Thread: Editing: Is Fleiss messing with us regarding the editing? **SPOILERS**

Re: Editing: Is Fleiss messing with us regarding the editing? **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by tidepool;2427373;
    Can anyone clear up why Fliess had these "i love you's" so chopped up between Andy and Tessa.
    Because Mike Fleiss works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.

In all seriousness, sometimes it's really very difficult to figure out why he does what he does. But, much of this doesn't matter much any longer, not only because this particular season is over, but since there were so many exceptions to the way the show was presented in previous seasons, I'm not even confident that ongoing dissection will yield much more in the way of knowledge going forward.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Oh , am I going to be using this phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by tidepool;2427373;
    Wondering if someone could help me out here with the editing on Tessa's last night before the FRC.
    On the Final Date with Andy, we know that Tessa tells him "I am in love with you," two times.
    The first time we hear/see it is when they're sitting at the foot of the bed (before opening the collage) and Tessa seems to be in pretty strong emotional control while saying it.
    "I found myself totally and completely falling in love with you..." Tessa goes on to say (as she really looks deep into Andy's eyes) "that this is totally and completly real to me...because I can't pretend...(kiss)
    Then we get another shot of them this time at the Top of the Bed.
    Tessa says (even with more feeling) "I'm in love with you and I want to be here tomorrow. I want to stay tomorrow and I want to stay with you...I love you." This is all said with really strong emotions.
    Then we get Andy's, "I love you Tessa Horst," and they get pretty passionate
    and then have Tessa's VO of her putting "everything out on the line."
    Can anyone clear up why Fliess had these "i love you's" so chopped up between Andy and Tessa.
    I certainly don't mind the extra declaration to Andy, but maybe someone can explain if the sequence really played out this way, or is it out of order?
    It really was out of order. The best indication of this was the collage. Watch where it is as the scenes are played.

The first time we hear/see it is when they're sitting at the foot of the bed (before opening the collage) and Tessa seems to be in pretty strong emotional control while saying it.
    "I found myself totally and completely falling in love with you..." Tessa goes on to say (as she really looks deep into Andy's eyes) "that this is totally and completly real to me...because I can't pretend...(kiss) -> Andy has not opened his present. I know this because this was after he read her note for him and he set the bag to his left

Then we get another shot of them this time at the Top of the Bed.
    Tessa says (even with more feeling) "I'm in love with you and I want to be here tomorrow. I want to stay tomorrow and I want to stay with you...I love you." Then we get Andy's, "I love you Tessa Horst," and they get pretty passionate -> the collage is out of the bag and is on the left side of the screen

then the scene after this is of Andy taking his present out of the bag but before that it looks like he wiped his tears and they were back at the foot of the bed again

It really was so chopped up. I can just imagine what the whole conversation must have been like.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2427394;

In all seriousness, sometimes it's really very difficult to figure out why he does what he does. But, much of this doesn't matter much any longer, not only because this particular season is over, but since there were so many exceptions to the way the show was presented in previous seasons, I'm not even confident that ongoing dissection will yield much more in the way of knowledge going forward.
    Ya, I hear you on this one
    I don't know why I'm obsessing over this matter, i guess the whole season had me a bit crazy with the chopped up dialogue. So. it's to be expected in the world of Tb

FORT Regular

rainysummer - thanks for trying to clear this up for me and explaining the sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by tidepool;2427461;
    rainysummer - thanks for trying to clear this up for me and explaining the sequence.
    You are welcome. I got confused too so I had to rewatch it and paid more attention, LOL as if I havent watched it enough. The editing this time around was really choppy and out of order which wasnt the case before in the past seasons.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by rainysummer;2427473;
    You are welcome. I got confused too so I had to rewatch it and paid more attention, LOL as if I havent watched it enough. The editing this time around was really choppy and out of order which wasnt the case before in the past seasons.
    The only thing I can figure is that if we had seen it the way it really happened, they would not have been able to give us that drama the next day of whom would he pick. I think by chopping it up, it made it a little more ambiguous. Even what we did see made it pretty obvious where his heart was. Also, I never had a doubt when he was looking at that ring, that Tessa was the one he was selecting it for. It was the same look we had been seeing when he looked at her ever since the "diamonds" date.

Quote Originally Posted by sulian;2427663;
    The only thing I can figure is that if we had seen it the way it really happened, they would not have been able to give us that drama the next day of whom would he pick. I think by chopping it up, it made it a little more ambiguous. Even what we did see made it pretty obvious where his heart was. Also, I never had a doubt when he was looking at that ring, that Tessa was the one he was selecting it for. It was the same look we had been seeing when he looked at her ever since the "diamonds" date.
    ITA! He described the ring as elegant and Tessa's the only one he's described like that. "Elegant and sophisticated", words he never used for Bevin.

