Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Robin - **Spoilers**

Re: Robin - **Spoilers**

Totally. Not unlike a few hundred before her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WickedBoo;2921812;
    Maybe her definition of "Bon soir" is how it's listed as #2 in the Urban Dictionary! Just a thought
    Well, that would be pretty funny, if true, though unfortunately lost on most of the audience. (lost on me, certainly)

I'd be more likely to believe it if she hadn't been so dumb about "Wimble - ton" and seeming to believe that "high tea" is some big fancy event.

I guess for her sake I hope that she knew that definition, though. At least then she got to say something at the end that felt good.

I saw quite a few people found Robin's choice of words when saying "bon soir" kind of odd. Well, I think she meant it exactly the way she said it. In Germany, we say "Good evening" a lot when leaving somewhere... it pretty much means "Have a good (rest of the) evening/night". Of course you can say it sarcastically as well, like Robin did. I think it's pretty much the same in French... Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she really did mean "Au revoir", but what she said made sense to me.
    Live well, laugh often, love with all your heart and as though you've never been hurt before

Quote Originally Posted by Estella;2922783;
    I saw quite a few people found Robin's choice of words when saying "bon soir" kind of odd. Well, I think she meant it exactly the way she said it. In Germany, we say "Good evening" a lot when leaving somewhere... it pretty much means "Have a good (rest of the) evening/night". Of course you can say it sarcastically as well, like Robin did. I think it's pretty much the same in French... Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she really did mean "Au revoir", but what she said made sense to me.
    "Au revoir" would have been too plebeian for Robin to use. Even commoners are familiar with that phrase. Sorry, but I am not going to cut this girl any slack. Two posters have been in orchestras with her, their sentiments ring true, and Robin's statements and expressions have done nothing but confirm it.
    Last edited by longhornalum; 04-16-2008 at 10:50 AM.

FORT Newbie

A note on au revoir- it actually means "until we meet again," which is not a sentiment I'd imagine Robin would be expressing. A simple "good night" is much more effective. You can knock her for many things; her French is not one of them.

That said... man, that was cold. Kind of amazing, in its own way. Not precisely in a good way, but we were all certainly entertained.

[QUOTE=corellianscribe;2923318;]A note on au revoir- it actually means "until we meet again," which is not a sentiment I'd imagine Robin would be expressing. A simple "good night" is much more effective. You can knock her for many things; her French is not one of them.

I agree! I expect that Robin will do just fine. She is smart and talented, and youthful. She can chalk this one up to experience, and probably gain from it. It sounds like she already has done this, from her interviews I have read.

After the cryptic posts, I had to look up bon soir on Urban Dictionary.

While the 1st definition is "good night", the 2nd definition is an elegant way to say go have $ex with yourself at a later date.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ryvetted;2924065;
    HAHAHA!
    Yes, and now high tea means 'I have no idea what I am talking about'...

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2924047;
    After the cryptic posts, I had to look up bon soir on Urban Dictionary.

While the 1st definition is "good night", the 2nd definition is an elegant way to say go have $ex with yourself at a later date.

Okay, now THIS is great!!! I bet it's just about what Robin thought at that moment
    Live well, laugh often, love with all your heart and as though you've never been hurt before

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by corellianscribe;2923318;
    A note on au revoir- it actually means "until we meet again," which is not a sentiment I'd imagine Robin would be expressing. A simple "good night" is much more effective. You can knock her for many things; her French is not one of them.

That said... man, that was cold. Kind of amazing, in its own way. Not precisely in a good way, but we were all certainly entertained.
    Of all the things that she could have said, it was cold because she said, "Good evening," when she walked by?