissa first and decided he wanted Molly I would understand. Its Jason's way of handling it. You may choose to reserve judgement until you see the shows version of events which is completely fine. Right now I'm going off of the sleuthers version that he was engaged to Melissa and seeing/contacting Molly on the side which is wrong IMO. I'll admit if I'm wrong and something totally different happens like him picking Molly from the start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.