I finally heard Andy tell Tessa:

"So you gone a have a big decission to make"

Tessa: "I know"

Although the Bach 11 contract stipulations regarding editing latitude are, I agree, troublesome--because these are real people TPTB have the right to humiliate--the fact that this was a Fleiss production was perhaps a significant bonding aspect of Tessa's and Andy's relationship. I'm not suggesting that Andy's and Tessa's relationship wasn't/isn't real, but rather that it was maybe more real because they together seemed more self-consciously aware of the fact that The Bachelor is a formulaic tv show--to the point that T&A de-constructed it on Fleiss's own cameras. I think that's one reason this has been my favorite season of the show.

I'm still mulling over those darned bootleg videos. The main reason, fandango, is that those vids created multiple narrative levels we could view, as did SpoilerBob’s photos of the Tahoe filming. We always knew the Wizard-of-Oz curtain was there, but for the first time to my Bach-knowledge, we had visual proof. I daresay Bevin’s videos show a bit of naïveté on Bevin's part. She is filming even when they are ostensibly off-camera--to perhaps prove that the Fleiss-hyped romance was real. Or maybe just the opposite--she is remarkably savvy and was recording for future leverage against Fleiss? (I don’t believe for a minute that her computer was hacked.)

It's impossible to know whether Tessa and Andy would’ve been as boring as Bevin and Andy clearly were in the bootleg videos. (I can’t say "off-camera" because there was still an additional overlay of “production” in the videos even though they were filmed by a participant rather than a film crew. Somehow, I can’t see Tessa having further documented their dates, given her aversion to cameras.) Indeed, there was some spoiler information posted on another board about TPTB asking Tessa and Andy during the Cinderella date to “heighten” (or, my preferred verb, “fleissen”) their romantic talk. But my point here is not to debate which woman—Bevin or Tessa—shared the great cinematic romantic “love of his life” experience with Andy. My point is that we have tons of evidence that one of the women—Tessa—attempted to strip away the Fleiss trappings. To a degree, Fleiss gave her license.

Contrast the “sanctuary” elevator scene between Andy and Bevin with the snow slopes get-away between Tessa and Andy. Both in Tahoe, the elevator scene (filmed) and the snow slopes interlude (unfilmed) are important to the narrative. Perhaps the elevator scene was Andy’s (albeit drunken) attempt to get Bevin to deconstruct the fantasy. I’m sure he’s spoofing the spa ad on the wall, as we’ve discussed before. But Bevin tries to turn that into reality. “That’s actually really romantic,” she says, in reference to his line, taken from the ad (how meta-cinematic can you get?) that she’s his sanctuary. Although we’ll never know what happened when Andy and Tessa got lost skiing, it’s really telling, I think, that that important bonding experience occurred off-camera (with Tessa as his sanctuary, I might add) and yet probably included some meta-conversation about what was going on on-camera.

That important de-constructive layer (important, I should say with the caveat that it was important this season with a bachelor with a presumably high IQ; I hope we’ll get that lucky as viewers again) was not apparent in Andy’s relationship with Bevin but was one of the integral aspects of his relationship with Tessa.

Take the fantasy date, for example. There’s the scene where Andy—and it seems to me from his facial expressions that it’s in mock-seriousness—presents Tessa with the fantasy suite invitation and she says, “I don’t know,” and we cut to a commercial. I really think that was pure spoof on Tessa's and Andy’s part. But they were in complicity. Although I do think that Andy and Tessa had an “amazing connection” to the point that they often finish each other’s sentences, the element I’m talking about is an awareness of the production and editorial aspects of the show. There are many instances when Tessa seems to already know what’s going to be said or what’s going to happen next—Andy’s explanation about happy hour when they’re on the mountain at sunset is a good example—that suggest to me that the crew may have brought Tessa more into the inner workings of the show—the Fleiss formula, so to speak. That, combined with Tessa’s hyperawareness of the cameras (again, I’m particularly referencing several scenes during the fantasy date when it’s clear that she’s self-conscious of the cameras) may have been one of the magic bullets for their relationship.

Both Tessa and Andy have commented in recent interviews that they relied heavily on each other while they were in the bubble of filming the tv season. In multiple ironies, what we fault Fleiss most for—his fabrication of romance—may have actually backfired this season into Fleiss’s best, truest most goofballiest romantic comedy. Andy got the girl. The girl got to question and even critique reality tv. And Fleiss got his ratings back.