Thread: Editing: Is Fleiss messing with us regarding the editing? **SPOILERS**

Re: Editing: Is Fleiss messing with us regarding the editing? **SPOILERS**

Oh god bama you've done it again. wow. Thank you. YOu are not only a consumate sleuther, you can deconstruct a season like a champ!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain;2429418;
    Both Tessa and Andy have commented in recent interviews that they relied heavily on each other while they were in the bubble of filming the tv season. In multiple ironies, what we fault Fleiss most for—his fabrication of romance—may have actually backfired this season into Fleiss’s best, truest most goofballiest romantic comedy. Andy got the girl. The girl got to question and even critique reality tv. And Fleiss got his ratings back.
    Wow, just wow! Your analysis is excellent. Yes, Tahoe was key to this relationship and as we learned later, it was the off-camera, getting lost escapade we learned about that was a real catalyst for this couple.

Thank you bamabrain, for your insights throughout this season!

I wonder if Andy and Tessa getting "lost" in Tahoe was the "encounter" he mentioned in the collage. I guess we'll never know. Pity.
    What's the Great Conjunction? You tell me!

Great analysis, bama, although Re: Bevin's filmed interaction/Tessa's "unfilmed" interaction, I always thought it was editing and the cutting room floor where all of Andy/Tessa's unseen interaction were left, not that they stopped filming. Do the cameras ever stop filming?

Quote Originally Posted by scoreonemore4me;2429704;
    Great analysis, bama, although Re: Bevin's filmed interaction/Tessa's "unfilmed" interaction, I always thought it was editing and the cutting room floor where all of Andy/Tessa's unseen interaction were left, not that they stopped filming. Do the cameras ever stop filming?
    I was referring to BEVIN filming Andy (and by implication their relationship). I doubt that Tessa did the same.

The skeptic in me wants to know if they planned the end in Tahoe. Maybe he said I will pick you because there isn't anyone else.............

Quote Originally Posted by momsunshine;2429724;
    The skeptic in me wants to know if they planned the end in Tahoe. Maybe he said I will pick you because there isn't anyone else.............
    You say "planned"; I (and Tessa and Andy) say "fated."

Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain;2429730;
    You say "planned"; I (and Tessa and Andy) say "fated."
    WOW! Bama, you rock. Your insight is great and I think right on with your earlier post. ITA. You can even add the DC date. They could have gone so many other places but TPTB allowed them to go to the Air/Space Museum (no video taping allowed). I think TPTB gave them as much alone time as they could without giving the show & ratings away.

bamabrain, I bow to your incredible analytical skills!

Quote Originally Posted by bamabrain;2429418;
    I'm still mulling over those darned bootleg videos. The main reason, fandango, is that those vids created multiple narrative levels we could view, as did SpoilerBob’s photos of the Tahoe filming. We always knew the Wizard-of-Oz curtain was there, but for the first time to my Bach-knowledge, we had visual proof.
    I'm still very puzzled by Bevin's videos as well. I don't understand how she was allowed to record anything within full view of show staff, and if she didn't actually record the footage herself, how did she manage to get her hands on it? We'll probably never know, but I'm guessing the producers will be even more careful on future installments. By the way, since I'm such a latecomer to all the spoiler vids/pics, could someone possibly point me in the direction of SpoilerBob's photos?

Although we’ll never know what happened when Andy and Tessa got lost skiing, it’s really telling, I think, that that important bonding experience occurred off-camera (with Tessa as his sanctuary, I might add) and yet probably included some meta-conversation about what was going on on-camera.
    I think Tessa and Andy did indeed have some crucial conversation off-camera at Tahoe. What we did see was the two of them sitting in the snow, discussing quite seriously the tension and atmosphere of the situation. Andy tells Tessa, "I really feel a connection with you...I hope you stick with it." From that point on I clearly felt that A/T were on a different level than everyone else.

That important de-constructive layer (important, I should say with the caveat that it was important this season with a bachelor with a presumably high IQ; I hope we’ll get that lucky as viewers again) was not apparent in Andy’s relationship with Bevin but was one of the integral aspects of his relationship with Tessa.
    Andy has talked in interviews about the process and how he asked for changes or directly refused to do some things asked of him by the producers when he negotiated to do the show. The fact that Tessa struggled so much with the the process as well was a component unique to their relationship. They were on the same page.

But they were in complicity. Although I do think that Andy and Tessa had an “amazing connection” to the point that they often finish each other’s sentences, the element I’m talking about is an awareness of the production and editorial aspects of the show.
    This is precisely why I believe there was never much, if any, "damage control" for Andy to do, despite what he has laughingly said in interviews. I think Tessa was well-versed in the machinations of the filming and editing.

In multiple ironies, what we fault Fleiss most for—his fabrication of romance—may have actually backfired this season into Fleiss’s best, truest most goofballiest romantic comedy. Andy got the girl. The girl got to question and even critique reality tv. And Fleiss got his ratings back.
    I highly doubt they will get so lucky again any time soon, unless Fleiss and co. really did learn a few lessons from this experience. Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by koolangel;2429810;
    WOW! Bama, you rock. Your insight is great and I think right on with your earlier post. ITA. You can even add the DC date. They could have gone so many other places but TPTB allowed them to go to the Air/Space Museum (no video taping allowed). I think TPTB gave them as much alone time as they could without giving the show & ratings away.
    Bama, that really was a great evaluation, and makes my intellectual mind sing with justification for being so invested in an otherwise non-intellectual show. Kool, I think you add another great point to Bama's post, and I think this is an indication that Fleiss was doing whatever he could to encourage these two to make a lasting connection by STAYING OUT OF THEIR WAY. Very cool - and part of why this was, for me, the best season of TB to date.