Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Images - A Pictorial

Posting Images - A Pictorial

I noticed some people mentioning that they don't know how to post images or do screen captures, so I thought I'd put together a little tutorial to help out.

The first method can be used on any photo. HOWEVER - while photo hosting sites such as "TinyPic" are MEANT to host image files, most sites DO NOT ALLOW [or like] you to obtain the URL of an image and post it somewhere else.

Which is why [in the following example] I used this particular image precisely because, although the photo is displayed right here at FORT, it is hosted on TinyPic's servers. This is useful when you want to bring a SC from the "SC Only" thread into another thread for discussion.

It is also against the board rules to "hot-link" from sites other than image hosting sites. And I quote:

We don't allow "hot-linking" images from other sites. If you'd like to re-post a picture here, please save it and upload it to one of many free image hosting sites, such as Photopost or Photobucket. Then link it from there. Hotlinking uses bandwidth from other sites that may have to pay for heavy use, and it's bad internet etiquette. And if you post a picture from FORT on another site, please do the same thing, and don't hot-link it directly from here.

Okay let's begin....

So what happens if you see a photo that you'd like to use for comparison and it's hosted on a site that isn't an Image-Hosting site? Let's take this photo of a boat for example:

So what about videos? You can do that too!

NOTE: Because this method captures exactly what is on your monitor screen, after pasting your captured image into an Image-editing program such as Paint, you will notice some personal information displayed such as websites open, programs running etc. While it isn't exactly your credit card number, I personally don't like sharing everything I'm doing with the world - so you'll have to crop it out. And speaking of cropping - how you accomplish that will vary depending on which Image-Editing program you're comfortable using [i.e. Paint or Photoshop]
    Last edited by dodie430; 01-13-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Jillian: "Funnest? Funnest isn't a word." Ed:"It is now..."

Re: Posting Images - A Pictorial

Great post Dodie. This will be really helpful for those who need help with posting pics.

Just be sure you get the entire URL. Sometimes it is longer than just one line. Don't miss the .jpg at the end.
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

Very true. and when the URL is long, it's sometimes difficult to tell because you have to scroll while highlighting, because anything that doesn't "fit" in that window space is kind of "hidden".

So like Jelle said - highlight and scroll until you reach the end of the URL ensuring you see an image file extension [.jpg, .jpeg, .gif etc]

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;3277341;
    Very true. and when the URL is long, it's sometimes difficult to tell because you have to scroll while highlighting, because anything that doesn't "fit" in that window space is kind of "hidden".

So like Jelle said - highlight and scroll until you reach the end of the URL ensuring you see an image file extension [.jpg, .jpeg, .gif etc]
    I got to the part where you click on the yellow icon, but the box where you put the link with the URL didn't pop up for me to fill in.

I made sure this time I copied the URL completely etc.

Now what?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Thanks for this thread, it will be useful for future reference, for someone like me that don't post very often. Now I will know how.
    Thanks again

FORT Fan

Very handy! I tried to explain to several people yesterday, but this is a much better way.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3277386;
    I got to the part where you click on the yellow icon, but the box where you put the link with the URL didn't pop up for me to fill in.

I made sure this time I copied the URL completely etc.

Now what?

You can also paste your url in your post directly, but than you have to attach the following tags [IMG]your url[/IMG]

Yes!

Basically all your doing when you're clicking the is attaching those image tags to the image's URL, where the letters IMG tell the system it is an IMAGE you're trying to display.

The "square brackets" around the letters IMG before your URL tell the system where the image begins and the "right slash + square brackets" around the letters IMG after your URL shows where the image ends.

This works the same way when you use (without the spaces in the brackets):

QUOTE tags
    [ QUOTE] text [/QUOTE ]

BOLD tags
    [ B] text [/B ]

ITALICS tags
    [ I] text [/I ]

The square brackets tell the system where the event (i.e. Bolding) begins and the forward slash+square brackets shows where the bolding ends. So if you're familiar with bolding text in this forum, you might be able to see a connection in the way things are coded.

So if you have the URL (http ://www. tinypic/4re56w. com) of an image, but the button doesn't seem to want to work for you - you can do as Dutchgirly23 suggested and just add those tags to the beginning and end of your URL when posting.

(i.e) [IMG ]http ://www. tinypic/4re56w. com[/IMG ]

Just ensure there are no spaces, I've had to include spaces in the above example, otherwise the system would attempt to display my example as an IMG when I post it.

So if a picture shows a URL when we click on it, it's OK to use it directly, without going thru Photobucket? I never knew that - thanks!
    Saving one dog does not change the world, but it does change the world of that one dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast